The diary entries of a little girl nearing 30!
Feb 25, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #1,772 of 15,119

Quote:
Honestly, the preliminary impressions of the HD700 are so scattered and disparaging it's ridiculous. We've got some people claiming it's darker than the HD800, while others are claiming it's definitely brighter. Some say they prefer it to the HD800, while others say it's clearly inferior.

Oy. This hobby sometimes...

Remember ,our ears are not built with the same sensitivity.

Feb 25, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #1,773 of 15,119

Quote:
I half wonder whether the preproduction samples have poor quality control, and I half wonder whether reviewers are simply trying to get on the hype bandwagon by rushing their first impressions to press after hasty meetup-quality listening sessions.

I don't care if it's not Sennheiser's top of the line; it's a thousand dollar headphone and merits more considered criticism than this.

+1, took the words...

Feb 25, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #1,774 of 15,119
Quote:
How trustworthy should reviews be, especially on this site, when the product is given for free? I am saying especially on this site, since this is where we are.. Not that I suspect more shady reviews going on here than other places.

Some people are actually writing "I got this product for free, thank you XXX, so have that in mind". Does this kind of transparency mean that the following paragraphs about how wonderful the product is, are truthful? Should we disregard product reviews about good product on the basis that a review sample was given for free or with heavy discount? 

I've done two of those so far.  One got a so-so review and one got a great review.

IMO pretty much everything anyone ever says has some degree of bias to it.  The best thing to do is try and figure out what it is and where it come from so you can compensate for it.

EDIT:  Then again I'm apparently a Death Eater so you obviously can't trust anything I say...

Feb 25, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #1,775 of 15,119

Quote:

In this case, I'm thinking it's more likely a matter of different source material, synergy with different gear, or maybe pre / post production variation. I mean, I understand that we all hear things differently, but it seems to me like determining whether headphone X is darker or brighter than headphone Y should be pretty straight forward and not so much a matter of subjective opinion. Hell, if we can't even agree on things like that, then this business of critically discussing sound is absolutely hopeless.

Feb 25, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #1,776 of 15,119

Quote:
In this case, I'm thinking it's more likely a matter of different source material, synergy with different gear, or maybe pre / post production variation. I mean, I understand that we all hear things differently, but it seems to me like determining whether headphone X is darker or brighter than headphone Y should be pretty straight forward and not so much a matter of subjective opinion. Hell, if we can't even agree on things like that, then this business of critically discussing sound is absolutely hopeless.

Yes, you have a point, but I want to wait and see a real review of the final product. He even mentions in his review that it is a pre-production model. 

Feb 25, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #1,777 of 15,119
The Headfonia review is honestly laughable in its hyperbole. Some choice quotes:

"the sound coming out of it is clearer than the HD800, the Beyerdynamic T1, the LCD-2, or the Stax O2"

"I was blown away. Simply brilliant and mind-blowing. It was had a crisp electrostatic-like transients, but without the typical weaknesses of an electrostatic driver"

"I was awestruck. The design team, which is apparently a different team from the HD800, has pulled off something brilliant. Out of this world. Genius" 

"I wish my HD800 sounded like the HD700. I really do"

"It was revolutionary and I’ve never heard anything like this being done with a dynamic driver"

Oh, but the article then goes on to say...

"The HD700 is in no way going to replace the HD800 as the flagship model"

So we have hyperbole AND contradictory sentiments...

Feb 25, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #1,779 of 15,119
Quote:
The Headfonia review is honestly laughable in its hyperbole. Some choice quotes:

Like 6moons, he needs to just repurpose his site into an audio equipment photoblog...

Feb 25, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #1,780 of 15,119
Quote:

On the whole, we will probably hear in different ways, and probably be more sensitive to different ranges of frequency. To this extent, we will probably disagree over whether a headphone, considered purely on its own merits, is bass-heavy or light.

However, if we were to compare two headphones, we would probably be in agreement as to which of the two has more bass, unless the measurable difference is subtle.

This is the problem being posed by the HD 700 previews so far: Various claims that it's either brighter or darker than, say, the HD 800. This is possible, if there are variations in the models being circulated, or if the headphones each react in profoundly different ways to variations in components upstream. Neither seem as likely as a horde of reviewers trying to rush their first impressions out before everybody else.

Feb 25, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #1,781 of 15,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickronin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:
MuppetFace said:

The Headfonia review is honestly laughable in its hyperbole.

Like 6moons, he needs to just repurpose his site into an audio equipment photoblog...

From memory, I don't recall Mike usually being this bad about not curbing his own enthusiasm...

Feb 25, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #1,785 of 15,119

Quote:
Peeved from the UPS debacle in my Heir shipment. Eating leftovers at 4 in the morning. Brushing up on the enigmatic HD700.

Yeah , so any update about the Heir?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back