The DIY Cable Info and Help Thread
Feb 29, 2012 at 5:09 AM Post #76 of 105

Quote:
The standard 3.5 mm jack has only 3 solder points. Left, Right and Ground. Nevertheless, if you are using one cable for the right and one cable for the left, you will have right +, right -, left + and left -, in terms that right + and left + are the signal going to the headphone and right -, left - would be the mass or ground.  Further you can also solder the cable shield in addition to the ground pin of the jack. But only to the jack..

Maybe this will help you:

http://www.savantaudio.com/wirediag.pdf

Thanks.

i think im right in waht im saying then. you solder 2 ground wires to the ground on the 3.5mm one for each channel

Feb 29, 2012 at 6:47 AM Post #77 of 105
Attach Left + to the tip, Right + to the ring, and both Left - and Right - to the sleeve. (For our purposes, that's what's meant by "common ground")

The four-conductor 3.5mm plugs you see are for iPhone, Android, Nokia, etc., phones. The extra contact point is for the microphone.

HiFiMAN uses a 4-conductor 3.5mm plug for non-microphone balanced connections on one of their products, but unless you have a HM-801 with a balanced amp, this is not your concern.

Feb 29, 2012 at 7:36 AM Post #78 of 105

Quote:
Thanks, ive looked at this but as you can see it only mentions 3 outputs on the "standard" 3.5mm jack.

Left +
Right +
Ground

every custom iem cable ive seen seems to have 4 wires coming from the 3.5mm. im taking a guess here but i should solder 2 wires to ground? one for Left & one for right?

Apologies, I should go back and read it all again myself. Wrongly assumed it would be covered as there was an abundance of great info. Sorry, I wasn't being rude..

Feb 29, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #79 of 105

Quote:
Apologies, I should go back and read it all again myself. Wrongly assumed it would be covered as there was an abundance of great info. Sorry, I wasn't being rude..

Not to worry mate, didnt take it as being rude. i am new to this so every bit of help is grately received.

Quote:
Attach Left + to the tip, Right + to the ring, and both Left - and Right - to the sleeve. (For our purposes, that's what's meant by "common ground")

The four-conductor 3.5mm plugs you see are for iPhone, Android, Nokia, etc., phones. The extra contact point is for the microphone.

HiFiMAN uses a 4-conductor 3.5mm plug for non-microphone balanced connections on one of their products, but unless you have a HM-801 with a balanced amp, this is not your concern.

Thanks buddy, it would be as the first line. i did see the four conductor one but myself would be using a three.

no HiFiMAN products in my collection.

this all could go horribly wrong and i'd just stick with my standard cable but i like to have a go and stuff and normally manage to scrape by. everyone has to start somewhere. this would be a good little project i think.

Mar 1, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #80 of 105
Hello ardgedee,

Finally found the pic and post with the pinout for HiFiMAN's TRRS pinout (this example is for the RE-ZERO) thought it would be insane of them to not implement the same topology across the whole line.

LINK TO THREAD & POST:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/497347/re-zero-photos-first-thoughts-now-with-review-links/30#post_6723202

... and the image of the TRRS pinout.

------
EDIT:

WHOOPS! looks like I was too slow in posting! LOL. Well, here is the pic anyhow.

Mar 3, 2012 at 4:22 AM Post #81 of 105
Finally got around to visit this thread. This is an awesome idea, I wish I had something like this when I started. The connectors diagrams are really helpful, maybe adding a small image for each would be good too.

Does anyone know any way to get the DHC Nucleotide shipped to Europe without the grotesque shipping costs? Maybe a group buy? I realize it's a signed shipping, but it's still excessive.

Mar 3, 2012 at 7:48 AM Post #82 of 105
Thanks.

I've been considering ways to add images. At the moment, short of drawing them all myself or mailing out a lot of permission requests, I don't know how to source everything legitimately.

Sorry for the long delay in updates; non-headfi commitments have had to take priority for the past two weeks. This weekend should see more progress, charts-wise.

Mar 3, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #83 of 105
You've already contributed a lot, no need to apologize.
As for the images, how about using mostly Neutrik? They sell pretty much any connector, except for the proprietary ones (Sennheiser, HiFiMAN, AKG). That way you only have to send one e-mail. Besides, new members are usually recommended to use Neutrik when doing a cable so they'll relate the pic to what they'll be using.

Mar 3, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #85 of 105

Quote:
What do you consider "grotesque"?

Unless you need a LOT of wire, a USPS Priority Mail flat rate envelope is only $16.95US.

se

Their main shipping method costs 40$. It says I can contact them for a 15$ not-signed shipping, which is what I usually pay for a signed shipping from the US. I'm not saying it's their fault.

Mar 4, 2012 at 6:09 AM Post #86 of 105
ill be making my first cables tomorrow or monday.

got sleeving, canare quad cable, a rean 3.5mm plug for my grados, viablue 3.5mm and splitter with the cardas hd650 connectors for the 650s. cant wait. ill let you guys know how it goes.

thanks for all the good info.

Mar 6, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #87 of 105
Hello,

i have never made a cable so i need some help. 

i have done some research and this is what i know. Can someone confirm if this is correct.
i know this has been discussed but i not sure if i understand it correctly and a picture is easier to understand than words :)

3(red) wil be for the left ear
2(black) will be for the right ear
1 (brown) wil be ground

and can someone explain me how to make the y-split.

Mar 6, 2012 at 6:23 AM Post #88 of 105
PakoBoy take your plug. Hold the tip, the part that you actually fit inside the jack, away from you, so you're looking at it from the back. The connector on your left is the left signal, the one on your right is the right signal. I can't exactly tell from that image, but I think you have it right.

Now instead of splitting immediately after the plug like the image would suggest, after you solder the wires and hold them with glue, braid them - there are guides for it, google "litz braid". Cover the braided wires with nylon multifilament if you want. After a certain legth of your choice separate the left and right wires (signal and ground), now for the Y-split:

You can use a piece of normal heatshrink in each group of the 2 wires, heat, then use a piece of self-adesive heatshrink where you splitted the wires, use metal tweezers to press the heatshrink in the middle, between the wires. Then heat that place and the heatshrink should stick together where you pressed with the tweezers, giving you a nice triangle splitter.

Another idea is to use the barrel of a connector, if you're like me and botched a few connectors you should have plenty lying around. Also Qables sells a nice plastic splitter. If you're into crafts you can use anything with 1 entry hole and 2 exit holes, from bones to wood beads.

Mar 6, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #89 of 105
thx a lot lizardking

could you confirm if i can use this cable for audio purpose? because the description says its to connect battery 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1M-Red-1M-Black-20-AWG-Heatproof-Soft-Silicon-Wire-Cable-Battery-connect-/320859045570?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ab4b07ec2#ht_1377wt_805

Mar 6, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #90 of 105

Quote:
Hello,

i have never made a cable so i need some help. 

i have done some research and this is what i know. Can someone confirm if this is correct.
i know this has been discussed but i not sure if i understand it correctly and a picture is easier to understand than words :)

3(red) wil be for the left ear
2(black) will be for the right ear
1 (brown) wil be ground

and can someone explain me how to make the y-split.

You have your tip and ring reversed. 

The tip is always the left channel. (right = ring)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back