The DIY Discman Repair Thread
Oct 20, 2023 at 5:48 AM Post #573 of 579
Hi everyone
I just acquired an awesome D-25 that seems to work, but has the middle gear problem...and I got pretty far with trying a repair (removed and re-lubricated said gear though I'll likely have to get a replacement off eBay as it is pretty fragile) when the tiny split washer (I've seen it called a c-clip as well) went flying into the ether, grinding progress to a halt. I can't seem to find a post or other information here and elsewhere that advises how and where to order the exact right replacement for this split washer/c-clip, and I'm not sure what kind of size, circumference, or dimension terminology to use to locate it on the marketplace. It's mentioned in dozens of places, but no actual "this is the thing that you need to order" -level guidance. Is there anyone familiar with this ubiquitous tragedy who can point the way to ordering the part from somewhere (or perhaps there's another solution to keeping the gear on the shaft)? Any and all help (especially at a layman level) would be gratefully received. Thanks for your time!
It has been a longer time since this happened to me. I have not found a direct replacement until today. But I found a different solution. I do not have a picture from it but I will try to explain what I did. Just in front of the axle, where this gear has to be fixed, is a metallic structure. I glued some kind of foam to it and, if the thickness is sufficient, it will keep the gear on the axle.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2023 at 5:59 AM Post #574 of 579
Classic symptom of the motor going bad, you need to replace it.
May I ask you some additional information: I have this problem with an D25. It does not recognize the CD when flat on the table. So, what I understand from your post is that the spindle motor has to be replaced.
Do you have an idea where to get a new one?
Since it is difficult to find another reasknably priced D25 for parts: are there other discman with identical motor known?
Do I have to adjust something after changing this motor and if yes can you support with which potentiometer I do have to adjust?

Thanks for your support.

Oct 24, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #575 of 579
Hi guys. I'm about to dive into the CD restoration game with a Sony D-9. it powers on and cd spins but no audio and then powers off. Do I start with replacing the caps and go from there? Thanks in advance 😸

Dec 3, 2023 at 6:01 PM Post #576 of 579
Long shot here, but I used the wrong wired remote, a RM-CD6, in my Discman D-465. Immediately after doing that the headphone out no longer works. The digital line out still works.

Any thoughts on what might have happened to my D-465?

Thanks!

Dec 3, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #578 of 579
Weird … try removing the batteries and replacing them, or are you using an AC adapter ?
I have used a combination of both. Was using it via an AC adapter when the issue happened (no batteries present). Just tried putting in some batteries a couple days back and the headphone out is still dead.

Using that remote does not work well, bad thing is, it fits right in no issue.

Dec 3, 2023 at 7:34 PM Post #579 of 579
I just noticed something just now sir. It plays well upright tilt, sideways both left and right and face down. It wont play flat face up and forward downward tilt
Well done. Sir.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back