The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
Jan 21, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #2,897 of 3,155
Hello everybody,

I'm looking to buy an Ibasso, and i am deciding between:
-dx50 because it's the cheapest;
-dx80 because of its design;
-dx90 because it's the newest model.

what would you guys say are the main differences between them?

I decided to look into these players because i wish to have a portable amp&dac, and because the laptop that I'm using has an insufferable, deafening hiss. Curiously it's the same laptop [Lenovo y50] as the guy I'm quoting.
So I ask you too, how is the audio out of the Lenovo y50, then ibasso?

So I'm looking to know if the players have any distortion, and I'm using the AKG K545 and Shure SE315 IEMS, which are extremely sensitive, and I hate any kind of distortion.

Hey the hiss comes from the K545s I have them also. Their maximum is ONLY 50mw yes not even 500, only 50. The Y50 has astonishing sound! Smooth and full!. DX90 is cleaner and richer/more detailed. But still sonetimes I listen to my Y50 fir diversity :wink:

I highly doubt the source of the hiss is from our K545, as headphones are capable of doing so (I'm talking in physics here)

Also how rare is it that we both have the same headphones, laptop, and most likely same DAP?? what phone do you have? LG G3? :D

Jan 21, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #2,898 of 3,155
My take on the updates is that the DX90/50 are no longer a priority so we should feel lucky that iBasso supports them at all. Just my opinion. 

I don't think so. There should have been no need to so many updates after release to the market. We all paid for an unfinished product then. Never mind, I have changed to a Japanese brand and am staying away from Chinese in the future.

What brand would that be? Sony?

Please tell me about your journey with Ibasso, i want to read the unfavourable opinions too.

Jan 21, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #2,899 of 3,155
Then it's no good, I shouldn't have to mod a 400€ device to have it sound "right"

The DX90 sounds very good and I have plenty to compare to. Everyone has their own opinion. Some like to mod and feel it improves and some just like the change. 

Jan 21, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #2,900 of 3,155
Hello everybody,

I decided to look into these players because i wish to have a portable amp&dac, and because the laptop that I'm using has an insufferable, deafening hiss. Curiously it's the same laptop [Lenovo y50] as the guy I'm quoting.

So I'm looking to know if the players have any distortion, and I'm using the AKG K545 and Shure SE315 IEMS, which are extremely sensitive, and I hate any kind of distortion.

The DX90 is extremely quiet, no hiss whatsoever, however it is a bit unstable as a DAC, I am not sure if it is still a problem but 64bit Windows used to blue screen so I'd try before.

The DX80 that I have now works ok but it is not as quiet and I personally do not like its sound signature at all, it seems a bit too digital and hollow, I much preferred the DX90.

Never had or have heard of the DX50.

Jan 21, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #2,901 of 3,155
No, just go

Please tell me about your journey with Ibasso, i want to read the unfavourable opinions too.

No, Onkyo. Just didn't like a product that was never finished. The UI sucks, it took an hour to scan a 256GB SD card, crashes every so often, the small screen where it was hit or miss and the SQ wasn't so special. Mind you I am pretty spoilt from my stereo setup. With Onkyo almost all is resolved, the SQ probably never will reach a proper stereo setup on any mobile system, but I can live with that

Jan 21, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #2,902 of 3,155
Doing a comparison of the DX80 and posted in the wrong thread. edited

Jan 22, 2016 at 3:02 AM Post #2,903 of 3,155
No, just go

No, Onkyo. Just didn't like a product that was never finished. The UI sucks, it took an hour to scan a 256GB SD card, crashes every so often, the small screen where it was hit or miss and the SQ wasn't so special. Mind you I am pretty spoilt from my stereo setup. With Onkyo almost all is resolved, the SQ probably never will reach a proper stereo setup on any mobile system, but I can live with that

Have you tried rockboxing it? seems to me that would solve every problem you have, as it's all software related.

What Onkyo product are you using? does it do DAC from pc?

Jan 22, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #2,904 of 3,155
Hello everybody,

G'day m1ko.  You should look at my reply as one of a librarian or researcher.  I own the DX50.  I have read every post of all DX50, DX90, DX80 threads.  Each one has 3 threads each.  Therefore I am an owner of 1 of these and an enthusiast of all three.

For Hiss:
You said that you wish to have a portable amp and DAC and use them with very sensitive iem.  With an external amp, your hiss will more than likely be minimal.  Or it will be a result of the amp.  I have read that the DX90 has a fantastically deep and black background.  Some who have owned both state that the DX80 has more hiss than the DX90.  For that reason, I would suggest you look deeper into the DX90.  It has also been stated that the DX80 currently has a "pulse" or 'thrumb" or a deep pressure sound between tracks caused by the chipset used.  It seems that this pressure is more discernible on the higher sensitivity iems.  Others with headphones/iems that are not so sensitive state that they hardly hear it, or have to strain very hard to hear it.  (Again, this points to the DX90 for you.)  I have not heard a DX80 or 90, so I cannot comment.  (other than as someone who reads all the posts).

