The DIY Discman Repair Thread
Feb 22, 2017 at 6:50 AM Post #496 of 579
recently acquired a D-350 without ANY accessories. plugged it in using an adjustable 9V AC adapter (and made sure the polarity is correct) and it powers on BUT, i get the "no disc" error. before i attempt to go any further in terms of repair, may i get the exact specifications of the power adapter? mine outputs 350mA max. is that enough?

Feb 22, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #497 of 579
recently acquired a D-350 without ANY accessories. plugged it in using an adjustable 9V AC adapter (and made sure the polarity is correct) and it powers on BUT, i get the "no disc" error. before i attempt to go any further in terms of repair, may i get the exact specifications of the power adapter? mine outputs 350mA max. is that enough?

I can't say for sure, but I would assume 350mA is a bit low current. I once tested my Sony Discman D-321 from usb output which is 5V ~500mA and it didn't work, so I doubt 350mA would be enough for older Discman either. Also when power isn't adequate, symptoms are usually that player starts up and when it attempts to read the disc it shuts off because there's not enough current for motor actions. No disc error doesn't exactly apply to that behavior. But neverthless I suggest you to try more powerful adapter.

Feb 22, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #498 of 579
I can't say for sure, but I would assume 350mA is a bit low current. I once tested my Sony Discman D-321 from usb output which is 5V ~500mA and it didn't work, so I doubt 350mA would be enough for older Discman either. Also when power isn't adequate, symptoms are usually that player starts up and when it attempts to read the disc it shuts off because there's not enough current for motor actions. No disc error doesn't exactly apply to that behavior. But neverthless I suggest you to try more powerful adapter.

yeah, i figured as much. it seemed the player wasnt even attempting to read the disc. i'll try to get a hold of a more powerful one. any suggestions on what output would be ideal? any clue on the output of the original adapter? both service and owners manuals don't specify at all, whih is quite odd.

Feb 22, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #499 of 579
Original Sony adapter for US 120V, AC-940, is rated at 600mA.
I checked my working D-350 with a desktop regulated power supply, it shows that at startup for a split-second it draws 270mA, at play ~150mA, during track change ~170mA.
I checked my aftermarket 9V 300mA adapter with D-350, it works fine with it.
"No Disc" message!..  is this a fancy way to say that laser cannot lock onto CD?
Go thru the first few steps of its Service Manual, to check that the sled is moving, laser is shining, etc. You do not even have to open it, just need a toothpick to make it think that the cover is closed

Feb 22, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #500 of 579
I checked my working D-350 with a desktop regulated power supply, it shows that at startup for a split-second it draws 270mA, at play ~150mA, during track change ~170mA.
"No Disc" message!..  is this a fancy way to say that laser cannot lock onto CD?
Go thru the first few steps of its Service Manual, to check that the sled is moving, laser is shining, etc. You do not even have to open it, just need a toothpick to make it think that the cover is closed

great thanks! this helps a lot! exactly the information i need.

i'll go do this later.  hope it works out!

Feb 23, 2017 at 6:15 AM Post #501 of 579

so i did the laser diode check and it does indeed light up, although it seems faint. ill probably get another ac adapter with the right output first. is there a way to check if the motor and other mechanical components are working WITHOUT going into service mode / disassembly?

Feb 23, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #502 of 579
so i did the laser diode check and it does indeed light up, although it seems faint. ill probably get another ac adapter with the right output first. is there a way to check if the motor and other mechanical components are working WITHOUT going into service mode / disassembly?

You can observe motors just as you observe laser, because usually cd players move laser pick-up out and in same time as it's attempting to read the disc. Also observe that lens is smoothly moving up and down. Spindle motor might also do some spins, but that varies between cd players, some spin the disc and some don't.

Feb 23, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #503 of 579

You can observe motors just as you observe laser, because usually cd players move laser pick-up out and in same time as it's attempting to read the disc. Also observe that lens is smoothly moving up and down. Spindle motor might also do some spins, but that varies between cd players, some spin the disc and some don't.

Noticed VERY slight movement of the lens when i observed the laser.  Did not move along the "rail" though.  It slightly moved from the center for a few mm (yes, millimeters) and that's about it... Not looking good thus far.  I'll chime back in once I get an appropriate AC adapter and a replacement CR2016 (using an old but working one).  I'm REALLY hoping that it's just a power issue.  Otherwise, it'll be junked.  Didn't spend a lot though so it's really not a big deal for now.  Just want to make sure it is usable before I invest further with a new lens and an original adapter.  

