The DT880'03s have landed! Short imression + advise
Aug 16, 2008 at 1:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

apatN

Headphoneus Supremus
These are very fine headphones indeed. They're very light and comfortable. Detailing is superb imo. I don't feel the bass lacking in any way, though there isn't much kick to it. These are definetly treble-oriented, which can be a bit unpleassant with some recordings. But, if the recording is right. Oh my, these things are great.
biggrin.gif

I don't really care for the soundstage however. It's not that wide and sometimes it feels like it's tricking me. On some recordings it feels a bit, eh, untrue. I hope other people will know what I'm talking about. I saw Nickchen kind of had the same here (very long, search for 'cash'). He listened to Johnny Cash and said Cash was inside his head and the instruments outside if I recall correctly. Well, I listen to Cash right now and I'll have to agree. There is a great empty space between vocals and instruments, with the vocals being more upfront. I also expierenced this with other music. I'm not sure I like this.

Overall these are very good and I wonder what a good source and amp will do with these. I was thinking about a Keces DA-131 and a Littledot MKIV. Please post some advise on source/amp, and if the Beyer will perform better with them. Also, would it be better to get the amp or the dac first? Share your knowledge.
wink.gif

Happy listening!
dt880smile.png

Aug 16, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #2 of 31
Yea I agree that the sound stage is unrealistic, the 880's in general sound distant. Adding a tube amp would definitely improve the 880s, I've heard the MKIV SE from my dac and through my old 880s, its a good combo, during the short period I listened to the combo the MKIV was very close to the EMP (which happens to be a highly recommend amp for the 880s). Haven't heard the keces so can't comment there
wink.gif

Aug 16, 2008 at 4:44 PM Post #3 of 31
It's well-known that dt880 cries for tube amps. One good combo I used with them was ASL MG Head OTL MKIII/oldstock tubes eg. Amperex el84......but especially need to find a Raytheon 5751 for it - in order for it to provide you with the best audio performance. Hope you're using the velour earpads on them.

Aug 16, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #4 of 31
I've got the 2003 DT880, as well. I'd look into a tube amp before a DAC. I've listened to the DT880 on a couple of solid state amps, and it seems too harsh up top. A good tube amp will preserve the quickness of the DT880 while making it a little smoother.

Aug 16, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #5 of 31
Thanks. I'd look into a tube amp first then. Do I need to consider other amps other than Littledot MKIV? I'm not going to spend more than the price of a shipped LD MKIV.

I also found that the DT880s work really well with synth-music and some old-skool hiphop. They're a bit too polite for fast rock imo.

Aug 17, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #6 of 31
i have had the meier mk iii and the heed canamp both solid state but the heed was exceptiionally smooth and had massive bass and the stage became layered in the y-axis: quite wonderful but i will have to admit that recently, i have sold all amps and have used them straight from ipod or from macbook pro and loved them in both instances almost as much as with an amp.

as for stage and stereo presentation: i have not had trouble with them but then i don't listen to much vocal music. but now, i am listening to mc solaar and do not have a trouble with the presentation. but i have owned them for so long that i find them the most natural for me.

i will hve to slip the hd600 on my head to get another perspective. and the dj1pro

Aug 17, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #7 of 31
Hows the instrument seperation?

What I'm looking for is something where each part of the music is like, separate. Like you can hear it all and focus on each seperate part, like the ER6i.

Does the DT880 achieve this?

Aug 17, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #8 of 31
Yes the 880s have good instrument separation and layering.

Aug 17, 2008 at 7:19 AM Post #9 of 31
Yes, EMP + DT880s =
smily_headphones1.gif

Basic math.

I understand what the OP means by the vocals being in your head and the instruments outside. Never thought about it that way before. The EMP with good tubes makes those vocal and insruments suspend and almost shimmer there in space in a most compelling way.

Aug 17, 2008 at 9:52 AM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have had the meier mk iii and the heed canamp both solid state but the heed was exceptiionally smooth and had massive bass and the stage became layered in the y-axis: quite wonderful but i will have to admit that recently, i have sold all amps and have used them straight from ipod or from macbook pro and loved them in both instances almost as much as with an amp.

I tried them with my dad's very simple mp3player as source and the sound was good. Not lacking, that's for sure. My 'rig' (
rolleyes.gif
) doesn't do it that much better. The X-FI makes it sound very digital. That is absent with the mp3 player and dare I say it's better? The X-FI's soundstage is bigger, but more digital and chaotic. The 'gap' between instruments and vocals of which I spoke earlier is bigger with the X-FI. The vocals on the X-FI sound too digital in comparison. Vocals sound darker not more muffled on the mp3 player, before anyone would say that.

