The DIY Discman Repair Thread
Jan 8, 2005 at 6:19 AM Post #151 of 579
Hello Everybody,

I aquired a Sony D-311 player, but haven't enjoyed it cause it is having problems picking up track 1. My problem sounds similar to other posts here...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Achtunghoy
So I got it off of ebay, and I was hoping I could fix it with the help of my Head-Fi peers. It spins up, but it won't start playing the track. This is with a redbook cd. Not burned. While it is spinning up, I heard sets of a *rrrrr* followed by a click (reminded me of when my Karma died!) and then after 15 seconds, the unit shuts off. Any thoughts?

*rrrr*..click..*rrrr*..click..*rrrr*..click....

It shows track 00 while the cd spins.

Please help!!

This is exactly what my D-311 is doing. It powers up fine, I can hear the motor spinning the disc fine, but it cannot read track 1. The display shows the battery indicator and the Track "00." I can hear the beep power up sound of the D-311 and I can toggle all the DSP Mode, Effect, Play Mode, Repeat/Enter buttons and they are displayed on the LCD fine with no problems. But the player cannot track and play track 1, after 2 attempts the player powers off. With no CD inside the player, the D-311 detects no disc and displays the error message "no disc" and shuts off.

So what could it be? I tried to clean the external laser lense, but that didn't help. I manually moved the Laser head to the outer position of the player and powered up the unit with a CD disc inside. The player moved the Laser Head to the inner position to read track 1 but failed to do so, clicked, and then after trying for the second time unsuccessfully the player shuts down.

This couldn't be a problem with adjusting pot settings. I am going to open up the player and check for debris and solid gunk impeding the movement of the laser head. But what else could it be?

Anybody have the Service Manual for the Sony D-311 and D-35 please contact me.

Oh yeah I forgot to ask, can someone please suggest some "lubed the worm gear" lube I can get at my local WalMart or RadioShack store? Also is there a Portable CD Laser Lense cleaner that does an excellent job of cleaning a portable CD Laser Lense that I can pick up at a local B&M store also.

Thanks!

Jan 8, 2005 at 7:18 AM Post #152 of 579
Quote:

Originally Posted by rab10
Hello Everybody,

I aquired a Sony D-311 player, but haven't enjoyed it cause it is having problems picking up track 1. My problem sounds similar to other posts here...

This is exactly what my D-311 is doing. It powers up fine, I can hear the motor spinning the disc fine, but it cannot read track 1. The display shows the battery indicator and the Track "00." I can hear the beep power up sound of the D-311 and I can toggle all the DSP Mode, Effect, Play Mode, Repeat/Enter buttons and they are displayed on the LCD fine with no problems. But the player cannot track and play track 1, after 2 attempts the player powers off. With no CD inside the player, the D-311 detects no disc and displays the error message "no disc" and shuts off.

So what could it be? I tried to clean the external laser lense, but that didn't help. I manually moved the Laser head to the outer position of the player and powered up the unit with a CD disc inside. The player moved the Laser Head to the inner position to read track 1 but failed to do so, clicked, and then after trying for the second time unsuccessfully the player shuts down.

This couldn't be a problem with adjusting pot settings. I am going to open up the player and check for debris and solid gunk impeding the movement of the laser head. But what else could it be?

Anybody have the Service Manual for the Sony D-311 and D-35 please contact me.

Oh yeah I forgot to ask, can someone please suggest some "lubed the worm gear" lube I can get at my local WalMart or RadioShack store? Also is there a Portable CD Laser Lense cleaner that does an excellent job of cleaning a portable CD Laser Lense that I can pick up at a local B&M store also.

Thanks!

Why couldn't it be a problem with pot settings? Doesn't the D-311 have pots? Sounds like the same thing my D-350 (D-35) was doing when I bought it off of ebay. I read some of the info posted earlier in this thread, took the case apart, made some adjustments, and now it works like a charm.

As for cleaning the lens, I have always used a cotton swab DAMPENED (not soaking wet) with either glass cleaner or rubbing alcohol. Others may disagree with this approach, but I've owned over 50 CD and MD players, and it always works fine for me.

For lubing the mechanism, I use a plastic compatible lightweight grease that I obtained from my local hobby shop. The brand name is LaBelle. They make many different varieties of lubricant.

