The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
Apr 17, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #106 of 3,155
To me HE-500 is borderline of what DX90 can pull satisfactory on it's own

Apr 17, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #107 of 3,155
XhlOhgU.jpg

greetings from HK :)
just got mine an hour ago.
I have dx50, dx100 and now dx90
My first impression on dx90 is that it defo worths its price (I got it with ~370usd). It sounds more like dx100 thanks to the dual 9018 dac

Hi there jackjack,

Could you please share with us where have you been able to get your awesome dx90 for 270$USD?

Do they have a webpage?

Thx in advance.

Apr 17, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #108 of 3,155
Sorry 370$... :banghead::banghead:

Cheers.

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #109 of 3,155
Definitely a pop at start up. But not overly painful.

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #110 of 3,155
To me HE-500 is borderline of what DX90 can pull satisfactory on it's own

So, standalone DX90 is able to drive the HE-500´s...

What about the Auzere LCD-2´s, do they really need extra amping to make them sound good or can the DX90 pull it off?

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #111 of 3,155
X5 vs. DX90 >>> TF10s
  1. X5: Bigger more intimate, blacker background, normally recessed mids are pushed forward for much improved signature. Also very noticeable is the fuller fully formed bass that is much more impactful. This is a lot of fun with vocals or my chill music that has a lot of black background that plays into the music.
  2. DX90: Wow, wide and very euphoric. The TF10 is warmer than my NT6pro CIEM so the euphoric nature comes through much stronger. Techno that lacks a black background anyways is really fun with the DX90/TF10.

While both DAPs bring the TF10 to the top of its game, my NT6pro still wipes the floor with it exposing the weaknesses of lower tier IEMs. However, I won't feel like I am missing as much when I reach for it to mow the lawn or go jogging. Although it is not an NT6pro, it is still fun and my go to IEM for the gym.

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #112 of 3,155
This is a copy of my impression post in the other DX90 thread :)

I am not good at audiophile descriptive terms and I think many people have provided some really good and useful impressions so I will keep mine short and to the point.

DX90 is my first audiophile grade DAP.
I am using my custom shelled SE530 and AKG545.

After a couple hours of listening using headphone out on mid-gain, I can happily say that I am quite impressed by the DX90's rendering of music.

It is detailed, but not harsh. It is layered, but the placement of instruments are not scattered.

The sound stage is satisfying but could definitely be even bigger.

The bass is well executed, albeit bassheads, which I am not, may find it slightly lacking (?)

With no previous DAP to compare it to (I had an iPhone 4 to play music), I give the DX90 a PASS with MERIT overall.
I do recommend this DAP.

Someone was asking about the delay in pressing the pause button, this is to stop the headphones from going pop when you pause or play, so I dont think it should be regarded as "poor response" or bug in FW.

Another thing is you cant plug the DX90 to the computer and play music on it at the same time - can only do that if you plug the DX90 into a wall socket - this is identical to the DX50 to my best knowledge.

The burn in continues...

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #113 of 3,155
So, standalone DX90 is able to drive the HE-500´s...

What about the Auzere LCD-2´s, do they really need extra amping to make them sound good or can the DX90 pull it off?

Yes it can drive them and sounds good but not to their full potential. LCD-2 I dont know about

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #114 of 3,155
X5 vs. DX90 >>> Monster Turbine Coppers
  1. X5: Big slam, almost too much for me with the X5's intimate signature. While it sounds great with the X5, it is a bit fatiguing. I'm not sure this is the greatest matchup with the coppers being so efficient. My best pairing for the coppers is with my C3 where they excel directly from the C3 rather than the typical C3/BH2 pairing. That is a must hear for all C3/Coppers owners.
  2. DX90: The Copper has the warmest signature of all my IEMs and can be fatiguing if paired wrong. However, the DX90 smooths it and gives it an ultra euphoric signature and widens the sound stage pulling back the performance to a more manageable space. I would say that this is a excellent pairing but may work better for some types of music over others. While the C3 cleans up the excessive warmth providing an unusual clarity to the coppers, the DX90 plays into the warmth moving it to euphoria with a smoother more appealing sound. It makes me want to pull my C3 out for comparison, but I have it boxed up for sale as part of my DAP clearance to justify my purchase of both these new more expensive DAPs. 
    rolleyes.gif

Apr 17, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #115 of 3,155
X5 vs. DX90 >>> LCD2
This is a tough one for me as I have been spoiled by my Mjolnir as well as m2man's 10K setup, so I know what the LCD2s and the rest of the Audeze family are capable of. Having said that, to be fair, for this comparison I will only focus on how the LCD2s compare to other headphones plugged into the DAPs which mainly for me would be my HD595. I know in advance that they blow other options away so this is not fair, but I promise not to wine too much about how much more LCD2s get out of a 10K setup. I will tell you right now, the LCD2 provides the best sound I have gotten from either DAP.
  1. X5: Volume 95 of 120 is my normal listening level, but I can turn the volume all the way up to 120 on high gain without any distortion nor shoutyness. While the signature stays warmer with the X5, it seems to be able to pull of a blacker background at the same time. The X5 feels like it powers the LCD2 better, but both DAPs are very capable. The sounds stage feels normal for an LCD2 on the X5 while the DX90 widens it. The top end is all there, but in a smoother more natural integration while the DX90's more apparent top end draws out the layering and details. The  X5's more congested soundstage can make some of the messy songs sound noisy while the DX90 spreads them out making it more forgiving of poor masterings. Bottom line is that this combination rocks and would make most anyone - but the most fussy high-end desktop owners - happy.
  2. DX90: Volume 225 of 255 is comfortable but higher than my normal listening level, but there is distortion at about 240 on. I would probably listen at 215. Yes, the LCD2 rocks with the DX90 so let me focus on characteristics. The first thing that stands out is the wider sound stage that catches me off guard every now and then as it is not a normal characteristic of the LCD2s. The LCD2s are a very euphoric HP so the euphoric DX90 signature plays very well with it bringing it closer to the LCD-X signature adding a more euphoric mid section sweatening the vocals. The other thing that stands out is that the top end is more apparent - like when I use my Mjolnir - brightening the typically darker signature. Bottom line is that this is a very nice sounding pairing that I could listen to for hours.

