THE DIY HEADPHONE STAND THREAD
Jul 23, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #3,632 of 3,874
For those who are interested, Brainwavz' Truss has been on sale for quite some time.

Decent headphone hanger for 11 bucks.

http://www.brainwavzaudio.com/collections/10-99-offers/products/truss-the-dual-headphone-hanger

Jul 23, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #3,633 of 3,874
For those who are interested, Brainwavz' Truss has been on sale for quite some time.

Decent headphone hanger for 11 bucks.

http://www.brainwavzaudio.com/collections/10-99-offers/products/truss-the-dual-headphone-hanger

super tempting to give my 2x SZ2000 a home... thanks for the link!
would look a lot nicer than 2 hard cases lying around probably.

Jul 23, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #3,635 of 3,874
super tempting to give my 2x SZ2000 a home... thanks for the link!
would look a lot nicer than 2 hard cases lying around probably.

Welcome! Been staring at Brainwavz' metal hooks for a long time. If they had something like the Truss for one headphone but with the attachment mechanism of their Hengja and it goes on sale, it would be perfect for me. I'm renting a room for college, and the table isn't mine, so I can't stick anything on the desk that might be permanent. If not, I would have taken advantage of this sale long ago.

Hope the headphone hooks work out for you.

: )

Jul 28, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #3,636 of 3,874
It's not the nicest "stand" out there, but heres my current solution to headphones clutter.

I'm still doing the carving on a desk mounted one in wood, but that is a looooong ways down the road.

Aug 13, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #3,637 of 3,874

The upright rod and base are from a busted lamp. drilled holes in a couple of dowels and wrapped them in some material I was going to use to make pads from, and stuck a 5gal bucket on bottom to hold all the cables. now just need to paint it so it doesn't look so hideous 

Aug 29, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #3,638 of 3,874

biggrin.gif

Sep 5, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #3,639 of 3,874
Here are some more variations on the Ikea headphone stand.

I found this interesting shaped cutting board at Ikea and it makes a nice base.

All ikea parts (except for a few bolts. I will use the larger round post in the back for extra cables.

My latest invention: the 4 post stand! I'm going to get a few 9" square cutting boards and a lazy susan to replace the base.

Sep 15, 2016 at 7:15 AM Post #3,640 of 3,874
Stumbled upon this thread out of curiosity, and got hooked on! All of us we've spent large amount of resources (money, thought and time as well) into this hobby and really we owe it to ourselves to at least think of a decent way to store and maintain our precious toys.

I spent entire week reading the pages from start to end between my (limited) spare time. All of you have done amazing works! Wife asked why i laughed at times, showed her and she laughed as well, and its been a really interesting read.

So, in the light of years worth of discussion i just finished reading, i think i have seen amazing works by amazing artists and amateurs in making beautiful and useful (also frugal) hanging type stands, but I've seen only one poster who posted his headphones cradle. Got me wondering.

I might be out of my head but isnt the weight of the phones (no matter how light they are) will take toll on their structural integrity or at least damage their cushioning? No im not talking about months but in years period? Will cradle suit them better?

Another thing, i have only seen one poster made cable storage inside the stand (like hole or a cave) but this method really hide the cable and imo clean the look A LOT! I wonder if there any reason not many people do it this way? Like make a hole/cave/drawer to hide unruly threads?

Sep 15, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #3,641 of 3,874
So, in the light of years worth of discussion i just finished reading, i think i have seen amazing works by amazing artists and amateurs in making beautiful and useful (also frugal) hanging type stands, but I've seen only one poster who posted his headphones cradle. Got me wondering.

I might be out of my head but isnt the weight of the phones (no matter how light they are) will take toll on their structural integrity or at least damage their cushioning? No im not talking about months but in years period? Will cradle suit them better?

Another thing, i have only seen one poster made cable storage inside the stand (like hole or a cave) but this method really hide the cable and imo clean the look A LOT! I wonder if there any reason not many people do it this way? Like make a hole/cave/drawer to hide unruly threads?

The reason i never liked "normal" headphones stands is because they are hanging only from their headband, It just makes me feel uncomfortable seeing them like this, thats why i did what i did with my stand, i guess you saw it because its here on this page, (though I only care about the Q701 so they are not hanging from their headband
biggrin.gif
).

when you thnk about it cardle has simple problems, such as they wont fit every headphones, so you need to make costum for each headphones, if you got for example wood headphones you can scratch the cups somehow, they are probably harder to build, and im sure there is more.

about the cable storage ,if you can put the stand pic here it would be nice, sounds interesting, 

Sep 15, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #3,642 of 3,874
So as not to scratch the cups, we can use linings, velour, velvet, suede probably?

Every headphone is not the same, true, but every one of them have roughly the same structure (bands, cups, hinges). I'll try make a drawing.

Anyway, about the tray, i did something using pixelmator.

I hope it is clear enough with the text marking.

It is a concept i draw based on showcase shelves common in retail stores. Semi-opaque acrylic lit from behind and box of clear acrylic housing the headphones to fight off dust. Tray below the phone. We can do with or without drawer, if with drawer then... No matter ill draw again later. Kind of hard to describe.

Sep 15, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #3,643 of 3,874

This is with drawer.

Wow the thing we can do with our phone now. All drawings made using Iphone.

So... Tell me what you think? Is it doable? Certainly its a lot more complicated than simple stand but it hides the cable (please not mix comments for the - absolutely complicated - shelf and the cable drawer/tray).

Now about the shelf. I am thinking to make 3 x 3 grid, dunno if with individual door or a long horizontal door for each row.

Probably using tray to keep things simpler. No drawer meaning open top for the cable box. Still visible from the top but if we place the shelf high enough on eye level i dont think its that obvious.

Sep 15, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #3,644 of 3,874
I would ask myself how often I use my headphones before making it, doesn't look fun to take out the headphones every time from this stand.

anyway looks doable to me, but as you said it wont be easy, and will take time. at least finding the right parts for it wont be easy I guess.

are you sure you don't want to just do like what  Allanmarcus did in his stands? looks very clean to me with how the cables are placed.

Sep 15, 2016 at 8:00 PM Post #3,645 of 3,874
Yeah I get your point. Tbh with a harem of nine, not everybody get enough listening time and the toddlers arent making things better. I'll look into the cost first before actually launching the project.

About allanmarcus' stand, i dont know, rolling the cable like that kind of reminds me of how i do the magsafe twice everyday, not fun and really repetitive. makes me thinking to buy another magsafe for the office so i dont have to roll/unroll the cable everytime... With a tray i can just drop the cable into it and be done. No need to roll/unroll the cable neatly, it is out of sight.

Ah one more question do you think headphones look better from the front or from the sides?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back