THE DIY HEADPHONE STAND THREAD
Nov 13, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #1,443 of 3,874
I just use a modded Hose Hook... 
biggrin.gif

Edit: Not nearly as sexy as some of the stands on this thread though...

Nov 15, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #1,444 of 3,874
Some nice looking stands on here (D2000)...

Anyway, here's my contribution:

Finally some pics of the final product:

The top
P1000921.jpg

The base
P1000927-1.jpg

The angled view
P1000915.jpg

The headphone on the stand
P1000936.jpg

The close up
P1000945.jpg

The moneyshot
P1000944.jpg

Wenge wood with 4 coats of french finish and final treatment with beeswax for a semi glossy look
icon10.gif

Inspired by Bonthouse's brilliant stand. I really liked the design, just had to make one. 
As a side note, would anyone be interested in a woodwork-fi thread in the gear-fi section. Be nice i think, a showcase of all things timber. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 15, 2012 at 3:20 AM Post #1,445 of 3,874
Quote:
Some nice looking stands on here (D2000)...

Anyway, here's my contribution:

(PHOTOS)

Inspired by Bonthouse's brilliant stand. I really liked the design, just had to make one. 
As a side note, would anyone be interested in a woodwork-fi thread in the gear-fi section. Be nice i think, a showcase of all things timber. 
biggrin.gif

Cheers Meddle. I love your adaption of Bonthouse's work. I personally prefer your lighter wood finish, it lets the blacks of the gear really be bold :D

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #1,446 of 3,874
finally got the upload picture feature to work... 

design on paper

CAD model

rough cut

sanding and painting

Completed!

Nov 16, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #1,447 of 3,874
Holy crap ngyu you should be really really proud.

That is a beautiful stand.
I love the set up of your source components in the base. Gorgeous gorgeous work. Looks very high quality. I also did a CAD model of my next design which im actually going to be puttting together today :D it really helps get a scope of things hey.

I'll share the results this evening :)

Nov 16, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #1,448 of 3,874
Quote:
Holy crap ngyu you should be really really proud.
That is a beautiful stand.
I love the set up of your source components in the base. Gorgeous gorgeous work. Looks very high quality. I also did a CAD model of my next design which im actually going to be puttting together today
biggrin.gif
it really helps get a scope of things hey.
I'll share the results this evening
smily_headphones1.gif

thanks man! it was pretty quick, the design, cutting, sanding, and assembly only took about a day, the long part was waiting for the bad weather to go away before I could prime it, paint it, and top coat it. I was thinking of going wood stain before, but the quality of the wood that I have is pretty crap, so not worth showing off. 

looking forward to yours!

Nov 18, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #1,450 of 3,874
About ten minute job, with a "help" of 3½ and 2 year olds. Those black shelves from Ikea were a bit scratchy, but it's ok. Those shelves are more or less hollow inside, so I'm not expecting long life for this stand anyway. Next one will take less space from table, I got some simple ideas from that thread. This was just something to do on Sunday morning with parts already found from apartment.

Nov 18, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #1,452 of 3,874
Quote:
About ten minute job, with a "help" of 3½ and 2 year olds. Those black shelves from Ikea were a bit scratchy, but it's ok. Those shelves are more or less hollow inside, so I'm not expecting long life for this stand anyway. Next one will take less space from table, I got some simple ideas from that thread. This was just something to do on Sunday morning with parts already found from apartment.

Not a bad 10 minute job at all buddy :) Nice use of the metal handles against the black. I bet the HP's are easy to come on and off (a must for me)

Nov 18, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #1,453 of 3,874
As promised here's my latest creation.​
 ​

​

Made of Australian Spotted Gum and weighing in at 12.2kgs!​
This thing couldn't get any more solid.​
There's virtually no movement of the stand when retrieving or depositing the D2K's, which aren't  exactly light.​
The metal handles are lathed out of aluminum and I bought the stainless steel cable management knobs.​
It also has little rubber feet for grip, though it's unlikely to slide. ​
 ​
I'm yet to decide what to finish the surface with. Definitely not an oil; that'll ruin the headphones. ​
Maybe a lacquer and then varnish.​
 ​
Thoughts?​
 ​
On a side note, if anyone wants one made I'm opening up the option of commissions :)

Nov 18, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #1,454 of 3,874
Subscribed. I love these designs
beerchug.gif

Nov 18, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #1,455 of 3,874
Excellent work D2000!
Knobs everywhere... I'd like one made but the 12kg shipping charge would be a killer! :D

5 coats of lacquer sanded between each coat to give it that gym floor sheen. Amazing!

Great job!

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back