Feb 26, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #504 of 579

I was finally able to get a more powerful AC adapter... and it still won't read.

Got a tip somewhere else that I could move the entire lens assembly to the end of the rail before plugging it in.  Did just that and the assembly DID in fact return back to its original position (yay!).  Still get the "no disc" error though....

1.  Can I assume that the motor works (since the assembly did move back to its original posiition)?
2.  I'm assuming the laser is dead at this point.  Any leads on where I can get one?  It's a Sanyo SF-89.  Saw one for sale on eBay but the price is double to triple what its listed for on Chinese sites (all out of stock though).
3.  Could it be something else? Dead capacitors perhaps?

I'll keep tinkering with it and possibly take a look inside once I I have enough time (and courage).

Feb 26, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #505 of 579

once you get enough courage, this is what you are going to see
wink.gif

Feb 26, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #506 of 579

once you get enough courage, this is what you are going to see
wink.gif

confused_face_2.gif
  ... and that's how you convince someone to just bring it to a repair shop... 
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 28, 2017 at 12:54 AM Post #507 of 579
:confused_face_2:   ... and that's how you convince someone to just bring it to a repair shop... :tongue_smile:  

Unfortunately almost always the best bet is bad capacitors. They're always the first components to susbect. And you're lucky if it includes only electrolytes... I have one sony where I changed all electrolyte caps, and guess what, it didn't still work. Seems like I should change also some SMD caps. Pretty nasty devices to repair, sometimes.

Mar 2, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #508 of 579
:confused_face_2:   ... and that's how you convince someone to just bring it to a repair shop... :tongue_smile:  
Repair shop for a Discman? Don't think you will find one! ;-(
Your best (and cheapest) bet is with Kaosun, or Master Gu as our Chinese comrads call him.
Do Not dismiss the chance of a weak laser: I spent a few weeks trying to revive one of my D-90, then transplanted laser mech from one of my busted D-11 and it worked!! It all depends on how much the little baby was used by a previous owner, and your Luck (as usual). I keep reminding myself that if it wasnt for the Bad Luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all :wink:

Apr 19, 2017 at 1:32 AM Post #509 of 579
I got a lot out of this thread, so I joined up here to post some results.  Thanks to everyone who has contributed here.

First, I just got a Sony D-35 from eBay that was "untested due to lack of power supply."  I took this to be eBay-ese for "doesn't work right, but I don't want to say that so I can charge more for it."  I was not disappointed.  It read a disc OK, but then skipped most of the way through track 1, halfway through track 2, and landed somewhere in track 3 before settling down a bit.  Figuring it might need adjustment, I opened the back and looked for the 50x trimmers that are so ubiquitous on old Sony players.  Adjusting most of these made things not much better to far worse, so I returned them to the spot where the player seemed least unhappy.

I then noticed that it worked better on its side.  Not just better, in fact, but MUCH better.  It could play track 1, the transport was much quieter, the CD I was testing with didn't suck as much... you get the idea.  (Kidding.  It's actually a great disc.)  So this made me wonder if maybe the problem was more mechanical in nature.  The motor didn't seem to have bearing issues or runout, but just in case, I opened the lid and wedged something into the lid sensor switch cavity.  These old players kind of rely on the magnetic clamp to keep the CD and spindle tightly coupled, but it was still able to slip up to speed eventually, and then it started playing with no issues.

I took the lid off its hinges, removed the metal plate on the inside of the lid (losing one of the impossibly small screws in the process), and noticed the metal plate had a bit of a bow to it.  Kind of like somebody sat on the poor thing by accident and bent the lid slightly out of shape.  So, I worked on that for a little while, trying to coax it back into flat-ish.  The plate has all the electronics for the display and buttons attached, and serves as the retainer for the disc clamp.  It's also on its own hinges, so you can close it over the disc while the cosmetic lid itself is still wide open.  You still have to trip the lid sensor manually, though.  While not perfect, the transport was able to play the disc much easier now.  Pressing buttons, or moving it just so, would still cause a little bit of friction on the disc, and so more skipping.  But it was much improved, so I kept working on reshaping the plate.  I found a dip on the back by the hinges that I missed before.  I wasn't able to flatten it completely, but I did bend it back enough that, when reassembled, it seemed to be working pretty much perfectly.

