The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
May 1, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #646 of 3,155
By the way, I have asked  Ibasso what volume and gain setting should i have on DX90 when using the portable amp

i got the following reply.
"
Hi,
We recommend to set the volume to max when you are using the DX90's line out.
Gain setting doesnt affect the line out .

Sincerely
iBasso Audio
"

May 2, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #648 of 3,155
I don't get why you say this. First of all at mp4nation the DX90 costs 429USD which includes tracked express shipping, on the iBasso site the DX90 costs 419USD + 22USD for shipping to my country -> 442USD total. I will sell the R3's here for a low price to get sort of a free discount on my DX90 and maybe all in all get it for 350USD or so. Given that people in this thread got their order from mp4nation I'm trusting them to send mine out as well. Besides, from what I read you can send the DX90 directly to iBasso if you have warranty issues.

May 2, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #649 of 3,155
I bought from Mp4nation too,.
even without the R3, it is still good, as i live in Canada, they still send to me  using fedex.
with no extra charge.

R3 is just a bonus

May 2, 2014 at 3:47 AM Post #650 of 3,155

I am getting a pretty good result with my portable set up.
(Love the Muses 01 in my E12 DIY)
going to bring with me whenever i can.!!!!

Love it!

May 2, 2014 at 3:52 AM Post #651 of 3,155
I don't get why you say this. First of all at mp4nation the DX90 costs 429USD which includes tracked express shipping, on the iBasso site the DX90 costs 419USD + 22USD for shipping to my country -> 442USD total. I will sell the R3's here for a low price to get sort of a free discount on my DX90 and maybe all in all get it for 350USD or so. Given that people in this thread got their order from mp4nation I'm trusting them to send mine out as well. Besides, from what I read you can send the DX90 directly to iBasso if you have warranty issues.

Yeah that's my bad. I thought the 429 price does not include shipping.

May 2, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #652 of 3,155
I thought so, that's ok. 
k701smile.gif

May 2, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #653 of 3,155
I currently don't own any IEMs (Had the shure e2c years ago, but my dog chewed them up) and after reading some about the R3 I think I will be quite pleased using them, especially since I have nothing better to compare to as of now.

May 2, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #654 of 3,155
I'm loving the sound with the Earsonic S-EM6 - lots of detail, lush sound, great bass.

But the battery life on this sucks - I had a full charge this morning, have listened to 3 albums, and now down to a quarter of a bar.  Hardly 8 hours, more like 3 
mad.gif

May 2, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #655 of 3,155
I'm getting at least 7 hours on a full charge with Roxanne most of the time and T1 for at least an hour. Speaking of which, my DX90 just log past 300 hours of burn in time. It's almost time for serious comparison :)

May 2, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #656 of 3,155
I'm getting at least 7 hours on a full charge with Roxanne most of the time and T1 for at least an hour. Speaking of which, my DX90 just log past 300 hours of burn in time. It's almost time for serious comparison :)

Actually, I would find that very helpful & appreciate that from you and others who have had the Dx90 for some time now. Hopefully you have passed the initial first five minute "love-in" stage by now and can provide a more considered view after much listening of the quality of the DX90 (together with a view of it versus the dx50).

I will be using my dx50 amped only through its LO, so I am keen to know just how much better the DAP of the DX50 is against the DX50.

That will enable me to decide whether to push the order button on May 7th when Ibasso has the units back in stock. :D

May 2, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #657 of 3,155

Am I understanding correctly that with the Beyers you only get 1 hour!

EDIT, ah I think you mean a combined 7 hours? LOL

May 2, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #659 of 3,155
But the battery life on this sucks - I had a full charge this morning, have listened to 3 albums, and now down to a quarter of a bar.  Hardly 8 hours, more like 3 :mad:

I'd say headwhacker's experience re: battery life is about right. My experience is about the same, but I'm using the T1's almost exclusively...I don't own any decent IEMs yet, just cheap Sony and Samsung smartphone earbuds which are obviously horrible. Maybe headwhacker will send me his Roxanne's to "test", LOL.

So yeah, I'm also getting about 7 hours average with the T1's. That's with the DX90 set to Mid-Gain and Volume between 215-245 (depends a lot on the individual track/type of music, and if it's a noisy or quiet environment). HOWEVER, I find that the battery life is reduced SIGNIFICANTLY when the display's backlight is kept on due to lots of navigating/choosing tracks/settings, etc. If you just set it to shuffle tracks, or use a playlist and just let it play through without intervention, you should get at least 6-7 hours of playback. Even still, I am considering the purchase of the extended 4400mah battery. I wish iBasso would offer this with an optional back cover plate.

BTW, the DX90 drives the T1's brilliantly...I'm ecstatic that I don't have any need or desire to combine it with a separate amp! The SQ in all aspects is quite amazing for the price, and my desktop rig is collecting quite a bit of dust since the DX90 arrived. :wink: I'm a former drummer and saxophonist, and with well-recorded tracks this DAP provides stunning realism and "you-are-there" detail. I can't put it down. :)

@headwhacker, now I'd really like to know how the Roxanne's compare SQ-wise to the T1's??? With this little DAP, I obviously want some IEMs for portability, but I really don't want to sacrifice the amazing SQ that I'm hearing with the T1's. IYO, will the Roxanne's but a step up, step down, or equal? How are they different?

Since the DX90 has eliminated my desire or need to drop big money on the AK120 or 240 and/or a separate portable amp, I just might have to repurpose those funds to pick up some quality IEMs/CIEMs. :p

Thanks.

May 2, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #660 of 3,155
T1 is still better compared to Roxanne in terms of overall tone and timbre. The music still feels a bit more natural on T1 than on Roxanne. If you like the treble of T1 (which is dreaded by some people who hate it) then you will find Roxanne a bit lacking. However, Roxanne as an iem resolves every bit of detail if your source is capable enough (DX90 is more than capable) and to me it provides a listening experience closer to a full-size headphone rather than any iem/ciem I ever tried. Even the JH16 while also good still makes me feel I'm listening to an iem, (that is the sound is coming from inside my head, while Roxanne somewhat gives the illusion the sound is in front of me.)

It has a similar presentation as the Audeze headphones. The thick/deep bass and a relax mids and treble reminds me of LCD-2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back