The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
May 5, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #721 of 3,155
Last week I finally got a nice DAC for my active speakers: The Audiolab M-DAC, a $1000+ ESS 9018 desktop DAC that won several awards last year. Plugging my CIEMs into the (suprisingly capable) headphone output, the first thing that struck me was how similar to the DX90 it sounded. When I have the time I'll do a comparison with the DX90 and the M-DAC both hooked up to my PB2 just to see if the $429 DX90 really keeps up with a $1000+ desktop unit.

Hi soren, what ciems will you be using on the comparison?

May 5, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #722 of 3,155
I already stated  clearly the difference it did with the sennheisers a few posts back.It has nothing to do with personal preference.Anyway, we are talking apples to oranges since apart from the dap we do not have the same equipment.The fact that you are satisfied with dx90 alone  for all your equipment is great.Besides I thought this thread was about giving your impressions.Thats what i did as honest as i could.Perhaps someone who has the same equipment without an amp and feels something is missing can benefit by going to a store and demoing himself.

May 5, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #723 of 3,155
  I do hope you are using audiophile-grade electrical tape...

True audiophile right here guys. 
wink.gif

You can get the 96khz 24 bit tape on Ebay!

May 5, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #725 of 3,155
Last week I finally got a nice DAC for my active speakers: The Audiolab M-DAC, a $1000+ ESS 9018 desktop DAC that won several awards last year. Plugging my CIEMs into the (suprisingly capable) headphone output, the first thing that struck me was how similar to the DX90 it sounded. When I have the time I'll do a comparison with the DX90 and the M-DAC both hooked up to my PB2 just to see if the $429 DX90 really keeps up with a $1000+ desktop unit.

Someone is getting some fancy stuff :wink:

I was thinking of doing the same but target the Oppo HA-1 when it'll come out, also an ESS 9018 Dac. We'll see if I am going to go there.

Let us know how this combo pans out. :beerchug:

May 5, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #726 of 3,155
How does this thing compare to the DX100? I really love the the sound of the 100, but the UI is pretty frustrating (slow, clunky navagation, playlist management sucks)-clearly not fitting of a product costing as much as it does, and the battery time sucks too (I listen to 256 AAC).

May 5, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #729 of 3,155
I bought the DX90 from a local dealer, after failing a bid on a used HDP-R10 last week from yahoo.jp

Also received my Yamaha EPH-100 today from mail. So I have got 2 new toys trying out tonight :->

I would say the DX90 does sound very nice, with the same sound signature of my Audio-gd NFB-1. I would say the DX90 amp section is good enough to drive low impedance IEM, but does not have enough voltage swing to drive high impedance ear bug like my 150ohm PK1 clone. The gain switch make just a bit of volume difference when driving the PK1 clone.

The quality improvement through LINE OUT to the Arrow 4G amp is quite obvious. The PK1 comes alive, and there are much better instrument separation, layering and sound stage with the EPH-100.

And yes, the EPH-100 is a good match (with or without the Arrow 4G) with the DX90. Very good dynamic!

Will do more burn-in to both the DX90 and EPH-100 to see if the amp section will improve, but I won't expect any major improvement. I also think -75db channel separation is kind of low for the amp section given its dual mono design.
Overall I am very happy with the DX90, as I already expected to use it with the Arrow 4G before purchase.

May 5, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #730 of 3,155
Have passed the 400 hour mark (has essentially been playing 24 hours a day for nearly 3 weeks, on loop with the IsoTek burn in cd when not listening to music). At a hotel enjoying DX90 with Tzar350, no problem driving this 350 ohm beast but has to be high gain and about 220 on the volume. Dont think I have heard them better than this.

Am listening to a 60s or 70s live radio broadcast of Mozarts Magic Flute with Boston Phil from Tanglewood and I'm there in one of the front rows. This is a monster detail rig, almost too much for this recording.

May 5, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #732 of 3,155
What the...? All i can say is that there is no bigger compliment i can give to this dap,as i already said in the sennheiser thread,other than the ie800 sound like a $5000 home system with a quality amp.The other daps didn't even come close to utilising 50% of the ie800 capabilities.To think i was considering selling them before i bought dx90...

May 5, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #733 of 3,155
I would say the DX90 does sound very nice, with the same sound signature of my Audio-gd NFB-1. I would say the DX90 amp section is good enough to drive low impedance IEM, but does not have enough voltage swing to drive high impedance ear bug like my 150ohm PK1 clone. The gain switch make just a bit of volume difference when driving the PK1 clone.

Doesn't seem to make sense. Are you talking about Yuin PK1?

May 6, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #734 of 3,155

Doesn't seem to make sense. Are you talking about Yuin PK1?

Yes, I was referring to the PK1. What I meant "does not have enough voltage swing" was not saying there was no sound or stupidly low volume. I was referring to the sound being congested and lack of dynamic. Switching to LINE OUT + Arrow 4G to drive the PK1 makes a big difference (bigger difference than compare to drive the EPH-100 with the Arrow 4G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back