I put in another disc to test with, and listened to the whole thing without issue.  Looks like this one's back in service.  :)

Now, I have two D-88s that are both very ill.  At least one of them appears to be having trouble moving the sled around.  It will attempt to crawl by a tiny, tiny amount -- but it's s-l-o-w moving, and gives up almost immediately.  You can only tell by watching the motor gear teeth.  It turns about 1/4 turn and stops.  I've noticed that if you position the sled somewhere by hand, it will sometimes just start playing whatever happens to be over the laser, but it can't seem to track anywhere by itself.  I haven't gotten as far with the other one, but it similarly has trouble getting even a TOC.  Both seem to be missing a channel on the headphone output.  Probably about time for new electrolytics all the way around, and then who knows what.

And then there's the D-5.  It's working just swimmingly, aside from smelling like someone left it in a moldy box for 15 years.  Sony did not mess around with that one.  Thing's built like a tank!

Mar 6, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #510 of 579
I took the lid off its hinges, removed the metal plate on the inside of the lid (losing one of the impossibly small screws in the process), and noticed the metal plate had a bit of a bow to it. Kind of like somebody sat on the poor thing by accident and bent the lid slightly out of shape. So, I worked on that for a little while, trying to coax it back into flat-ish. The plate has all the electronics for the display and buttons attached, and serves as the retainer for the disc clamp. It's also on its own hinges, so you can close it over the disc while the cosmetic lid itself is still wide open. You still have to trip the lid sensor manually, though. While not perfect, the transport was able to play the disc much easier now. Pressing buttons, or moving it just so, would still cause a little bit of friction on the disc, and so more skipping. But it was much improved, so I kept working on reshaping the plate. I found a dip on the back by the hinges that I missed before. I wasn't able to flatten it completely, but I did bend it back enough that, when reassembled, it seemed to be working pretty much perfectly.

I put in another disc to test with, and listened to the whole thing without issue. Looks like this one's back in service. :)

Well. I recently acquired with some luck a Sony D-99 (in non working condition), for free. And a D-303 for 30 dollars (in working condition). Both in pristine cosmetically condition. Didn't know that they were this collectible until I started looking them up. I just have a soft spot for these metal build vintage machines, and I wanted a discman again :)

D-99:
I got the D-99 working again. Just for helping other people out: The laser sled was stuck in position. It just made sounds moving the laser up and down but it did'n read a disc. When I tried to start the laser-assembly from the back position. It didn't move to the centre when I started the player with a disc. By pulling the smallest gear (the one from the motor) backward - out of line with the other gears - I could slowly get the other gears moving. But they were really stuck very hard. Once they were free again I regreased them and the player worked.
Sound was very silent and distorted (on both line-out and headphone out). So I recapped the caps for the these two outputs. They were also the ones that were in bad shape (leaking and bulging form the bottom). Now it sounds like new and pretty good. I was quite impressed hearing my cd's like this. Very good separation and clarity.

D-303:
This one has the skipping problem. But after reading SirNicks hinge-repair... I remembered my closing cover is not closing perfectly horizontal. So i will also get of the cover and look if something is bend there. The motor I have does not feel to have much play when i try to move the disc platter sideways. And so I don't think think the motor is very worn out. So I don't know if replacing the motor is gonna fix it. I was thinking of also lubricating the motor shafts but I don't know how to do this. Do I have to take the spindle cd-platter off? There are two screws underneath the spindle platter... Do I loosen these? But then I still have to get the platter from the motor shaft... Is this just clamped on the shaft from the motor?

Another thing I was thinking of for the skipping problem is the way the laser assembly is put on a separate part connected with rubber and springs to the main chassis. The rubber from these shock absorbers looks worn out. Does anybody know where to get new rubber shocks for this player? I was also thinking of stretching the springs a little bit so the assembly sits a little higher in the chassis...

I also replaced two of the caps because I also got distorted sound from the headphone and line-out. But I want to redo them properly and check for other caps that have gone bad... Or just replace them all :)

It's fun working on these players and rewarding also. The D-99 sounds so good. I guess it's a sacrilege to say but at the moment I like it better than the 303-sound...
Looking forward to hear your replies!

Best regards,
Simon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back