The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
May 3, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #677 of 3,155
  What's next? Different sounding micro SD cards again? :wink:

LOL - I understand your skepticism and I actually agree with it, to a significant extent, but the DX90 battery is perhaps more believable, owing to the fact that the DX90 is trying to squeeze quite a lot of amp performance out of a pretty puny battery.  I support iBasso's approach of keeping the DAP light by using a small quick-swappable battery, rather than a non-swappable heavy brick of a battery, so I'm not criticising the battery, but I acknowledge that it is definitely a potential weak link in terms of current delivery.

May 3, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #678 of 3,155

LOL - I understand your skepticism and I actually agree with it, to a significant extent, but the DX90 battery is perhaps more believable, owing to the fact that the DX90 is trying to squeeze quite a lot of amp performance out of a pretty puny battery.  I support iBasso's approach of keeping the DAP light by using a small quick-swappable battery, rather than a non-swappable heavy brick of a battery, so I'm not criticising the battery, but I acknowledge that it is definitely a potential weak link in terms of current delivery.

Just saying that it might depend on the implementation. I've made the experience that my Meier Audio Quickstep sounds absolutely identical running from 9V battery or directly from 12V Power supply. The sound only breaks down immediately before the 9V battery is empty.

May 3, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #679 of 3,155

Time to change your avatar?
:D

The DX90 is better as was the AK120 I had but they don't make the 3rd Anniversary any worse. Except for the low bass which was always better on the DX90, the more it runs in, the more tonally similar it becomes. A3 is staying in the stable and I've never stopped enjoying it though the DX90 will get more use.

May 3, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #680 of 3,155
As one of the early adopters of dx90 I agree with most comments here.This player has a very dynamic albeit neutral character,with lots of detail,expansive,deep and airy soundstage,hard hitting controlled bass with just the right quantity to suit different types of iems.Coming from my sony f805 the difference is pretty big,especially in terms of soundstage,bass and imaging.It pairs extremely well with my modded shure 535,fa 4e xb and ie800.However i do not agree that it doesn't need a separate amp,especially with the ie800.My two armature iems sound very good with the dap alone, the ie800 when paired with my pico slim go into another tier altogether.When i first heard this combination my jaw dropped on the floor... it remained there for the next 6 and a half hours,when my ears gave out.The clarity increased dramatically(unamped i give the nod to fa 4e xb with ortofon tips),bass became even tighter,the air between the instruments and the ambience also increased and the treble due to the beautiful treble response of the slim became magical. My ie800 can finally play rock and metal and be addictive.The thick and heavy character of the senns is removed and in its place you have a lean and versatile iem capable of playing any type of music with immaculate precision and depth.I could not hear any of these differences when slim was connected to sony.

The dx90 is truly a high end dap which needs the right equipment to shine further.The fact that amplification from my understanding is done by the sabres instead of the built in amp means that pico slim can drive a lot of headphones also.

The Dx90 with ie800 and slim is propably one of the best mobile systems out there(I have heard quite a few).Highly recommented!

May 3, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #681 of 3,155
Yes amplification does make a difference. All my phones sound better from the balanced output of my SR71-B but for all except the HE-500 the difference is small enough that it is outweighed by the convenience of not having to lug 2 devices plus the dedicated charger for the SR71-B.

May 3, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #682 of 3,155
I agree with this, especially when it concerns the amps and the 535.The differences in sound quality do not warrant another amp.However the ie800 become instantly a much better iem with slim.The difference is apparent on first listen.I really cannot believe it.

May 3, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #683 of 3,155
Unlike DX50 the change pairing DX90 with an amp doesn't merit the inconvenience of lugging a stack. Most of the time, the difference is subtle. On casual listening, I don't notice any difference and I enjoy it unamp as much as amped. But then if you have an iem that doesn't sound good unamped, perhaps it's not a good pair for DX50. My JH16 and Roxanne sound the same overall directly from DX90 or my UHA-6SMKII. Take note I have not done a critical comparison yet, I just tried a more casual listening both amped and unamped and I have not detected any noticeable difference.

Perhaps when I do a side by side comparison I'll notice some difference but I'm confident it's not much and I will still enjoy DX90 unamped and it will be much more convenient than carrying a stack when out and about.

May 4, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #684 of 3,155
I am now listening via DX90's line out and my UHA-6SMKII still using my T1. It appears I prefer the headphone out of DX90 over the external amp. With the UHA-6SMKII, it feels like it adds more power behind the music, more kick and grunt on the bass but at the expense of imaging, instrument separation and depth. With the external amp, instrument placement, imaging and depth suffers. It feels the soundstage is compressed. The bass may have a harder kick but the DX90's HO is not lacking either. I think it blends well with the mids and treble.

I think the dual-DACs that separates the L and R channels work best with the internal amp of DX90. Each stage after the DAC on the chain is on a separate channel up until it reachs your headphone which I believe creates that amazing stereo imaging, separation and soundstage.

DX90 is just getting much more interesting the longer I use them.

May 4, 2014 at 6:50 AM Post #685 of 3,155
Well, pico slim is double the money of Leckerton.Instrument separation,imaging,transparency and articulation are very strong points of this amp.It lacks a bit in the soundstage department compared to bigger amps but dx90 easily solves this problem.It also doesn't have big bass quantity(which ie800 does not need) but the bass definition and slam is fantastic.Again i recomment this trio specifically because it removes certain problems of each component while amplifying each others strengths.Besides slim is one third the size of dx90.I still consider it mobile when paired with Ibasso.

May 4, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #689 of 3,155
  Can anyone confirm that the DX90 cannot be used while plugged in and charging?

You can play while charging but not in data transferring mode on computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back