The DIY'rs Cookbook
Sep 19, 2020 at 4:05 AM Post #1,726 of 1,974
Why how magnanimous of you, :ksc75smile: I must be truly fortunate to be the recipient of such largess, and to think this isn't even a 300B amp, but a lowly 71A amp with an output power of a paltry 0.75w/ch.

But alas I must decline such a generous offer of your time and technical expertise.
Mostly because I'm now in the middle of yet another set of circuit refinements, which of course will take yet another all new set of thermal cycle testing and evaluation procedures.
And of course this procedural clock simply MUST be reset after every subsequent alteration and circuit change thereafter.

After all, SQ evaluation and circuit stability should never be besmirched by unanticipated electrical fires nor unseeming explosions… :scream:
Bad form and all that… :thinking:
hahahahahahahahahahaha

JJ :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #1,727 of 1,974
Why how magnanimous of you, :ksc75smile: I must be truly fortunate to be the recipient of such largess, and to think this isn't even a 300B amp, but a lowly 71A amp with an output power of a paltry 0.75w/ch.

But alas I must decline such a generous offer of your time and technical expertise.
Mostly because I'm now in the middle of yet another set of circuit refinements, which of course will take yet another all new set of thermal cycle testing and evaluation procedures.
And of course this procedural clock simply MUST be reset after every subsequent alteration and circuit change thereafter.

After all, SQ evaluation and circuit stability should never be besmirched by unanticipated electrical fires nor unseeming explosions… :scream:
Bad form and all that… :thinking:
hahahahahahahahahahaha

LOL! :grinning: :grinning: Your unwavering concern for my safety is duly noted and appreciated. :stuck_out_tongue:

Sep 19, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #1,728 of 1,974
This is where I get to use one of my favorite come back lines.

"It's the Least I can do…"

hahahahahahahahahahahahaahahaha

JJ

Sep 19, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #1,730 of 1,974
I have one of those TT things (which is fully accessorized) safely stored inside it's cabinet in the back.
Which is also where I keep my records.

So all I have to do is figure a way to bring the signal out to the main room…
Just one of those pesky details…

JJ

Sep 19, 2020 at 11:50 PM Post #1,731 of 1,974
I have one of those TT things (which is fully accessorized) safely stored inside it's cabinet in the back.
Which is also where I keep my records.

So all I have to do is figure a way to bring the signal out to the main room…
Just one of those pesky details…

JJ

1600573806886.png

:sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile::smile::grinning::stuck_out_tongue:

Sep 20, 2020 at 12:06 AM Post #1,732 of 1,974
That cable has the wrong ethnicity.

For long runs it has to be balanced don't cha know…
100' balanced cable.jpeg
hahahahahahahahaha :ksc75smile:

JJ

Sep 20, 2020 at 12:22 AM Post #1,733 of 1,974
That cable has the wrong ethnicity.

For long runs it has to be balanced don't cha know…
100' balanced cable.jpeg
hahahahahahahahaha :ksc75smile:

JJ

:sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

I tried some like that before but couldn't get them to stay on the RCA jacks of my phono stage, even with lots of duct tape. Probably user error. :confounded::confounded:

Sep 20, 2020 at 1:33 AM Post #1,734 of 1,974
You probably were using old duktape, where the stick got unstuck…
hahahahahahahahahaha

Sep 20, 2020 at 7:59 AM Post #1,735 of 1,974
You probably were using old duktape, where the stick got unstuck…
hahahahahahahahahaha

:smile: Dang it! I paid no attention to the "Best If Used By" date. Does superglue have an expiration date, I mean as long as it's still in a somewhat liquid form? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Sep 20, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #1,736 of 1,974
Does superglue have an expiration date, I mean as long as it's still in a somewhat liquid form? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
As long as you can still drink it - that would still kill covid-19 :smirk:
(we need emoji of old dude with big orange hair..........)

Sep 23, 2020 at 12:40 AM Post #1,737 of 1,974
Okey Dokey yessirrreeee.