DX90 has 2 sabre DACs and the general consensus from the thread is that it is an extremely pleasant sound.  Major negative is the battery length.  8h or less, I believe.  However, it is a Samsung Galaxy S3 battery.  So you can buy and charge backups, and swap out if you need more time.  DX50 uses same batteries.  DX80 is a non-user replaceable battery.  But has better life than DX90.

External amp:
As I mentioned, I have the DX50, and got it about 3 or 4 months after release.  I have had no problems with it.  I use it 90% of the time with line out to a portable or desktop amp.  8% of the time with Coaxial out to an integrated amp.  1-2% of the time with headphone out.  It matches perfectly with the Ray Samuels Intruder amp.  Physically and sonically.  The Intruder should provide the black background with no hiss that you are looking for.  (But I have never heard your headphones and can only surmise.)  I utilize the line out for the RSA Intruder.  Another thought is a chord mojo.  You should be able to input with the coaxial input from the DX90 to the mojo.

I feel like I've been steering you toward the DX90, but that would be because of your concern about hiss, and your (stated) extremely sensitive iem.  If you get an external amp for the DX80, that may not be an issue.

Mods:
There have been some people who have sent their DX90s (and maybe DX50s - but I'm not sure) to a gentleman in Russia who replaces some of the components in the amp with upgraded components and a cleaner power supply.  This could be what they guys are talking about with respect to the mods.  I have read that everyone who got the mod absolutely loved it.  You can research that more to determine your specific need.

Overall, I am extremely happy with my DX50.  Since I still have it, and haven't upgraded to the 90 or the newly released 80.  If you can live with the shorter battery life and 1 micro SD slot, then my suggestion would be DX90 for you.  (only because of the sensitivity, hiss, and pulse factor.)

Also.  John Amato (Jamato8) has been replying with most of the same things I have said.  He is well respected, and I believe has had all 3 versions.  Along with the RSA Intruder, Chord Mojo.  And I know he has some sensitive iems as well.

Hopefully this helps some.  Feel free to ask questions, and if I can answer, I will.

Jan 22, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #2,905 of 3,155
Have you tried rockboxing it? seems to me that would solve every problem you have, as it's all software related.

No, was never interested in rockboxing, just wanted to enjoy music. Now I use the Onkyo DP-X1, a wonderful machine in almost all aspects. Dac used on my Mac is ifi idsd micro

Jan 22, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #2,906 of 3,155
I highly doubt the source of the hiss is from our K545, as headphones are capable of doing so (I'm talking in physics here)

Also how rare is it that we both have the same headphones, laptop, and most likely same DAP?? what phone do you have? LG G3? :D

I have 5 headphones :pp And my telephone is Nokia 925 :))) I wait for the new Lenovo P1 (maybe P2) I bought new battery for mine Nokia and soon it will come Windows 10. So although its 2 years old its possible it can become brand new :) even though now its working properly without lag. Not the same by my Samsung Note1.

Jan 23, 2016 at 3:53 AM Post #2,907 of 3,155

No, was never interested in rockboxing, just wanted to enjoy music. Now I use the Onkyo DP-X1, a wonderful machine in almost all aspects. Dac used on my Mac is ifi idsd micro

Well why not give it a try? I'm guessing you have that ibasso sitting in a corner unused, might aswell play around with it!

That Onkyo is wayyy out of my budget! :/

Jan 23, 2016 at 4:04 AM Post #2,908 of 3,155
Hello everybody,

G'day m1ko.  You should look at my reply as one of a librarian or researcher.  I own the DX50.  I have read every post of all DX50, DX90, DX80 threads.  Each one has 3 threads each.  Therefore I am an owner of 1 of these and an enthusiast of all three.

For Hiss:
You said that you wish to have a portable amp and DAC and use them with very sensitive iem.  With an external amp, your hiss will more than likely be minimal.  Or it will be a result of the amp.  I have read that the DX90 has a fantastically deep and black background.  Some who have owned both state that the DX80 has more hiss than the DX90.  For that reason, I would suggest you look deeper into the DX90.  It has also been stated that the DX80 currently has a "pulse" or 'thrumb" or a deep pressure sound between tracks caused by the chipset used.  It seems that this pressure is more discernible on the higher sensitivity iems.  Others with headphones/iems that are not so sensitive state that they hardly hear it, or have to strain very hard to hear it.  (Again, this points to the DX90 for you.)  I have not heard a DX80 or 90, so I cannot comment.  (other than as someone who reads all the posts).

