The diary entries of a little girl nearing 30!
Jan 22, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #76 of 15,119
Quote:
Since there were quite a few Japan-o-philes in the last thread (kiteki being one of them) I thought I'd post this here: my two recent favourite pieces of music, from Squid Girl Invasion season 1 and 2 respectively (Shinryaku! Ika Musume)

Why do I hate American pop but love Jpop?

I want to say Japanese is more lyrical than English but that may just be because I I don't understand much Japanese...

Jan 22, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #77 of 15,119
The diary entries of a little pig, take 1.

I lost my UE700.  
etysmile.gif

Jan 22, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #78 of 15,119

Quote:

I want to say Japanese is more lyrical than English but that may just be because I I don't understand much Japanese...

I don't like J-pop and J-rock, but I have a very few exceptions for J-rock, and most of them are anime openings.
smile.gif

Jan 22, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #79 of 15,119

Quote:
Quote:

Woot and thanks for the clues, you've confirmed some of my suspicions.

Plan A was to just make some straight-up tips: pack the goop around earphone, stuff in ear, and cut away everything forward of the IEM's nozzle as shown in the Make post. Plan B was to extend the goop forward of the nozzle, with some kind of straw in place.

I'm going to use some UE phones for this experiment, and their nozzles are extraordinarily large, so one of my big concerns was that I might not have enough material lining all sides of the nozzle to pull the IEM out of the Radians-stuff without breaking the Radians-stuff. Another big concern is that the nozzles on the better UE phones have a couple openings, and a straw that doesn't line up perfectly could end up partially or wholly blocking one of them. So I might just pack enough goop around the nozzle to seal things off, and then drill out a hole for a straw afterwards. We'll see.

I think Plan A makes the whole idea slightly redundant at least in terms of increasing sound quality, as I thought the point of customs was to eliminate some early sound reflections / interactions between the sound waves and your ear canal by providing a smooth channel deeper in towards your ear canal.

Your second Plan B is something I thought of but you actually want to be confident that when you put the IEM in your ear to make a seal you straw, or whatever material you use, doesn't make it awkward to insert or make the Radians goop not actually fully enter your canal.

The last thing you suggest is what I actually ended up doing, but the risk there is: as you drill down the tube surrounded by goop you don't know if you are just about to actually drill right into the nozzle! I used a screwdriver to do it slowly but the Radians goop's consistency meant that the screwdriver really ended up with a ragged edge. If I had to do it again I would have used a power drill.

Quote:
Quote:

Hmm, this is a good idea. I once bought the monster super tips demo sampler and when I returned it I forgot to put the red rubber tubes back in the box so I have a ton of those. Honestly though I think the tubes inside the flanges in Iem's are much to thick as far as sound bores are concerned. I bet the thinner tubes in mechanical pens and pencils are a better bet.

I'm wishing I hadn't blindly thrown away my old ety foam tips now, those tubes would have been perfect. I guess I'll just take the tubes in my spare mushroom tips out.

I think the "cores" in foam tips are an even better bet for use as makeshift sound bores.

THose little red rubber tubes are awesome, and I use them on some of my IEM's even just to ensure and even more secure fit, like over the nozzles of my SM3. I use them in my custom 252 experiment but unfortunately they aren't actually long enough to reach down to the nozzle.

I'm sure inner tubes of IEM tips would work but most of them are far too thick a bore, except maybe the cores of Etymotic flange tips? I'm not too sure about using straws or anything with hard plastic since the resonance of that material may be unpredictable.

The shape of the bore itself has a lot of effect on the sound. Consider how Audio Technica is taking the idea of a horn nozzle and running with it. It certainly seems to work to increase bass frequencies in my CK90Pro, I took it out for a listen again yesterday and my jaw dropped because I forgot it offers more bass than the SM3 haha. SPeaking of which, has anyone here heard the CK100Pro yet?

Jan 22, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #81 of 15,119

Quote:

I don't really listen to pop music in general, though I'm not going ro outright say I hate it. However, there's always some super poppy sounding things that I love, especially when they are to the point of either being excessive or subversive.