Knowing that my mp3 player does a fairly job in powering my DT880s, shouldn't I get a DAC first? I mean, though the SQ of the X-FI is better I like the presentation of the mp3 player more since it's more analogue sounding.

And what is this EMP amp? I can't seem to find it. Also, you say with good tubes. How much will it set me back?

Aug 17, 2008 at 10:12 AM Post #11 of 31
EMP is short for Earmax Pro. It's about $700 plus shipping. It's expensive, at least given the Chinese offerings out there. But it's magical, especially for female vocals, folk, jazz and blues.
smily_headphones1.gif

Tubes: you can go quality NOS on everything but more reasonably the Electro-Harmonix 6922 Golds are very good and you can get a matched pair for abour $55 online. The challenge is to get a decent driver tube ECC81 (= 12AT7) for them. A good NOS ECC81 - e.g. Philips, Mullard, Amperex - will make the Electro Harmonix outputs sing.

Aug 17, 2008 at 11:02 AM Post #12 of 31
Congratulations for the old Beyer first.

Regarding the question of amplification, I agree that the DT880 shouldn't be coupled with very bright solid states amps if you have free choice. On the other hand, the amp sound question sometimes gets a bit exagerrated IMO. I have not crossed a combination that sounds unlistenable until now, and being a meet junky, I have plugged my DT880 in quite some stuff.

The most important IMO is the question if the amp provides good soundstage and instruments separation. If it doesn't, you get an extended "Johnny Cash effect"
wink.gif

I'm very content with my Millet in that respect, it's a soundscape monster.

Aug 17, 2008 at 11:28 AM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EMP is short for Earmax Pro. It's about $700 plus shipping. It's expensive, at least given the Chinese offerings out there. But it's magical, especially for female vocals, folk, jazz and blues.
smily_headphones1.gif

Tubes: you can go quality NOS on everything but more reasonably the Electro-Harmonix 6922 Golds are very good and you can get a matched pair for abour $55 online. The challenge is to get a decent driver tube ECC81 (= 12AT7) for them. A good NOS ECC81 - e.g. Philips, Mullard, Amperex - will make the Electro Harmonix outputs sing.

Ah too bad. That's definetly above my budget. I was considering the LD MKIII at first but I'm willing to extend my budget to MKIV. The EMP is definetly above my budget. They also look funny.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations for the old Beyer first.

Regarding the question of amplification, I agree that the DT880 shouldn't be coupled with very bright solid states amps if you have free choice. On the other hand, the amp sound question sometimes gets a bit exagerrated IMO. I have not crossed a combination that sounds unlistenable until now, and being a meet junky, I have plugged my DT880 in quite some stuff.

The most important IMO is the question if the amp provides good soundstage and instruments separation. If it doesn't, you get an extended "Johnny Cash effect"
wink.gif

Yeah, I love head-fi.
biggrin.gif
We just came up with another effect in audio. 'Johnny Cash effect' should get in the 'Describing audio thread!'
wink.gif

There are two types of Millet's, right? The Headroom and DIY. The headroom is 600$ and I don't think I'm ready to DIY an amp. Mind you, a 16 year old doesn't make a lot of money but rather spends it elsewhere
smily_headphones1.gif

I might hotrod my X-FI (couldn't care less if I'd screw it up
tongue.gif
), but other than that I think the LD MKIV is probably the best choice.

Then for the DAC? I said I liked the presentation of my mp3 player better than the X-FI since it's more analogue sounding. Shouldn't I get a DAC first then? And what DAC. I was thinking of a Keces DA-131. Also that is the max I'm willing to spend.

Thanks for all the replies!
dt880smile.png

Aug 17, 2008 at 11:33 AM Post #14 of 31
My Millet is the simple DIY-Version. Such Millets get sold sometimes in the FS section for 100-150ish $. Regarding the actual exchange rates, a 2nd hand overseas solution should be your 1st choice anyway.

Aug 17, 2008 at 11:35 AM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif

I very much liked my Millett with the DT880s. I really started to enjoy it when I introduced USB Monica into the mix (which I still use with the EMP). With the MicroDAC and my Milett, it was just a litle dry. Not really a complaint against the DT880s - they're just very accurate, not at all warm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back