The difference between a pro-audio person, a DIY person and a true audiophile
Feb 10, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #16 of 57
6) Typical teenage friends-> Why would you spend $400 on earphones!?! Anything over $20 is a rip off and a waste! There is NO difference between iPod earphones and your stupid in ear thingo's!

Feb 11, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #17 of 57
Thats just blasphemy!
tongue.gif

Feb 11, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #19 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If your new headphone has a touch of sibilance:

1) The pro-audio person will recommend that you pull out about 2.5-4 dB in the 6k or so range.

2) The DIY'er will recommend opening up your headphones, stuffing them with this foam they found on sale at walgreens.

3) The true audiophile will suggest you A) build a vinyl rig from only the rarest elements and only buy the most high quality produced albums, regardless of what the actual music is, B) get a $5000 amp, C) buy $500 cables to connect it all D) buy a $1000+ headphone

An audiophile spends $5000 on a headphone amp and says that it is the greatest thing in the world, spends his evening polishing the amp with a diaper instead of listenign to it;

A DIY'er spends $50 on parts to build a headphone amp and says that it is the greatest thing in the world; spends his evenings soldering in different capacitors every night instead of listening to it;

A Pro audio person has someone else pay for the headphone amp, then gets chocolate glaze from his doughnuts on the amp, spills coffee on it and shorts it out and then complains about how they should have gotten a better amp. Spends his evening watching **** on the interent.

Feb 11, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #20 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
6) Typical teenage friends-> Why would you spend $400 on earphones!?! Anything over $20 is a rip off and a waste! There is NO difference between iPod earphones and your stupid in ear thingo's!

I get that all the time! It wears really thin giving the same speech repeatedly...

"Those are some sick headphones! Let me listen!"
"Thank you. Ok, here you go."
"THEY'RE AWESOME! How much were they?"
"About $200."
"$200!? Why would you spend that much?"
"I dunno. Basically I'm insane...
rolleyes.gif
"
"What's that thing?"
"It's a headphone amp."
"SICK! How much was that?"
"$300."

...You see the cycle.
biggrin.gif

Feb 11, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #21 of 57
This is how the conversation involving me and my friends would be like:

"What the screw are those things!?"
"Westone UM3X...IEM's...In ear Monitors..."
"What?"
"Errr..earphones.."
"They look ugly! Gayest things I have ever seen!"
"Beat the crap through your iPod earbuds"
"What? Every earphone sounds the same you idiot"
"Err no. Not even close, every earphones is unique, these earphones would want to be for the price I paid"
"How much were they? $80?"
"$380...$80 is WAY too cheap for me"
"WHAT!! $380!! OMG EVERYONE ALEX BOUGHT $380 EARPHONES! WHAT AN IDIOT HAHAHAHA!!!"
"Yes, I care about sound quality and can afford it, so what? I listen to music more than you, I deserve good sound
biggrin.gif
"
"No you don't, you're an idiot. And what the screw is that stupid thing?"
"A headphone amplifier...it makes my music sound better and can go louder"
"HAHA what a waste! You are really, really dumb, all speakers, earphones, headphones, whatever, sound all the same, no amplifier is going to do anything"

Feb 11, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #24 of 57
Quote:

3) The true audiophile will suggest you A) build a vinyl rig from only the rarest elements and only buy the most high quality produced albums, regardless of what the actual music is, B) get a $5000 amp, C) buy $500 cables to connect it all D) buy a $1000+ headphone

3.5) A true audiophile might just try to convince himself, if he MAYBE changed the speed (just a touch) of his table and use a dab of "silver lube" on his cartridge tags the SIBILANCE will be thrown deeper into the soundstage, therefore GONE, Just plain damn magic........Oh, what a tweek can do!!!!!

Feb 11, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #25 of 57
Quote:

1) The pro-audio person will recommend that you pull out about 2.5-4 dB in the 6k or so range.

2) The DIY'er will recommend opening up your headphones, stuffing them with this foam they found on sale at walgreens.

You left out #4 so I will help you out:

4) The members of the Sound Science forum will deny there is any sibilance since there was no statistically valid DBT performed.

darthsmile.gif

Feb 11, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #26 of 57
Quote:

This is how the conversation involving me and my friends would be like:

"What the screw are those things!?"
"Westone UM3X...IEM's...In ear Monitors..."
"What?"
"Errr..earphones.."
"They look ugly! Gayest things I have ever seen!"
"Beat the crap through your iPod earbuds"
"What? Every earphone sounds the same you idiot"
"Err no. Not even close, every earphones is unique, these earphones would want to be for the price I paid"
"How much were they? $80?"
"$380...$80 is WAY too cheap for me"
"WHAT!! $380!! OMG EVERYONE ALEX BOUGHT $380 EARPHONES! WHAT AN IDIOT HAHAHAHA!!!"
"Yes, I care about sound quality and can afford it, so what? I listen to music more than you, I deserve good sound
biggrin.gif
"
"No you don't, you're an idiot. And what the screw is that stupid thing?"
"A headphone amplifier...it makes my music sound better and can go louder"
"HAHA what a waste! You are really, really dumb, all speakers, earphones, headphones, whatever, sound all the same, no amplifier is going to do anything"

Around here is where I start laughing really loud in a deep voice and telling myself that it's okay, they're just the common folk."

Feb 11, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #27 of 57
Lol
biggrin.gif
I tried to memorise that conversation as much as possible. Most of it actually occurred
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 11, 2010 at 3:04 AM Post #28 of 57
Quote:

Depends on what you pair them with and the synergy. That's what the uDAC people keep saying, at least.
dt880smile.png

Feb 11, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #29 of 57
Yes but 99% of the world's population are a bunch of audio noobs and think earphones with anything, be it an iPod or a $10000 setup will sound the same.

Feb 11, 2010 at 6:41 AM Post #30 of 57
The pro and the DIY'er take sound and electronics seriously and approach things with a critical bent.

The true audiophile is a fashion plate. What is actually going on is secondary to keeping up appearances, status and playing dress-up with various tweaks like a girl puts outfits on her Barbie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back