For instance,

is a track I love because of the deliberately overblown mastering, the slightly creepy lyrics and just the tremendous way it conveys adolescence and summer. Sleigh Bells isn't exactly a pop outfit but this is the poppiest song on the album.

Whereas I love this because the music video and the music is so forcefully, forcefully sugarcoated insanity. 

Both of these are worth watching at higher quality at youtube itself :3

Jan 22, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #82 of 15,119
Quote:
Same. I find English popular music to be very crude. At least I have some knowledge of Chinese...

I think even most of the music with English lyrics I listen to is by bands from non-English speaking countries.  Continental Europe is full of great metal bands.

Jan 22, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #83 of 15,119
Quote:
I think Plan A makes the whole idea slightly redundant at least in terms of increasing sound quality, as I thought the point of customs was to eliminate some early sound reflections / interactions between the sound waves and your ear canal by providing a smooth channel deeper in towards your ear canal.

Your second Plan B is something I thought of but you actually want to be confident that when you put the IEM in your ear to make a seal you straw, or whatever material you use, doesn't make it awkward to insert or make the Radians goop not actually fully enter your canal.

The last thing you suggest is what I actually ended up doing, but the risk there is: as you drill down the tube surrounded by goop you don't know if you are just about to actually drill right into the nozzle! I used a screwdriver to do it slowly but the Radians goop's consistency meant that the screwdriver really ended up with a ragged edge. If I had to do it again I would have used a power drill.

I have a Dremel tool, so cutting small holes is not a problem.

I would clip the thing to stabilize it before drilling, and not keep it on the IEM while spinning tools are working on it.

I've decided on plan C: Cut the flanges off some existing tips and use that as a sleeve for the Radians experiment. Unfortunately my bin with the spare UE tips has gone walkabout. Ear gooping and (for unrelated reasons) soldering will have to wait a little while so I can deal with other commitments.

On the other hand, I've found the connector that RSA uses for The Protector's balanced output. It's kind of expensive direct through Ray or other audiophile resources (most of whom only sell the plug, not the socket), but pretty cheap through Mouser. I'm about to put in an order for a lot of random electronics parts an order through Mouser might be doable. Ordinarily I would not object to buying through our head-fi friendly retailers; what I lose on the markup I make up for in the ability to buy ones-and-twos of things and get some first-hand contact and support from real people, so it is a worthwhile expense. The gotcha is that nobody really seems to make an inline female socket, only panel-mount and board-mount sockets. I'll have to use a panel-mount and pack the solder points with hot glue or epoxy to keep things secure and protected. It's gonna look kind of blobby, at best.

Jan 22, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #84 of 15,119

Quote:
Quote:

I have a Dremel tool, so cutting small holes is not a problem.

I would clip the thing to stabilize it before drilling, and not keep it on the IEM while spinning tools are working on it.

I've decided on plan C: Cut the flanges off some existing tips and use that as a sleeve for the Radians experiment. Unfortunately my bin with the spare UE tips has gone walkabout. Ear gooping and (for unrelated reasons) soldering will have to wait a little while so I can deal with other commitments.

Ahh, you want to be able to make essentially a custom sleeve. I went the full route of embedding the 252 right into the goop heh.

I'm always thinking of having my CK90Pros reshelled but am concerned about what losing the horn nozzle will do. Does anyone know who does IEM recabling in Sydney?

Jan 22, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #85 of 15,119
Quote:
I don't really listen to pop music in general, though I'm not going ro outright say I hate it. However, there's always some super poppy sounding things that I love, especially when they are to the point of either being excessive or subversive.

I don't really care for the first one but the second one...

There are not enough drugs in the world to justify that girl's music videos.  I love it!  I have no idea why!

Jan 22, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #86 of 15,119
Oh no.... I just came from a listening session with my EX600 being run through Marilyn. My audio in jack is starting to cut out causing channel imbalance in my IEM's. I hope its fixable I don't want to lose Marilyn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back