The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
Oct 29, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #1,816 of 3,155
Just got my iBasso Dx90.

Was wondering what volume and gain are Dx90 users using? I kinda find the higher gain setting, results in lower clarity. (Just my own opinion)
For reference for my trial-and-error.

Oct 29, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #1,817 of 3,155
  Just got my iBasso Dx90.

Was wondering what volume and gain are Dx90 users using? I kinda find the higher gain setting, results in lower clarity. (Just my own opinion)

Use what sounds best to you. I normally use high gain or mid and a volume that suits the music and headphones being used. Use the burn in cable and everything will open up even more. 

Oct 29, 2014 at 2:29 AM Post #1,818 of 3,155
  Just got my iBasso Dx90.

Just like you people will use the gain setting they think sound best for the headphone they use. This may vary by phone you use and music you listen to.

So it's kind of moot to ask in my opinion. But your opinion and impressions about the topic are most welcome.
biggrin.gif

Oct 29, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #1,819 of 3,155

Just like you people will use the gain setting they think sound best for the headphone they use. This may vary by phone you use and music you listen to.

So it's kind of moot to ask in my opinion. But your opinion and impressions about the topic are most welcome.
biggrin.gif

actually I was expecting that kind of reply.
wink.gif

I just got kinda lazy to test from scratch so was looking at people's impressions to reduce the amount of trial-and-error I have to do. 
tongue_smile.gif

But thanks for the reply :D

Oct 29, 2014 at 2:45 AM Post #1,820 of 3,155
  actually I was expecting that kind of reply.
wink.gif

I just got kinda lazy to test from scratch so was looking at people's impressions to reduce the amount of trial-and-error I have to do. 
tongue_smile.gif

Problem with audio is it's very personal and subjective. What is good to me may not be necessarily true for anyone else.

Trust me, it will give you more satisfaction to try out gears and do comparisons by yourself. Yes it's hardwork but it's rewarding at the end.

That's what I learned here in Head-Fi. I initially started looking for gears which most people say is good. To some extent it helps to get opinion, but I found out my own taste do not agree all the time with most people. In the long run, it will save you time and money if you continue your journey as an audio enthusiast. (I never consider myself an audiophile 
wink_face.gif
) because you will learn a lot and develop a skill of picking up gears that will give you the most satisfaction without breaking the bank. 

Oct 29, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #1,821 of 3,155

Problem with audio is it's very personal and subjective. What is good to me may not be necessarily true for anyone else.

Trust me, it will give you more satisfaction to try out gears and do comparisons by yourself. Yes it's hardwork but it's rewarding at the end.

That's what I learned here in Head-Fi. I initially started looking for gears which most people say is good. To some extent it helps to get opinion, but I found out my own taste do not agree all the time with most people. In the long run, it will save you time and money if you continue your journey as an audio enthusiast. (I never consider myself an audiophile 
wink_face.gif
) because you will learn a lot and develop a skill of picking up gears that will give you the most satisfaction without breaking the bank. 

Well, I guess thats true. Think I will stick to my current settings till I find the time to do that. 
etysmile.gif

Oct 29, 2014 at 3:28 AM Post #1,822 of 3,155
actually I was expecting that kind of reply. :wink:

:tongue_smile:  

But thanks for the reply :D

There is no consensus on the subject and even if there were would you then use that even if you found that some other combination sounded better to you ?

You have to try to out what is best for you and your phones

Oct 29, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #1,823 of 3,155
There is so much speculation on sounds regarding volume level, gain mode, FW, batteries...

People usually suggest that low gain is the cleanest signal and it's better to use that if you can achieve a listenable volume with it. I honestly don't hear that much of a difference between the gain modes, it sounds more like a volume boost like: 205 low = 195 medium for me.

Oct 29, 2014 at 5:30 AM Post #1,824 of 3,155
That's all gain is supposed to be, the rest is side effects

Oct 29, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #1,825 of 3,155

wink_face.gif

I think it has more to do with expectations and conditions of test as much as anything else. I've found that given genuinely good files and situations, most prefer the same things when presented with something great and looking for a natural accuracy. Problem is that those conditions aren't that common nor much portable kit or earphones great when speaking in absolutes yet the endeavor is worthwhile and fun.
k701smile.gif
​ The quality and convenience of today's better portable setups is still remarkable, even if not comparable to the best home setups which cost multiples as much.

Of course, that's my subjective opinion.
wink_face.gif

Oct 30, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #1,826 of 3,155
I am new here but don't feel new as I have read all the threads on the iBasso DX90 for months.  
I ordered my DX90 from Amazon in the States 5 months ago, but it did not get to me in Thailand until two days ago (long story).
Now that I finally have it, it was scary because there are no instructions.  I did find here that I could use the DX50 user guide.
It came with FW 2.0, I got online and found that FW 2.1 is the latest one iBasso offers, but their site did not work, the downloads I tried did not work.  So I installed Lurker's FW, which I was gonna try anyway, after all I read here.
I got all set up and running,  I also got a Samsung battery with charger, so have been changing out batteries and playing the break in hours.
It plays great in the car with the LO to AUX. I play the Adele 21 CD in that car often, my family loves her, but when I played my FLAC rip of Adele from the DX90 the bass just rocked out!!!!  And this with the EQ off, set flat.  Surprised me.
I listened, straight out of the box with Shure SE 215 ltd, and I know they are not really Hi Quality iems but WOW, just brand new I was just delighted!!!  IF this thing gets better I will be thrilled.
One quick question:  I know it has been discussed here, but I searched and I cannot find it again.  What do most of you set your digital filter rolloff at?  Sharp or Slow?
Thanks for any suggestions on this or any other.
And thanks overall for the recommendation on Head Fi for this DAP, you guys are VERY helpful here.
Thanks and God Bless

Oct 30, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #1,827 of 3,155
Like the question on which gain DX90 is set for iems, the question on which filter to use also falls on personal preference. There is no right or wrong answer. Like nc8000 pointed out, are you going to choose one option because the majority of the users use it even if you prefer the other option?

Oct 30, 2014 at 5:03 AM Post #1,828 of 3,155
so , which S3 battery is the preferred one for use on the DX90 - or the differences are minimal between the variouw versions ?

(made in / assembled in)

Oct 30, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #1,830 of 3,155
  It's more a matter of whether genuine or not. Haven't heard either of these 2  but the Chinese batteries are considered less good and the Japanese. I use the Korea/Korea version with good result.

buying from amazon , you can't know whether they are genuine - or can you ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back