The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
Apr 26, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #571 of 3,155
....but a little voice in my head keeps asking 'what if?'

LOL - the eternal audiophile quest!
rolleyes.gif

Be careful, Andy, it's a very slippery slope - if you're not careful, you'll be upgrading the mains spur to your house, just so you get better imaging and detail-retrieval whilst the DX90 USB lead is plugged into your laptop/computer/charger
biggrin.gif

(note - I am not mocking you, here, I'm just saying it can snowball rapidly into major geekiness if you're not careful, so, when it comes to audiophile tweaking, it pays to "know your limits!")
beerchug.gif

Apr 26, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #572 of 3,155
Tried another TF card to to get to bottom of Scan message evey time I turn on. This a 64Mb sandisc reformatted ex-fat. Just a couple of songs on. Reads fine, both directory and tag reading OK. DB file created and plays from it at each turn-on via tag without a scan. BUT Scan/browse message still needs cancelling every time. So nothing to do with original Scandisk ultra 64 card (which had been fine in X5, and reformatted many times now) Any ideas? I've tried factory restore.

Apr 26, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #573 of 3,155
LOL - the eternal audiophile quest! :rolleyes:

Be careful, Andy, it's a very slippery slope - if you're not careful, you'll be upgrading the mains spur to your house, just so you get better imaging and detail-retrieval whilst the DX90 USB lead is plugged into your laptop/computer/charger :D

(note - I am not mocking you, here, I'm just saying it can snowball rapidly into major geekiness if you're not careful, so, when it comes to audiophile tweaking, it pays to "know your limits!") :beerchug:  
LOL! I have a dedicated mains for my home system- I'm well acquainted with the slippery slope- I wear skis most of the time....

Apr 26, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #574 of 3,155
LOL - the eternal audiophile quest! :rolleyes:

Be careful, Andy, it's a very slippery slope - if you're not careful, you'll be upgrading the mains spur to your house, just so you get better imaging and detail-retrieval whilst the DX90 USB lead is plugged into your laptop/computer/charger :D

(note - I am not mocking you, here, I'm just saying it can snowball rapidly into major geekiness if you're not careful, so, when it comes to audiophile tweaking, it pays to "know your limits!") :beerchug:  

Had a new mains spur in lounge for HiFi :)

In fairness I needed more mains sockets in lounge so I thought why not!

Did it make a difference? Not to my ears.

Apr 26, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #575 of 3,155
LOL! I have a dedicated mains for my home system- I'm well acquainted with the slippery slope- I wear skis most of the time....

Had a new mains spur in lounge for HiFi :)

In fairness I needed more mains sockets in lounge so I thought why not!

Did it make a difference? Not to my ears.

LMAO! That is so funny that I accidentally called you on something you've already done, in reality! LOL

Glad you took my joke in the spirit intended, and realised I was joking with you, not at you
k701smile.gif

Apr 26, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #576 of 3,155
Yes, just plug in battery as though you were charging the DX90. I've not tried it without the internal battery in place, and I've not tried any of the replacement internal batteries (yet). My issue with replacing the internal battery is using it out of spec- it shouldn't be an issue, but a little voice in my head keeps asking 'what if?'
-Andy

Sounds good. I just ordered a slightly used one on Amazon for $35. I will report back if I hear any change in the sound.

Apr 26, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #577 of 3,155
I know, from a little experience with LED flashlights, that it can be very dangerous (potentially explosive!) to use Lithium cells in series (unless there is a protection circuit, as iBasso assured me is the case with the battery for the DX100), but any such concerns would not would not apply in the case of commercially-produced aftermarket high capacity batteries within the context of consumer electronics, since the voltage generally remains the same, and only the capacity increases; the idea being to simply swap out the standard battery pack with an electrically-equivalent, but higher-capacity, battery pack.

I wouldn't know if this capacity increase is accomplished by wiring 2 or more discrete packs in parallel, to make a larger capacity pack, or if these higher capacity packs are simply manufactured as a single (larger) cell.

However, the reason I mention the above is because I wonder if, in the scenario of a pack perhaps comprising 2 discrete cells wired in parallel, this might yield lower overall internal resistance, and thus, perhaps higher performance for our purposes.

SO.... the natural logical conclusion of this would be to experiment with trying various capacity sizes of compatible cells for the DX90. Anker certainly offer a variety of different capacities.

I don't own a DX90 yet, but would anyone be up for buying-&-trying 2 or 3 different capacities all from the same vendor?

Apr 26, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #578 of 3,155
LMAO! That is so funny that I accidentally called you on something you've already done, in reality! LOL

Glad you took my joke in the spirit intended, and realised I was joking with you, not at you :k701smile:  

I'm totally ok with the fact that you have to be just a little crazy to be an audiophile. It took me 6 months to place my speakers ***! It's amazing what we go through to squeeze out that last drop of audio quality. No offense taken-AT ALL!!

-Andy

Apr 26, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #582 of 3,155
I couldn't quite make it through all the garbled translation, but I tried.

I was most amused by all the photos, showing the headphones plugged into the coax port. ??
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, I wonder what were they thinking take a photo like that with headphones plugged in on the coax port. People not yet familiar with DX50/DX90 might think that is the HO port :)

Apr 26, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #583 of 3,155
I listened to some cheap bass heavy on the DX90's HO and then the LO and surprisingly the LO sounded a lot more detailed and clearer because it had much less bass lol. 

Apr 27, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #584 of 3,155
Yes, just plug in battery as though you were charging the DX90. I've not tried it without the internal battery in place, and I've not tried any of the replacement internal batteries (yet). My issue with replacing the internal battery is using it out of spec- it shouldn't be an issue, but a little voice in my head keeps asking 'what if?'
-Andy

I'll have to try this with my Anker external battery.

Apr 27, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #585 of 3,155
One thing I think I'd like iBasso to check out (now it isn't a BIG deal, because I haven't needed it) but the EQ is almost impossible to see - the sliders are about invisible - don't even think about using it outside - maybe if I could change the background to another, lighter color - then you could see the damned thing...

Agreed. Some Menu items are VERY difficult or impossible to see especially in bright daylight. I also wish that the Artist info and Album info below the Song Title were in White Text as opposed to medium grey. I may be a bit picky as I'm coming from the giant display on the Galaxy Note II, and it's customizable skins and fonts, etc.

FYI, as posted earlier in the thread..."To set the background, just place a 320*240 png file inside the root directory of dx90 and it will do."

IMO, it would be better to have the "BACK" & "HOME" touch-screen buttons at the bottom of the screen where the "My Music" & "Settings" touch buttons are. The scrolling and touch sensitivity seems a bit jumpy to me as well, but it just might take some getting used to compared to the other touch-screen devices I have.

Has anyone else noticed that when you turn on the EQ (even when it is set to all Zeros or "FLAT") that the overall volume output drops by about 20 steps? I suppose this is done in order to leave room for the possible +12dB boosts you can apply with the individual EQ bands.

Side Note: I just received mine yesterday from Pro Studio Music & Sound via AMAZON (they used U.S.P.S. Priority Mail for shipping from VA to SoCal) and included a free ~4"-long miniplug-to-female RCA coaxial digital adapter cable and a decent quality 6ft male-to-male RCA Coaxial digital cable. It shipped with v2.0.0 firmware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back