Jeff

Jan 11, 2005 at 3:56 AM Post #154 of 579
Quote:

Originally Posted by brenda
Hi guys

new here. I have just spotted a Sony N2R35 in the paper for 5 English pounds, I suppose eight dollars? Is it worth getting even if a repair is necessary? Thanks.

Hi Brenda,

Welcome to the group. What exactly is a Sony N2R35? I did a Google search and came up with nothing. Do you know the year of manufacture, and original selling price when new?

Jeff

Jan 11, 2005 at 12:35 PM Post #155 of 579
Hi Jeff and thanks for the welcome and response. The advertiser gave me that information when I rang him. He was a bit shady I think because at first when I asked him how old it was he said oh not that old maybe a few years. Then I said that I was looking for an old one and he said yes it is old!! It is too far for me to view so I will not bother. Thanks again. I will look on e-bay instread following the advise here to find an old sony discman. I am giving my present set up to my sons MS floor speakers, Harman Kardon amp and Yamaha cd player (along with the rest of the equipment which is my legacy after my marriage split ie MS centre speaker, Tsunami sub woofer and two extra speakers to make up surround sound system) I do not watch DVD's but love my music so I need some new equipment, so thinking of just using a disman in the meantime or perhaps permanently. I am impressed with my sons cans, Seinheiser's and like them better than my speakers as there is more detail and clarity in vocals though less separation. I am thinking of head-fi for the future.

Brenda

Jan 15, 2005 at 2:24 AM Post #158 of 579
Quote:

Originally Posted by brenda
Hi guys

new here. I have just spotted a Sony N2R35 in the paper for 5 English pounds, I suppose eight dollars? Is it worth getting even if a repair is necessary? Thanks.

I know that the case is already closed on this one - but to me, that model number looks remarkably similar to the MZ-R35 MD recorder.

An ex girlfriend of mine had one of these, looks quite MZ-R50ish, probably would've been worth picking up for a fiver
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 7, 2005 at 4:29 AM Post #161 of 579
Was there a bit of a plastic hook that latched with the mechanism inside?

If so, do you have the piece? Is it rattling around inside the player?

If so, it could be "super glued" and that might work.

Paul

Feb 15, 2005 at 3:07 AM Post #162 of 579
two of my panasonic cd players would not detect the CD, I pop several differnt CDs in, and each time is moves its little lazer on a track thing a bit, thenmoves the lens up and down, and then says "no cd" or whatever on the display... one of htem I dropped int he toilet and the other was dropped a few itmes but it was working last time and i havent dropped it since and it suddenly stopped working when i decided to check up on it again. does nyone know what could be wrong witht hem? is it repairable? i already took all the "guts" out of the casing for fun and it still works as it did, sitll displays "no cd". it doesnt seem completely broken so i was wondering if its fixable...

Feb 15, 2005 at 5:15 AM Post #163 of 579
Hi All,

I have a Sony D-777 that doesn't do anything when I pop in a CD. I turn it on but the disc doesn't spin and 5 seconds later, it automatically turned off. Should I throw it away? I need help.

Feb 15, 2005 at 7:51 AM Post #164 of 579
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sony D-777
Hi All, I have a Sony D-777 that doesn't do anything when I pop in a CD. I turn it on but the disc doesn't spin and 5 seconds later, it automatically turned off. Should I throw it away? I need help.

I have a D-311 that is almost doing the same thing. Search this thread, I documented this problem before with my player. I think that it is a faulty laser assembly unit, but I could be wrong. Don't throw the player away, see if you can fix it and then post what you did to get it working here.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hello Everybody, now for my question:
Is there any other Sony portable CD player that has the same laser assembly pickup as the D-311 player? I could transplant laser assemblies to bring my
D-311 back to life. Or does anybody know where I can purchase the correct laser assembly unit for the D-311 player.

Thanks!

Feb 25, 2005 at 6:11 PM Post #165 of 579
Hi I'm Katia from Portugal
orphsmile.gif

I was looking for something in my bedroom and I came across with my old cd-player, a Sony D-183. It stopped working a few years ago and my friends told me that the repairs on discman's are very expensive and it wasn't worth it. But today I placed the batteries and a cd and it worked for a while!
280smile.gif

What happens is that, when I put the CD, it starts to rotate but doesn't start to play. I can change tracks, but the timer doesn't appear on the monitor and I can't hear no sound. but today I could listen to a little bit but then it stopped. the cd keeps moving and, eventually stops.

Can somebody help me, please??
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back