Apr 17, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #117 of 3,155
  X5 vs. DX90 >>> LCD2
This is a tough one for me as I have been spoiled by my Mjolnir as well as m2man's 10K setup, so I know what the LCD2s and the rest of the Audeze family are capable of. Having said that, to be fair, for this comparison I will only focus on how the LCD2s compare to other headphones plugged into the DAPs which mainly for me would be my HD595. I know in advance that they blow other options away so this is not fair, but I promise not to wine too much about how much more LCD2s get out of a 10K setup. I will tell you right now, the LCD2 provides the best sound I have gotten from either DAP.
  1. X5: Volume 95 of 120 is my normal listening level, but I can turn the volume all the way up to 120 on high gain without any distortion nor shoutyness. While the signature stays warmer with the X5, it seems to be able to pull of a blacker background at the same time. The X5 feels like it powers the LCD2 better, but both DAPs are very capable. The sounds stage feels normal for an LCD2 on the X5 while the DX90 widens it. The top end is all there, but in a smoother more natural integration while the DX90's more apparent top end draws out the layering and details. The  X5's more congested soundstage can make some of the messy songs sound noisy while the DX90 spreads them out making it more forgiving of poor masterings. Bottom line is that this combination rocks and would make most anyone - but the most fussy high-end desktop owners - happy.
  2. DX90: Volume 225 of 255 is comfortable but higher than my normal listening level, but there is distortion at about 240 on. I would probably listen at 215. Yes, the LCD2 rocks with the DX90 so let me focus on characteristics. The first thing that stands out is the wider sound stage that catches me off guard every now and then as it is not a normal characteristic of the LCD2s. The LCD2s are a very euphoric HP so the euphoric DX90 signature plays very well with it bringing it closer to the LCD-X signature adding a more euphoric mid section sweatening the vocals. The other thing that stands out is that the top end is more apparent - like when I use my Mjolnir - brightening the typically darker signature. Bottom line is that this is a very nice sounding pairing that I could listen to for hours.

Hi Barra,

Thanx for the clear description of SQ with DX90 / Audeze LCD2 combination (I was looking for that).
You connected the LCD2 straight to the DX90 right? If so, I will definitely go for LCD2's instead of the HE-500.

Apr 17, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #118 of 3,155
Hi there jackjack,

Could you please share with us where have you been able to get your awesome dx90 for 370$USD?

Do they have a webpage?

Thx in advance.

got it from iBasso/Miniaudio club in HK. They do have a page, but im not sure if im allowed to post it here. 
popcorn.gif
maybe u can google it

Ha anyone yet compared the line out of the DX50 or X5 with the line out of the DX90? How different are the outputs of the DACs versus how much difference do the amp sections make in the sound?

I have Dx50, Dx90, Dx100 with me. heres my rough comparison of their Line Out. and fyi Dx100 (es9018), Dx90 (es9018k2m), Dx50 (8740). My set up: DAP->amp->Q701
sorry for my poor english :p
powerful/ punchy: 100>90>50
sound stage/ "airy" : 90>100>50
accuracy: 100>90>50
"aftertaste" (idk how to explain this in english sorry) : 90~100>50
mid-bass: 90~100>50
Dx90 and Dx100 LO are more powerful and all-round, while Dx50 gives a more plain and soft expression

Apr 17, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #119 of 3,155
  X5 vs. DX90 >>> TF10s
  1. X5: Bigger more intimate, blacker background, normally recessed mids are pushed forward for much improved signature. Also very noticeable is the fuller fully formed bass that is much more impactful. This is a lot of fun with vocals or my chill music that has a lot of black background that plays into the music.
  2. DX90: Wow, wide and very euphoric. The TF10 is warmer than my NT6pro CIEM so the euphoric nature comes through much stronger. Techno that lacks a black background anyways is really fun with the DX90/TF10.

While both DAPs bring the TF10 to the top of its game, my NT6pro still wipes the floor with it exposing the weaknesses of lower tier IEMs. However, I won't feel like I am missing as much when I reach for it to mow the lawn or go jogging. Although it is not an NT6pro, it is still fun and my go to IEM for the gym.

Would you generally say, that the DX90 has no black background?

Apr 17, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #120 of 3,155
Euphonic is fine but I think that with burn in, that changes to more neutral and to my ears, the DX90 does have a black background. It also has little problem driving the HE560. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back