DX90 has 2 sabre DACs and the general consensus from the thread is that it is an extremely pleasant sound.  Major negative is the battery length.  8h or less, I believe.  However, it is a Samsung Galaxy S3 battery.  So you can buy and charge backups, and swap out if you need more time.  DX50 uses same batteries.  DX80 is a non-user replaceable battery.  But has better life than DX90.

External amp:
As I mentioned, I have the DX50, and got it about 3 or 4 months after release.  I have had no problems with it.  I use it 90% of the time with line out to a portable or desktop amp.  8% of the time with Coaxial out to an integrated amp.  1-2% of the time with headphone out.  It matches perfectly with the Ray Samuels Intruder amp.  Physically and sonically.  The Intruder should provide the black background with no hiss that you are looking for.  (But I have never heard your headphones and can only surmise.)  I utilize the line out for the RSA Intruder.  Another thought is a chord mojo.  You should be able to input with the coaxial input from the DX90 to the mojo.

I feel like I've been steering you toward the DX90, but that would be because of your concern about hiss, and your (stated) extremely sensitive iem.  If you get an external amp for the DX80, that may not be an issue.

Mods:
There have been some people who have sent their DX90s (and maybe DX50s - but I'm not sure) to a gentleman in Russia who replaces some of the components in the amp with upgraded components and a cleaner power supply.  This could be what they guys are talking about with respect to the mods.  I have read that everyone who got the mod absolutely loved it.  You can research that more to determine your specific need.

Overall, I am extremely happy with my DX50.  Since I still have it, and haven't upgraded to the 90 or the newly released 80.  If you can live with the shorter battery life and 1 micro SD slot, then my suggestion would be DX90 for you.  (only because of the sensitivity, hiss, and pulse factor.)

Also.  John Amato (Jamato8) has been replying with most of the same things I have said.  He is well respected, and I believe has had all 3 versions.  Along with the RSA Intruder, Chord Mojo.  And I know he has some sensitive iems as well.

Hopefully this helps some.  Feel free to ask questions, and if I can answer, I will.

G'day friend!

thank you for your comprehensive post!

I have come to the conclusion that i will get the dx50, because:

-the dx90 supposedly sounds best, but poor battery life, having to mod it.

-dx80 has pops, thuds,I'm not paying 400€+ to have a less than perfect device, and no confirmed rockbox support,no removable battery.

dx50 on the other hand has:
-Rockbox support;
-mostly no hiss (reading from your post)
-cheapest and known to go on sales,
-still developed (on its thread the ibasso guy said that he will forward a glitch to the software team, and that was yesterday, for a 3 year old device with a chip released in 2011!)

-removable battery that is always a plus

So I'm asking you, would you use the dx50 exclusively to listen to music (as in laptop>dx50>AKG K545 or Shure se315)?

And is it easy to set up as external DAC?
What is the best place to buy it from?

Jan 24, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #2,909 of 3,155
I have been enjoying 2.4 L0 after initally preferring older FQW, and it does fix the battery indicator bug. My caveat is that since I've upgraded, I note intermittent channel cutout with different iems, isolating the issue to the DX90. While usually I would think of this as a connector issue it occurs with both line out and headphone out, and didn't occur until after the FW upgrade. Does it make any sense that the newer FW could produce this intermiitent channel cutout or is it more likely coincidence that it occurred post-upgrade? I will downgrade to 2.3L for now and see what happens but am am perplexed and any further thoughts would be appreciated.

Jan 25, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #2,910 of 3,155
G'day friend!
thank you for your comprehensive post!
I have come to the conclusion that i will get the dx50, because:
-the dx90 supposedly sounds best, but poor battery life, having to mod it.
-dx80 has pops, thuds,I'm not paying 400€+ to have a less than perfect device, and no confirmed rockbox support,no removable battery.
dx50 on the other hand has:
-Rockbox support;
-mostly no hiss (reading from your post)
-cheapest and known to go on sales,
-still developed (on its thread the ibasso guy said that he will forward a glitch to the software team, and that was yesterday, for a 3 year old device with a chip released in 2011!)
-removable battery that is always a plus
So I'm asking you, would you use the dx50 exclusively to listen to music (as in laptop>dx50>AKG K545 or Shure se315)?
And is it easy to set up as external DAC?
What is the best place to buy it from?

I have not used the DX50 as a DAC.  I don't use the computer as a source.  But most people say it is easy to set up.  There is a delay, so it is good for music, but not for movies.  As far as where to buy?  I just looked, and it is still available on Amazon (USA).  I'm not sure about international.  And the DX50 and DX90 are at end of life/discontinued.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back