THE DIY HEADPHONE STAND THREAD
Apr 4, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #796 of 3,874

Quote:

Were you referring to my stand?  If so, I'm going to have to disagree.  The AT stand looks nothing like mine.  Just look at their small base.  It is very flimsy and makes the stand very prone to toppling over.  If you have 2000$ headphones on your stand, you don't want them to fall off.  The AT is designed badly.

The music note stand is an interesting design.  My mom had the idea to make a stand out of a music note 3-4 years ago.  But it is an AWFUL design for headphones.  That would damage most headphones, and again is prone to toppling over.  It's an interesting shape, but the design is very very poor.

My design was specifically designed by a physicist, with the utmost care taken in ensuring that it is both VERY sturdy / stable and also very safe for headphones.

I'm sorry to make a big fuss about it, but I take serious offense in my design being compared to those other two.  The other two I consider seriously inferior. 

PS:  I think the wood I used is also quite a bit fancier than the other two.

Like Aflac already mentioned, I was referring to someone else's headphone stands. I guess those posts were deleted and made the confusion. I have seen many of your stands and always thought that they were great. Wish I had skills to make one like that.

Apr 4, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #797 of 3,874

Quote:
Is that two Fiio E9s I spy? Why do you have two?

The top one is E9, for the orthos and any dynamics I want to listen to, the bottom one is the A1, which feeds the N1000 on the bottom for the ET1000 on the left. They also coincidentally make a pretty perfect heapdhone stand for the Stax in conjunction with its own lttle SRM-Xh. 
biggrin.gif

The T50RP aren't mine btw, just visiting.

Apr 4, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #798 of 3,874
Something I made quickly. Just practical really... It's very sturdy though and doesn't look that awful I suppose. :D Came out suprisingly high, though it's good for the cables, smooth curve. Budget was around 3€.

Apr 4, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #799 of 3,874

Quote:

Like Aflac already mentioned, I was referring to someone else's headphone stands. I guess those posts were deleted and made the confusion. I have seen many of your stands and always thought that they were great. Wish I had skills to make one like that.

That's perfectly all right.  I was very confused since I didn't see the messages that got deleted.  I was shocked in thinking my design would be called similar to either of the two.

Apr 4, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #800 of 3,874

Quote:
Something I made quickly. Just practical really... It's very sturdy though and doesn't look that awful I suppose. :D Came out suprisingly high, though it's good for the cables, smooth curve. Budget was around 3€.

What material is that?  It looks like it's wrapped in a type of paper/cloth.

Apr 4, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #801 of 3,874
It's 21 millimeter (about 7/8 inches) plywood. Covered in some sort of fabric I found laying around.

Apr 4, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #802 of 3,874
sand it, paint it, seal it BAM!

Also a pic of my banana stand mod.

and yes my room is gray, black, and white. with a red sheet on my bead lol. everything on my desk is black or gray.

Apr 9, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #803 of 3,874
Inspired by this thread and one user´s contribution, I did a prototype today to check out fit ´n´ functionality before DiY mkII of the same headphone stand. I will cultivate some other shapes / looks, but the functionality seems OK. Maybe a mkIII will have a spring loaded cover in plexi glass. That is why there is a "void" on the backside. That would be nice. :)

It all started out with a piece of oak wood:

Apr 9, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #804 of 3,874

Quote:

We can send a man to the moon, but we still can't make cameras that take photographs in color.  ~_~  How sad.  (j/k)
You'll want to do something about that metal, or it will damage the wood.

Apr 12, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #806 of 3,874
Hmm, I was on the verge of buying a stand, but I may DIY now. Great thread!!

Apr 16, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #807 of 3,874
Decided to make a simple stand for my desktop rig.  I was going to make it more ornate but everytime I looked at the wood I could not bring myself to plain, cut or remove anymore material.  Focused more on the finish and simplicity instead.  Came up with this:

Cheers,
Al

Apr 16, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #808 of 3,874

Quote:
Decided to make a simple stand for my desktop rig.  I was going to make it more ornate but everytime I looked at the wood I could not bring myself to plain, cut or remove anymore material.  Focused more on the finish and simplicity instead.  Came up with this:

Cheers,
Al

Isn't that unstable with such a small base?

Apr 19, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #810 of 3,874
alphones that looks great. I love the natural wood grain, and especially the knot area.  Nice and simple. What was the wood?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back