The DIY'rs Cookbook
Aug 26, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #1,711 of 1,974
I'm listening to Led Zepp and it's sucking me into the their music like never before.

For really only the 2nd time, is Led Zepp intriguing and enticing, along with T3 (Toe Tapping Time) and HB&W (Head Bobbing & Weaving) etc.

JJ :ksc75smile:

Soooooo....is Kashmir boring, or does it induce a zombie-like state of musical bliss? That's the acid test. I mean, um, the true test. Yeah, that. :grimacing: :grimacing:

Aug 26, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #1,712 of 1,974
Oh Wow Man, rock on fer shure… :yum:
hahahahahahahaha

But really what I was hearing was music, as in not just sound(s).
This distinction while seemingly subtle has a big meaningful impact upon my enjoyment (or lack there of) of any album/track that I listen to.

And actually one of my goals for my system is for me to be able to listen to ANY track and have this enticing, hear into the music and get sucked in regardless of the source, as in, it's music, not just sounds.
This distinction means I have one playback setup that does it all regardless of source.

Which also further implies that the signal I hear is the signal supplied to the system without being aberrantly limited nor changed.

This is a tall order as these traits are not on most manufacturers list of desirable engineering design goals, let alone are attainable in the first place.

So when I can hear albums that historically have been difficult to hear into, and then music (vs just sounds) happens, well it certainly tells me I'm moving in the right direction.

Fer shure man…
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

JJ

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #1,713 of 1,974
Fer shure man…
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

I see what you did there. :grinning: I'm a Koetsu man myself, but personal preference always reigns supreme. :stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue:

Aug 26, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #1,714 of 1,974
The Koetsu's I've heard (and it was many years back) were divine and very musical.
They were a tad difficult (at the time) to really dial in what with the resistance and capacitance tweaking needed to get them to fully sing.
But that was then and this is now, where such 'adjustments' are accommodated much more readily.

But I'm all digital and while I might crank up the old vinyl system it will be a while yet, and by that time the available cartridges will undoubtedly be very different than what is available now.
And my collection of vinyl just sits there patiently waiting to get spun up yet again.

And I figure if I can get the digits to approach the analog then the analog should be glorious…

JJ

Aug 27, 2020 at 5:41 AM Post #1,715 of 1,974
And speaking of analog…

The Purp-Amp has received new DHT Filament regulators and, well, it's like this ya see…

Those 2 previous mods made changes that have been Bigly 'emphasized' and the new boards are still settling in.

The bass has also stepped right up to the bar as well.
It has deepened (more extension below 20Hz), become more powerful (greater impact) and has more resolution, focus, and texture.

So after a 'suitable' amount of time has elapsed, aka settling in time, I'll replace the 2 'suspect' CCS's and see what happens then.

But for now I think I'll kick back and just get to know my music, as if new, yet again… :thinking: :thumbsup:

Aug 27, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #1,716 of 1,974
The Koetsu's I've heard (and it was many years back) were divine and very musical.
They were a tad difficult (at the time) to really dial in what with the resistance and capacitance tweaking needed to get them to fully sing.
But that was then and this is now, where such 'adjustments' are accommodated much more readily.

But I'm all digital and while I might crank up the old vinyl system it will be a while yet, and by that time the available cartridges will undoubtedly be very different than what is available now.
And my collection of vinyl just sits there patiently waiting to get spun up yet again.

And I figure if I can get the digits to approach the analog then the analog should be glorious…

JJ

9K for a phono cartridge? That makes reel to reel look reasonable.

Aug 28, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #1,717 of 1,974
And $9K is no where near the top of the price heap.
Talk about stupid silly $$$$$…

JJ

Aug 29, 2020 at 9:02 PM Post #1,718 of 1,974
And $9K is no where near the top of the price heap.
Talk about stupid silly $$$$$…

JJ

Is this a stream of consciousness thing, and all the rest of us are still standing on shore? :smile: :smile::grinning:

Aug 29, 2020 at 9:48 PM Post #1,719 of 1,974
MAYBE… hahahahahahahahahahahaha :ksc75smile:

Either that or the water is rising in the stream, sorta like the frog in the pot sorta thing…
hahahahahahaha :ksc75smile:

JJ

Aug 31, 2020 at 3:43 AM Post #1,720 of 1,974
So as a progress report of sorts, what with me being in the middle of several mods and tweak evaluations all at the same time…

The new filament regulators are settling in VERY nicely, and to the net effect that I can hear the CCS's (Constant Current Source's) popping, clicking, ticking, and zip-zapping away in the back ground all that much easier and with greater resolution and detail.

This of course has spurned me on to replace them with new updated higher voltage versions to determine if it actually is the CCS's or something else in the circuit.
I suspect the CCS's mostly because they were previously used in other circuits and the FETs are probably damaged just enough to make noise, but not enough to die a tell tale death, and so, out themselves (literally and figuratively).

One channel (L) is especially noisy, but in between the pops etc, the music is enticing and engaging and to the extent that I simply have to move ahead with this replacement mod well ahead of schedule.

Massed/solo strings are simply marvelous, horns have that horn zing that all to often gets obscured, and the bass, it is simply even more stunning, more you are there real.
I could go on and on but suffice it to say I hope to have the new CCS's built and installed by Wed or Thurs this next week, I just need more of the newer 900v rated FETs to show up.

So as long as I can 'tolerate' the noisy L ch I will continue to listen and enjoy this marvelous amp and look forward to what will happen to the SQ after the CCS's are replaced.

