The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
Jan 20, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #2,881 of 3,155
Thank YOU A LOT! I totally forgot that the iBasso has settings for the USB! Now everything is ok. I even cant remember when I putted it on charge only... anyway... THANK YOU! Ill try the Lurker edition right now for the first time! Is there any option for deleting tracks in that FW? Maybe the only thing I really dont like is that when I listen to some song and I see I dont like that song I cannot delete it but only trough my computer.

Hello everybody,

I'm looking to buy an Ibasso, and i am deciding between:
-dx50 because it's the cheapest;
-dx80 because of its design;
-dx90 because it's the newest model.

what would you guys say are the main differences between them?

I decided to look into these players because i wish to have a portable amp&dac, and because the laptop that I'm using has an insufferable, deafening hiss. Curiously it's the same laptop [Lenovo y50] as the guy I'm quoting.
So I ask you too, how is the audio out of the Lenovo y50, then ibasso?

So I'm looking to know if the players have any distortion, and I'm using the AKG K545 and Shure SE315 IEMS, which are extremely sensitive, and I hate any kind of distortion.

Jan 20, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #2,882 of 3,155
Hello everybody,

I decided to look into these players because i wish to have a portable amp&dac, and because the laptop that I'm using has an insufferable, deafening hiss. Curiously it's the same laptop [Lenovo y50] as the guy I'm quoting.

So I'm looking to know if the players have any distortion, and I'm using the AKG K545 and Shure SE315 IEMS, which are extremely sensitive, and I hate any kind of distortion.

The DX80 is the newest. Some people hear hiss with very sensitive IEM's on the Dx80 and some don't. I do not hear any and have pretty sensitive hearing. The DX90 has been reported to be quiet by all that have heard it, from what I have read. 

Jan 20, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #2,884 of 3,155
Hello everybody,

Hey the hiss comes from the K545s I have them also. Their maximum is ONLY 50mw yes not even 500, only 50. The Y50 has astonishing sound! Smooth and full!. DX90 is cleaner and richer/more detailed. But still sonetimes I listen to my Y50 fir diversity :wink:

Jan 20, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #2,887 of 3,155
btw by iBasso its so, the higher the number the better the sound: DX100>DX90>DX80>DX50 (do you feel the gap, yeah maybe DX50 sound much worse than the others :wink:)DX100 costet twice as DX90 but it was discontinued far before DX90. It had not DAC chips for mobile uses as DX90 or Onkyo DP-X1 but solid desktop version as far as I remember. The newest firmware of the DX90 (2.4) is a BEAST! Sounds much more adventurous than the previous ones even thats not only my opininion but of the majority. And remember for DX90 they still make FWs and its as it you get new player every 4-5 months :wink: its insane I love iBasso :wink:))

I dont know hoe its by the others but by DX90 its real iBASSo, bot like ordinary players or amps 20 to 20khz but it starts from 16Hz now they say 17Hz, I listen to the DX90 directly with my ATH WS99 and it has no comprimises in the bassy rhythmic dansing genres. Now I received the Cayin C5 but not listened to it yet (DX90 has output around 150-180mW by high gain but then 3db nore distortion whilst C5 800mW with minimal distorsion but starting from 20hz to 20kHz :wink: Ill erite down my impressions later :wink: WS99 is 1000mW and m50x is 1600 they will definitely be "satiated" by the powerful amp C5, Ill see how it will be on real :)

C5 is not only powerful its from high quality and they say it does magic to the music and to the bass, they say (everybody) its much more detailed punchy and clear and so on than the Fiio E12 (880mW little bit cheaper)

Jan 20, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #2,888 of 3,155
4 or 5 months for firmware update is nothing to brag about.  If they had firmware updates more often, then alot of these issues may have been fixed long ago, and better things would have been happening by now.  My guess is they work on firmware a few weeks at a time and do nothing for months.  Or they have limited staff that takes months to get updates through.

Jan 20, 2016 at 11:58 PM Post #2,889 of 3,155
  4 or 5 months for firmware update is nothing to brag about.  If they had firmware updates more often, then alot of these issues may have been fixed long ago, and better things would have been happening by now.  My guess is they work on firmware a few weeks at a time and do nothing for months.  Or they have limited staff that takes months to get updates through.

My take on the updates is that the DX90/50 are no longer a priority so we should feel lucky that iBasso supports them at all. Just my opinion. 

Jan 21, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #2,890 of 3,155
My take on the updates is that the DX90/50 are no longer a priority so we should feel lucky that iBasso supports them at all. Just my opinion. 

I don't think so. There should have been no need to so many updates after release to the market. We all paid for an unfinished product then. Never mind, I have changed to a Japanese brand and am staying away from Chinese in the future.

Jan 21, 2016 at 4:43 AM Post #2,893 of 3,155

I don't think so. There should have been no need to so many updates after release to the market. We all paid for an unfinished product then. Never mind, I have changed to a Japanese brand and am staying away from Chinese in the future.

Any DAP, by any company, is just a specialized computer with software that allows it to play music and as such, will have bugs that are discovered with use and then fixed via updates. Also, just like a computer, new features will be added via updates. Once a computer (DAP) becomes a legacy device (discontinued), support eventually stops. It's been almost three years since the last update for the DX100. IMHO, I would only complain if the DX90/50 were deeply flawed and iBasso dropped them. 

Jan 21, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #2,894 of 3,155
just 1hour back I installed v 2.4.0.
Before that I was installed and tried all firmwares and sticked to V2.1.0 which was suited to taste (interms of soundstage and bass).
But after listening to v2.4.0 below were my observations

1)best sound-stage ever before (able to listen more details for the same songs I was listened on other firmwares).
2)better bass when compared to other firmwares

Bug:
When trying to increase/decrease volume its getting low than the current when volume screen is active, after changing while switching back to default screen from volume level screen, its increasing 3 to 4 steps volume.

Please post your observations also.

Jan 21, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #2,895 of 3,155
Hello everybody,

The DX80 is the newest. Some people hear hiss with very sensitive IEM's on the Dx80 and some don't. I do not hear any and have pretty sensitive hearing. The DX90 has been reported to be quiet by all that have heard it, from what I have read. 

But do you have IEMs? as you can imagine, they are most susceptible to hiss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back