The DIY Discman Repair Thread
Oct 28, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #482 of 579
kaosun, congrats on your new site! It was I who told you some months (years?) ago that you should do this 
beerchug.gif
  Now I feel much safer about my small but precious PCDP collection!

Feb 6, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #484 of 579
I recently returned to work with my Sony D-211. I replaced whole laser pickup and replaced 3 faulty electrolytic caps. Well, didn't help. Focus lens action is still weird up-drop like but now when trying to read CD it spins, slows down, spins wrong direction randomly and so on.

Feb 13, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #485 of 579
All SMT caps need to be replaced, not only three. Also the leaking areas should be cleaned one by one. 80% D211 can e repaired by these steps, 20% need further circuit repair.

Feb 13, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #486 of 579
Anyone knows what's happening with my D5? Connected to the wall adapter after a year of non use and this is what happened. On digits are on hyperdrive!

When I turn the units switch on, same thing.
Tried disconnecting and reconnecting same thing.

Feb 18, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #488 of 579
Has anyone come up with a battery for the D25? I have two after market that are li ion and still work but they won't work forever. 

May 20, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #490 of 579
Hi folks, I searched a bit but didn't find another with my problem. On my D-303 it's gotten to the point where hitting 'next track' kills it. The display will go from whatever track it's playing to to showing '00' then the orange light will flicker for a sec and the player will shut off.

Once it shuts down I can't get it to play discs at all. It'll turn on, show me the tracks and total time but shut right off again. I need to unplug it from power or pull the battery before it'll play a disc again. Not the biggest worry because I like to play discs all the way through anyway but hoping it's not a precursor to a bigger problem. 

Any thoughts, advice?

Thanks!
Ashkun

May 22, 2016 at 12:22 AM Post #492 of 579
Bad caps around power supply would be my primary suspects also. I do not have D-303 in my collection but the models that I checked today (D-50, D-90, D-350) all draw 20-50% more current during forced track change. Maybe it puts too much stress on aged/dried caps during play. Or maybe hardened grease on the worm won't let the sled move fast enough, then servo just shuts it off. These are two easy to fix problems...
A similar problem got answered a week or so ago by Kaosun on his own site re. D-5 acting weird, you may want to check his answer.

May 23, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #493 of 579
Thanks! Makes so much sense that the extra current draw is causing the fail. Will open the PCDP and get in there someday after widdling down an ever growing to-do list. 

Jul 1, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #494 of 579
So I just came into possession of a D-303. I got a universal adapter, and plugged it in. It worked last night but today the sound is completely distorted when the adapter is plugged in. I confirmed it working with other devices. Could a capacitor have blown? If so why is the battery power working flawlessly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back