The DIY Cable Info and Help Thread
Feb 26, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #61 of 105

Quote:
I've always wondered. Whats the pin out for dual 3-pin XLR's?

Quote:
You take the 3-pin XLR and make one for the left channel and one for the right.  I don't know what you're playing at, but balanced operation is either one 4-pin XLR, or dual 3-pin. 

If this is some young whippersnapper exercise in ironic humor, I gotta admit, I'm not getting it.

Pingupenguins, yeah, it's the fifth row in the first connector table. Lurkumaural is right that it's already there, but I can try to rewrite it for clarity if that's the problem you have with it.

Your help is all appreciated, guys, but a little more calmly, please. Calling out people starts a feedback loop and lead to fights, and I'd rather this thread be as accommodating as possible. Even if it gets a little frustrating at times.

Feb 26, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #62 of 105

Quote:

Pingupenguins, yeah, it's the fifth row in the first connector table. Lurkumaural is right that it's already there, but I can try to rewrite it for clarity if that's the problem you have with it.

Your help is all appreciated, guys, but a little more calmly, please. Calling out people starts a feedback loop and lead to fights, and I'd rather this thread be as accommodating as possible. Even if it gets a little frustrating at times.

I got confused with channel shield. So if I was working on a dual 3pin. I could theoretically for the first pin?

Feb 27, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #67 of 105
This is the place I use:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/596713/the-diy-cable-info-and-help-thread/45#post_8170705

Quote:
I guess we should get a list going of places to buy stuff...

Feb 27, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #68 of 105
Hello guys,

I ran out of wires, I had this nice 22AWG  copper covered in silicon that I bought from "lasser emporium" recommended by Grokit(?), I liked it because it was very dosile and thin, I could fit 6 of those in a 7 strand paracord easilly. can anyone recommend me a similar product?

thanks in advance.

Feb 27, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #69 of 105
Quote:
anyone got a list of places to get silver plated copper wire? 

In the US, Navships is the best deal for hobbyist quantities of 25' (7.6m). You can't do better unless you're buying 100m reels. Only real downsides are the sleeves are either Teflon or Kapton, both of which are pretty stiff.

Quote:
Hello guys,

I ran out of wires, I had this nice 22AWG  copper covered in silicon that I bought from "lasser emporium" recommended by Grokit(?), I liked it because it was very dosile and thin, I could fit 6 of those in a 7 strand paracord easilly. can anyone recommend me a similar product?

thanks in advance.

In the US, Testpath been recommended to me. The strand count is kinda' low, which might or might not matter. I haven't bought anything there yet but intend to.

There are a lot of vendors based in Hong Kong selling 12 through 22 AWG silicone wire for pretty cheap, free shipping. I don't know anybody who's tried one of them yet. Search for silicone wire on Ebay. (Don't forget the "e" in silicone...)

As for Laser Emporium, there used to be something at laseremp.com, but it seems to have gone defunct some time last fall, or fallen in a black hole or something.

Feb 28, 2012 at 3:57 AM Post #70 of 105
I am awaiting samples from a new supplier selling stranded copper and stranded silver (high strand count) in soft teflon. He has had it manufactured specifically.....

When I get the samples I will post pics and give you guys the link. He will also be selling other HQ DIY connectors and associated stuff. It's quite exiting for me being in the UK as we don't have this sort of supplier here at present.

Feb 28, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #71 of 105

Quote:
I am awaiting samples from a new supplier selling stranded copper and stranded silver (high strand count) in soft teflon. He has had it manufactured specifically.....

When I get the samples I will post pics and give you guys the link. He will also be selling other HQ DIY connectors and associated stuff. It's quite exiting for me being in the UK as we don't have this sort of supplier here at present.

i'd be interested in this.

ive just ordered my SE215's so once they come im gunna have a bash at some custom cables for it.

does anyone know how the MMCX connections are wired?

im assuming when making a cable i need 4 wires comng from the 3.5mm a Left, a right, & 2 grounds?

this then splits at the Y and i have a ground and right, then a ground and left. ground soldered to outer piece and then the signal (left & right bits) go to the centre pin?

Feb 28, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #72 of 105
^ You will find all the pin outs you will ever need on the 1st page, a lot of work has gone into collating these and they will prove invaluable in the DIY journey....

Anyone interested in quality wire check out here. He also has Copper and Silver Plated Copper in his other listings and is a great guy to deal with.

Pics added. This stuff looks real nice quality.

Copper
$(KGrHqZ,!q0E88giJL!BBPTTynpgug~~60_12.JPG

SPC
$(KGrHqJ,!qIE8WnQh994BPTTb0Zug!~~60_12.JPG

Silver
1330458981_1.jpg

Feb 29, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #73 of 105

Quote:
^ You will find all the pin outs you will ever need on the 1st page, a lot of work has gone into collating these and they will prove invaluable in the DIY journey....

Thanks, ive looked at this but as you can see it only mentions 3 outputs on the "standard" 3.5mm jack.

Left +
Right +
Ground

every custom iem cable ive seen seems to have 4 wires coming from the 3.5mm. im taking a guess here but i should solder 2 wires to ground? one for Left & one for right?

Feb 29, 2012 at 4:37 AM Post #74 of 105
The standard 3.5 mm jack has only 3 solder points. Left, Right and Ground. Nevertheless, if you are using one cable for the right and one cable for the left, you will have right +, right -, left + and left -, in terms that right + and left + are the signal going to the headphone and right -, left - would be the mass or ground.  Further you can also solder the cable shield in addition to the ground pin of the jack. But only to the jack..

Maybe this will help you:

http://www.savantaudio.com/wirediag.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back