The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
Dec 29, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #3,061 of 3,155
I'm buying another powered hard drive - that external one is a good item to have regardless.

Jan 9, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #3,062 of 3,155
I bought a Seagate powered 3TB hard drive and it didn't work. Then, I re-bought the first hard drive that kinda worked and it didn't work either. This is ******* ridiculous.

Does anyone have any evidence of this properly working with a hard drive? Can someone provide a specific list of models they used?

I'm reformatting this new one and if that doesn't work and nobody can hip me to one that worked for them, I quit.

Jan 9, 2017 at 11:31 PM Post #3,063 of 3,155
Does anyone have any evidence of this properly working with a hard drive? Can someone provide a specific list of models they used?
You may search for my posts. I have some WD My Passport Ultra, old and new models, 2TB and 3TB. With an external power supply they all work flawlessly. Some formatted with NTFS, some with exFAT, partitioned with MBR. Never tried GPT.

Please note, that for MBR to work with >2TB devices, an HDD should report 4KB sectors. That's what WD does.

I tried (rather old now) WD My Book 3TB, also successfully.

Never tried any other vendors.

Jan 9, 2017 at 11:48 PM Post #3,064 of 3,155
You may search for my posts. I have some WD My Passport Ultra, old and new models, 2TB and 3TB. With an external power supply they all work flawlessly. Some formatted with NTFS, some with exFAT, partitioned with MBR. Never tried GPT.

Please note, that for MBR to work with >2TB devices, an HDD should report 4KB sectors. That's what WD does.

I tried (rather old now) WD My Book 3TB, also successfully.

Never tried any other vendors.
Thank you - if this doesn't work, I'll try the WD hard drives.

Humour me - what external power supply do you use?

Jan 10, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #3,067 of 3,155
Do you have a proper otg cable?

Yes, the same one that read off of the corrupt hard drive I had originally, as well as the same one I use to hook up to a USB card reader.

A power bank mostly, or my usual chargers.

How do you use an external hard drive with a power bank at the same time as the player?

Jan 10, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #3,068 of 3,155
How do you use an external hard drive with a power bank at the same time as the player?

Have you already read my previous posts about that?

Jan 10, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #3,069 of 3,155

I thought I did, but all I saw was mentioning of a power supply in general. I'll dig.

Jan 10, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #3,070 of 3,155

I thought I did, but all I saw was mentioning of a power supply in general. I'll dig.
In brief, there are two options: either a USB Y-cable for HDD, or a powered USB hub. Both can be connected either to a power bank, or to any wall charger.

Jan 11, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #3,071 of 3,155
In brief, there are two options: either a USB Y-cable for HDD, or a powered USB hub. Both can be connected either to a power bank, or to any wall charger.

Bought these puppies:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01LQQHF2W/
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B005AS337Y/

(that hub is the same that I originally purchased!)

If this doesn't work, I'm done trying

EDIT: Now I'm worried that there's something magic about the older, "Ultra" version that this newer version doesn't have.

Jan 11, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #3,072 of 3,155

Bought these puppies:

Have you tested your USB OTG cable that it works at all, e.g. with a flash cardreader or stick?

Jan 11, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #3,073 of 3,155
  Have you tested your USB OTG cable that it works at all, e.g. with a flash cardreader or stick?

Yep, the same OTG cable that I use with my flash card I use with these HDs.

Jan 12, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #3,074 of 3,155
Holy ****! I plugged in the hard drive into the hub and that into the music player, and I was able to read the directories! Now onto copying 400GB of music!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back