I'm listening to the Telarc cd of Straussfest wherein are well recorded percussive examples of shotguns, revolvers and assorted other 'hard hitting' sounds.

It's most impressive when I can hear the entire room contribute to the whump when the shotgun goes off.
Or what happens when the 6' drum gets thumped then smacked, hard.

So when the entire acoustic space gets 'energized' it then helps 'shape'/roundout the harmonic content of the acoustic pressure wave that is heard.
Very satisfying I must say.

Evaluating the rest of the bandwidth will need to occur later when things quiet down a tad more.

Suffice to say these seemingly insignificant minor tweaks/changes are yielding positive SQ improvements WAY above their pay grade.
I mean going from 350 to 330 to 290Ω resistors for the cathode loads for the driver tube shouldn't be all that big of a deal, yet this experiemnt has shown me otherwise. And granted it is a key component in the signal path, and I am using some tweako Allen Bradley resistors, even so this is 'hitting a lick' so to speak.

Which yet further supports my theory that as CP's (Choke Points) are removed, the fewer that remain become far more significant in terms of SQ.
And I figure it's because there is that much less of the circuit that is 'in it's own way'.

More later…
JJ

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2020 at 12:58 AM Post #1,738 of 1,974
:smile: Dang it! I paid no attention to the "Best If Used By" date. Does superglue have an expiration date, I mean as long as it's still in a somewhat liquid form? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
SuperGlue is REALLY good at gluing skin and tissue of all sorts, together.
They used it in the Vietnam war to 'close up' wounds (chest cavity, etc.) and it probably saved many lives.

And yes it does have a "Best If Used By" date, but I have kept my supply in the fridge for years and years and it still manages to glue my fingers together all too well. :right_facing_fist: hahahahahahaahahaha

But once you find that the connector is more firmly attached to your fingers than the preamp, and no matter how much more SuperGlue you add, it doesn't seem to get any better, then you know you took a wrong turn somewhere. uh-oh!!! :thinking:
And then when the SuperGlue squeeze tube or bottle gets stuck to your other hand, THAT'S when you know you're in trouble, because then you can't even turn up the volume to listen to tunes. (honey can you bring me a knife?) :scream:

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #1,739 of 1,974
SuperGlue is REALLY good at gluing skin and tissue of all sorts, together.
They used it in the Vietnam war to 'close up' wounds (chest cavity, etc.) and it probably saved many lives.

And yes it does have a "Best If Used By" date, but I have kept my supply in the fridge for years and years and it still manages to glue my fingers together all too well. :right_facing_fist: hahahahahahaahahaha

But once you find that the connector is more firmly attached to your fingers than the preamp, and no matter how much more SuperGlue you add, it doesn't seem to get any better, then you know you took a wrong turn somewhere. uh-oh!!! :thinking:
And then when the SuperGlue squeeze tube or bottle gets stuck to your other hand, THAT'S when you know you're in trouble, because then you can't even turn up the volume to listen to tunes. (honey can you bring me a knife?) :scream:

But wait...if you glue your finger(s) in the right spot, it will complete the circuit. Skin is conductive, right? And besides, beyond audio tweaking and tuning what possible use is there for fingers anyway? Volume can be turned up with the remote and one of your toes, which is pretty much all they're good for. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Sep 23, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #1,740 of 1,974
But wait...if you glue your finger(s) in the right spot, it will complete the circuit. Skin is conductive, right? And besides, beyond audio tweaking and tuning what possible use is there for fingers anyway? Volume can be turned up with the remote and one of your toes, which is pretty much all they're good for. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
"if you glue your finger(s) in the right spot"
That's a Big IF right there, mostly because when panic sets in that's when you realize things aren't going quite as expected and it's then that your fingers tend to flail around, well you get the idea… :scream:

And yeah when the fingers AND toes 'complete the circuit' well that's when you can FEEL the music as it courses thru your body in a sort of spasmodic way, while leaving a lasting impression…
hahahahahahahahahahaha :ksc75smile:

JJ

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back