The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
May 24, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #1,066 of 3,155
^^ Yeah?   I might just do that on my DX50 as well b/c I am getting mighty sick of having to spend hours fighting my DAP.  Thanks for the tip.

May 24, 2014 at 4:47 AM Post #1,069 of 3,155
Nope, it doesn't, yes, it downsamples (so if you're a heavy user of hi-res music and you do hear a difference over 44.1 or 48/16, Rockbox on DX50 may not be for you)

Ah, thank you for clarifying.

There's actually a patch to enable higher resolutions on rockbox. I configured it myself to play 88.1 and 96 files on my rockboxed Sansa Fuze+.

That patch can be configured to play any hardware supported frequency.

May 24, 2014 at 8:01 AM Post #1,070 of 3,155
  Or you can wait for Rockbox. Playlist, tags, EQ and a lot more works perfectly on DX50.

True. But the point is that we REALLY shouldn't have to.

Those features (from Rockbox) should ALL be built into the stock DAP firmware & UI by now...don't you think so?!  They've had plenty of time to develop and refine the software/UI based solely on user feedback from the DX50, and most of the issues the DX90 still has really should have been eliminated JUST THROUGH COMMON SENSE.

Why should I pay good money for a product just to be frustrated?  Why should the Sound Signature change with every firmware update, when "just maybe" I don't want it to, and we're not even given the option to choose to keep the original SS or switch to the newer option from WITHIN the UI?

In all honesty, iBasso should have released this DAP with a perfect, non-buggy UI and firmware from the start.  Especially after all of the problems and frustrations of the DX50 release.  I don't want to sound harsh, but is it really too much to expect to have a product that just works?  I really don't understand how a company can get away with making their customers be the Guinea pigs, and now not just once, but twice in a row???  
confused_face_2.gif

This is not a 1st generation product where you might expect some minor bugs here or there.  This is their 3rd DAP!  If it's not ready for primetime, wait to release it until everything works.  And ***, do some THOROUGH testing of the units before even releasing it, and especially before releasing a new firmware that seems to break just as much as it fixed!  
blink.gif

We should NOT be experiencing ANY of these problems!   My circa 2000 Archos Jukebox 20GB PMP works better and more reliably!

Am I angry much?!?  LOL   
tongue.gif

SRSLY Tho'!

May 24, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #1,071 of 3,155

True. But the point is that we REALLY shouldn't have to.

Those features (from Rockbox) should ALL be built into the stock DAP firmware & UI by now...don't you think so?!  They've had plenty of time to develop and refine the software/UI based solely on user feedback from the DX50, and most of the issues the DX90 still has really should have been eliminated JUST THROUGH COMMON SENSE.

Why should I pay good money for a product just to be frustrated?  Why should the Sound Signature change with every firmware update, when "just maybe" I don't want it to, and we're not even given the option to choose to keep the original SS or switch to the newer option from WITHIN the UI?

In all honesty, iBasso should have released this DAP with a perfect, non-buggy UI and firmware from the start.  Especially after all of the problems and frustrations of the DX50 release.  I don't want to sound harsh, but is it really too much to expect to have a product that just works?  I really don't understand how a company can get away with making their customers be the Guinea pigs, and now not just once, but twice in a row???  
confused_face_2.gif

This is not a 1st generation product where you might expect some minor bugs here or there.  This is their 3rd DAP!  If it's not ready for primetime, wait to release it until everything works.  And ***, do some THOROUGH testing of the units before even releasing it, and especially before releasing a new firmware that seems to break just as much as it fixed!  
blink.gif

We should NOT be experiencing ANY of these problems!   My circa 2000 Archos Jukebox 20GB PMP works better and more reliably!

:standing applause: 

I got banned from the X5 thread for making the same point about FiiO, but I will make the same statement here about iBasso as well:  You guys need to get your act together.

Yes, it is complex, yes some bugs are going to happen.   But we arent talking about some little known situation or some unexpected byproduct of some line of code.    We are talking about very, very basic functionality - reading ID3 tags and building an indexed database from it.    We arent talking about a huge mess of ID3 tags even - take something like:
Title
Artist
Date - blank
Comments - blank
Track No
Genre
Album Artist
Composer
Picture

Neither of these players can parse this.    In this day and age?      Esp when iBasso is using Android under the engine?     

May 24, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #1,073 of 3,155
I thought everyone already knows what they are getting in to. After DX50 and DX100. I don't think there is anything new about DX90 that should surprise anyone.
tongue_smile.gif

The question is do you enjoy how it sound more than it's peculiarities.

I only need the title, artist and album Album cover. Which all works fine. Like T.R.A.N.C.E, browsing by folder is the best way to go. The database looks nice but it will be a nightmare sorting list once it becomes too long. The idea is just keep it simple and just enjoy the music. Even Tera Player has follower.

If the UI from iBasso and Fiio products bother you so much that it takes away the fun from listening to music, perhaps it's time to accept it's not for you. I'm sure there are other DAPs with better UI.

May 24, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #1,074 of 3,155
I don't understand why iBasso (and Fiio, and others) doesn't just donate a couple of players to rockbox developers.

They should also ask the admins to direct the players to developers like mortalis and jhMikeS. Some developers have more interest in sound quality than others.

May 24, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #1,075 of 3,155
I don't understand why iBasso (and Fiio, and others) doesn't just donate a couple of players to rockbox developers.

They should also ask the admins to direct the players to developers like mortalis and jhMikeS. Some developers have more interest in sound quality than others.

Rockbox is of the opinion that bits are bits and not that into the sound difference thing. They're all about functionality and options for increasing a devices viability for users but.... Rockbox codecs also don't play native HiDef. Probably not what many would want on a HiDef capable player. I liked Rockbox on a clip. Probably not so much on a DX90.

May 24, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #1,076 of 3,155
Rockbox is of the opinion that bits are bits and not that into the sound difference thing. They're all about functionality and options for increasing a devices viability for users but.... Rockbox codecs also don't play native HiDef. Probably not what many would want on a HiDef capable player. I liked Rockbox on a clip. Probably not so much on a DX90.

Yeah, I've been lurking the rockbox forums since 2005. Alredy then there were the wolfson iPods that were capable of playing 24/96 files in theory. Sadly, there has been a lot of resistance from some developers to enable best possible audio configurations.

May 24, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #1,077 of 3,155
Yep, when I several years ago approached the Rockbox community about hires playback I was told in no uncertain terms to b...er of as hires was just a useless hoax

May 24, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #1,079 of 3,155
Of course the DX90 utilizes ID3 tagging. I asked iBasso about a few situations where it wasn't working for all tags and they said that any bugs, which frankly happen in most any FW with any product I have ever had, will be fixed so that all of ID3 works well. 

I have started using the DX90 more and more with the JH13 Pros. I really like the combination. Excellent bass and the sound isn't confined to my head, more like a good closed phone. 

May 24, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #1,080 of 3,155

:standing applause: 

I got banned from the X5 thread for making the same point about FiiO, but I will make the same statement here about iBasso as well:  You guys need to get your act together.

Yes, it is complex, yes some bugs are going to happen.   But we arent talking about some little known situation or some unexpected byproduct of some line of code.    We are talking about very, very basic functionality - reading ID3 tags and building an indexed database from it.    We arent talking about a huge mess of ID3 tags even - take something like:
Title
Artist
Date - blank
Comments - blank
Track No
Genre
Album Artist
Composer
Picture

Neither of these players can parse this.    In this day and age?      Esp when iBasso is using Android under the engine?     

Couldn't agree more.

As a programmer, I wouldn't ever release code that works this ****ty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back