Forward into the (seemingly) unknown, I fearlessly go…
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2020 at 4:19 AM Post #1,721 of 1,974
So it went like this…
I went with all new 900Vdc MosFETS for the L channel that drives the 6BQ7A & 71A tube, since it was the 'problem child'.

WTH?? 400vdc WHAT?? shutdown…
grrrr…

re-do the do…
What!!! 40vdc WHAT??? shutdown…ffsffsffsffs…
Did I blow a tube???? :thinking: :scream:

Go back to the 400vdc rated MosFET on the 'output' MosFET
Now THAT'S more like it… :thumbsup:
And after a few more tweaks to dial everything in…
The SQ is fine and the snap-crackle-pop didn't occur,
so far… :yum:

Now on day 2, to see what happens…
And I figure I'll need to do the same for the right channel, ya know just to keep peace in the family so the R channel doesn't start complaining.
hahahahahahahaha

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2020 at 4:08 AM Post #1,722 of 1,974
So along the way from back there (last post) to here my Allen Bradley 1w 270Ω resistors showed up and I was hoping they had 'aged' enough to now be 300Ω resistors.
Not quite, but I did get a pair of 290Ω's, which are now settling in on the 6BQ7A cathode circuit, and I must say they are settling in quite nicely at that.
And I figure that they will climb into the low 300's, right about where I want them to sit. :thinking:

And like my other tweaks it does take a few thermal cycles and subsequent adjustments to dial everything back in so this SQ ✔ is a bit early on in the eval process.
Even so this is yet another +SQ check box filled with an X.
Thus far everything (all of my usual SQ attributes) have taken another small but noticeable and very welcome step up, again.
Soundstage, freq extension, dynamics, focus, inner details, etc, etc.

Yeah my heads on a swivel with corresponding danc'n in my chair moves to match.
Not to forget the happy feet under the desk.

And the best is ALL the music I play has risen in SQ, and it doesn't matter the genre or type or era etc.

Just like I like. :thumbsup:

Sep 17, 2020 at 3:48 AM Post #1,723 of 1,974
So the battle of the bands, er CCS's, has been raging with interesting results as we try different configurations and FET's in different configurations.

Right now as I type this I've just updated the primary bias adjustment CCS's, which sets the bias for both the driver and output tubes, using dual Supertex DN2540 DMOS FET's instead of using the 900v IXCP10M90S as the 'input' FET, and a 2540 as the 'output' FET.

Translated that means using the 2540's 'back to back' works better than mixing different FET's.
As long as the B+ is under ≈ 450VDC

The last experiment resulted in a very slow to reach full voltage and current setup, while this new approach has cut the 'settling time' down to ≈ 15-30minutes, down from 1-2 hours.

And so far it seems more stable and more 'linear', both of which are good signs.
But as usual it will take a few thermal cycles to see how well it all settles down, and then evaluate the results.

JJ

Sep 18, 2020 at 5:31 AM Post #1,724 of 1,974
Well, one thing is for sure…
Wholey frak'n fuster cluck the SQ has, yet again, taken a Mutha May I, GIANT step up.

The bass has become even deeper, more thunderous with even greater inner detail, focus and LEDI (Leading Edge Dynamic Impact).
To the point that I'm now hearing portions of the bass I have NEVER heard before, like air handling system grumble and subsonic rattling of my head and in tracks I didn't even know this was even possible before.

And in those tracks where I know there's the GUD stuff WAY down there…
There is now an added compressive impact component, and it extends upwards and can be heard from horns and strings…

I figure this is where 'the whole is greater than the sum of the parts' thing is happening, due to all of the new regulator boards and a few Allen Bradley resistors settling in as well.
The mids are 'rich' as are the tinkles on top.
All of the nifty aspects that I so treasure in the mids are just 'Better'.
The top end has effortless power AND finesse and definition and focus.

EVERYTHING from the top to below the bottom, just upped their game.

And here I thought I knew what good solid detailed bass was all about. :thinking:
Haaa… that'll teach me… :thinking:

AND it will change still more as the number of thermal cycles rises, as per usual.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2020 at 8:24 AM Post #1,725 of 1,974
Well, one thing is for sure…
Wholey frak'n fuster cluck the SQ has, yet again, taken a Mutha May I, GIANT step up.

The bass has become even deeper, more thunderous with even greater inner detail, focus and LEDI (Leading Edge Dynamic Impact).
To the point that I'm now hearing portions of the bass I have NEVER heard before, like air handling system grumble and subsonic rattling of my head and in tracks I didn't even know this was even possible before.

And in those tracks where I know there's the GUD stuff WAY down there…
There is now an added compressive impact component, and it extends upwards and can be heard from horns and strings…

I figure this is where 'the whole is greater than the sum of the parts' thing is happening, due to all of the new regulator boards and a few Allen Bradley resistors settling in as well.
The mids are 'rich' as are the tinkles on top.
All of the nifty aspects that I so treasure in the mids are just 'Better'.
The top end has effortless power AND finesse and definition and focus.

EVERYTHING from the top to below the bottom, just upped their game.

And here I thought I knew what good solid detailed bass was all about. :thinking:
Haaa… that'll teach me… :thinking:

AND it will change still more as the number of thermal cycles rises, as per usual.

Well it sounds like it's time for you to send the amp to me so that I can confirm your findings. No charge, of course. :stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::slight_smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back