The DIY Discman Repair Thread
Jul 4, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #466 of 579
I soldered four very thin wires from laser pick-up block to PCB's contactor. Pick-up block soldering was really easy when compared to PCB soldering but I did succeed anyway. Now focus and tracking coils at least measures very well and now I can play whole CD including outer last tracks. Even though tracking and focus coils are OK now, startup and focus problems still remains. :frowning2: It's very weird fault because I might have to restart player like twenty times before it starts to read CD but once it starts to play, it can play very succesfully. No skipping, track changing is very fast and sound is AMAZING. I'm running out of ideas, maybe one of IC chips is faulty.

Sep 26, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #467 of 579
My D777 has stopped reading discs when not in ESP mode, as I think ESP mode decreases SQ, I'm looking at replacing the optical drive unit. I've never opened a pcdp up before. Is it something a novice can do?

Sep 30, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #468 of 579
If you can replace all SMD capacitors around CXA1271, your problem ends. 
If you can replace all SMD capacitors on the motherboard, you'll have surprise!

Contact me for any further questions.
yixingu76201@gmail.com

Sep 30, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #470 of 579
1: Clean lense and check whether SMD caps are aged? If so, replace them.
2: Recalibrate the 5 reading parameters: TB, FB, TG, FG and PLL
3: Increase the laser power or replace the laser. 

Sep 30, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #472 of 579
  Today I noticed optical pick-up ribbon cable is in a quite bad shape. It actually causes problem with outer tracks, focus system simply stops working when ribbon cable bents on outer position of pick-up. I actually tested it by lifting ribbon cable gently with small screwdriver to possibly short broken traces while player tried to read last track of cd, and yes it actually started to read and play succesfully. So it is definitely ribbon cable. It's also very possible that it also causes faulty focus action because those traces are actually going to focus and tracking coils. I could try to manually re-wire those four traces which probably is VERY hard procedure. OR more easier and working solution is to buy new laser pick-up assembly KSS-330A which is only 15€ from Ebay. I'm really surprised that those pick-up assemblys are still sold.

Kss330/331 were quite popular during 90's in D335, D828, D211, Aiwa xp6/7/66/77, Casio and so on. It's good they're still available for vintage players. For your D211, all aged caps should replaced at first even if they're good. Then lubricate all mechanical parts, you're almost done.

Oct 23, 2015 at 6:55 AM Post #473 of 579
I have a Sony D55T. It's the version with a TV band as well as FM and AM radio. It is in lovely condition. The radio works really nicely but the problem is that when a CD is put in it shows 00 on the LCD, makes a noise like it is trying to track for a few seconds or so and then gives up and switches the LCD off. I can use the track change rocker to put it onto track 1, 2, 3 etc on first trying to play a CD and that shows on the LCD, but then it shows 00 again and stops. I know nothing about these old discmans or any electronics. I have a D20 and D11 that both work perfectly, but would like to get the D55T playing CD's. I just love the sound of these old Sonys and this one needs to give some pleasure again. Is there anyone out there who knows a good Vintage Sony repair person if it's not something I can solve.

Oct 24, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #475 of 579

I managed to revive my Sony D-90 yesterday but it looks like it needs some final touches. Starting from the middle of CD it skips every few minutes, meaning it just pauses for a split-sec, sounds more like a click on LPs followed by a pause, laser does not move forward or backwards during skip. With CD-R it gets Much worse. It looks like its time to go thru the motions recommended in "How to adjust your PCDPs tracking and focus" thread. I am trying to dig up some info on how to be more hi-tech about this than just rotating all available pots. Will be eternally grateful if you could point me toward any such info, the books that I have either say NeverEverTouchThese or Use a CD Jig.
In other words, when you recommend:
2: Recalibrate the 5 reading parameters: TB, FB, TG, FG and PLL 
what do you mean by that?

Oct 25, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #476 of 579
Your problem is caused by a worn spindle motor. Well lubricating both ends bearings will reduce the skipping even handle your issue if the spindle does wear too much. The final solution is replacing it. The model RF300c with similar length of the shaft can replace the original one. Be sure to measure the height of the turntable for restoration. Also don't distort the turntable. 

Oct 27, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #478 of 579
I have a D-88 that has trouble with the first track of most cd's, It usually starts in the middle of the first track and skips a bit.  It doesn't have any issues with the other tracks and finds them quickly.  do you have any recommendations?

Oct 28, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #480 of 579
You'd better never modify these VRs since you lack of enough experience to improve them. As you mentioned the CDR worse, I believe you need a oscilloscope to precisely adjust the 5-parameter. Or you can increase the laser a little bit until the reading noise gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back