The diary entries of a little girl nearing 30!
Feb 25, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #1,803 of 15,119
Man this SR-007 thing is putting me off buying anything used again. In person or new from a store from here on.

Feb 25, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #1,804 of 15,119
I'm sorry to say this, but I find your post rather arrogant.

Why do I say this? I am at times rather arrogant myself and, as is very often the case, we recognise in others what we know deep down we have in ourselves, although we often deny and/or ignore it.

I'm sorry to say this, but I find your post rather pointless. Go troll someone else's thread. Thanks.

Feb 25, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #1,805 of 15,119

Quote:
Oh, I understand where he's coming from... I think. Really I have no problem with his writing love letters to the HD700 and singing songs outside its bedroom window at 2 in the morning.

I don't know that I have a problem with the hyperbole or even misstatements as much as the use of his reviewer's venue to write a non-review which reads a great deal like an actual review.

If that makes sense. As you say, writing love letters. The context ought to be more clearly established that these are sketches, first impressions, might not hold up under scrutiny, please don't commit a grand of your hard-earned money until I've thought things over and formed some opinions I can stand by a year from now...

Quote:

Nobody has a strong grievance with him for effectively liveblogging his impressions of listening to the HD 700; I've snarked about it earlier, but I don't object to what he's doing, as much as how he's doing it. The problem, as discussed above, is that the site could have done a better job of presenting this as such, and distinguishing it from a formal review, especially if a formal review is in the works.

Feb 25, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #1,806 of 15,119
Quote:
Man this SR-007 thing is putting me off buying anything used again. In person or new from a store from here on.

That's going to rule out the MKI and based on the numbers I wouldn't want to drop 2.6K on the MK2.5...

Feb 25, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #1,807 of 15,119
That's going to rule out the MKI and based on the numbers I wouldn't want to drop 2.6K on the MK2.5...

Well the seller has refused return so I'm talking with the administrators here and my parents and ultimately a lawyer if need be. I have a clear case where he has stated nothing needs replacing and didn't take pictures of parts that were damaged (and claimed fine). This is going to cost him a lot of money if he persists. Or he could take the headphones back, enjoy them, and be no worse off than he was a few weeks ago. Really he has nothing to lose by allowing a return. If they as good as he claims he can sell them to someone else. His refusal to return is very telling of his motives.

Feb 25, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #1,808 of 15,119

Quote:

Why do I say this? I am at times rather arrogant myself and, as is very often the case, we recognise in others what we know deep down we have in ourselves, although we often deny and/or ignore it.

Believe me, I know I can be arrogant at times. I've posted lots of snarky things on these forums. However I try to direct those sorts of comments to a positive end. That is, I try to give my snark a constructive purpose. In this case it's contributing toward an open discussion. I get a bit uncomfortable when I see people posting about their pre-ordering due to impressions that seem, frankly, unrealistic. Obviously I can't confirm this as I don't have the HD700 in front of me. But given the handful of other impressions I've read from others concerning the HD700, and given what I know about the headphones Mike is comparing it to, it strikes me as a bit off.

One of my biggest fears is inappropriately recommending something to someone. I get so many PMs from people asking me to recommend them stuff, and frankly it terrifies me. Especially when we're talking about products that cost upwards of $1000 USD or more. I think reviewers need to adhere to a certain code of conduct, post with a certain sense of responsibility. Hyperbole is fine. But I personally think it's being used a bit irresponsibly here, given that we're talking about a popular product for which people are gobbling up any impressions they can find in an attempt to discern whether or not they should pre-order it.

What can I say? Seeing the response to Mike's article touched a nerve with me. I suppose my criticism of someone else's writing is arrogant, but this is my diary thread after all, so if I'm going to ventilate and come across as holier-than-thou as a result, it may as well be here. No one is forced to bother with this thread if he/she finds that overly indulgent.

Feb 25, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #1,809 of 15,119
Quote:
Well the seller has refused return so I'm talking with the administrators here and my parents and ultimately a lawyer if need be. I have a clear case where he has stated nothing needs replacing and didn't take pictures of parts that were damaged (and claimed fine). This is going to cost him a lot of money if he persists. Or he could take the headphones back, enjoy them, and be no worse off than he was a few weeks ago. Really he has nothing to lose by allowing a return. If they as good as he claims he can sell them to someone else. His refusal to return is very telling of his motives.

That sucks.  I hope you get that worked out.

My point was just that some really good stuff is only available second hand.

Feb 25, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #1,810 of 15,119
Man, I always find myself gravitated toward hangout threads like this. 

Mind if I ask for some advice here?  While I'm mostly content with the gear I've got now, I'm really curious as to what I'm missing out on in the realm of soundstaging.  Muppet, as someone who owns the HD800's along with a million other quality cans, is their soundstaging really as above and beyond everything else as some have said?  Would anyone else in this thread have a strong opinion on this?

Feb 25, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #1,811 of 15,119
Quote:
One of my biggest fears is inappropriately recommending something to someone. I get so many PMs from people asking me to recommend them stuff, and frankly it terrifies me. Especially when we're talking about products that cost upwards of $1000 USD or more. I think reviewers need to adhere to a certain code of conduct, post with a certain sense of responsibility. Hyperbole is fine. But I personally think it's being used a bit irresponsibly here, given that we're talking about a popular product for which people are gobbling up any impressions they can find in an attempt to discern whether or not they should pre-order it.

Agreed.

Feb 25, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #1,812 of 15,119

Quote:

I feel bad for you. I hope he'll accept a return in the end. 

Feb 25, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #1,813 of 15,119
Just to add to Sylverants agreement:

Quote:
I think reviewers need to adhere to a certain code of conduct, post with a certain sense of responsibility. Hyperbole is fine. But I personally think it's being used a bit irresponsibly here, given that we're talking about a popular product for which people are gobbling up any impressions they can find in an attempt to discern whether or not they should pre-order it.

This is what I tried to touch upon a bit earlier as well. I think it goes without saying, but someone with a big blog/website for reviewing headphones should try to choose their words very carefully and with more responsibility. Not everyone will be able to distinguish the positive reactions during the "honeymoon phase" with a headphone, from paragraphs written with more responsibility behind it. Some will take things literally, and not figuratively, and without knowing the complete sentiments about said headphone, they will start placing orders. This seems to me as a recurring phenomenon on head-fi though.. One person says that a certain headphone or IEM is clearly better than some other headphone, without mentioning why or what's so great about it or even that it's their subjective opinion after owning it for 5 hours - and the hype is born and a new 'cult' is created.

Feb 25, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #1,814 of 15,119
Posted some more long winded, rambling impressions of the SRH1840 as compared to the HD800:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/583950/shure-srh1840-and-srh1440-unveiled/1110#post_8177695

I think some of my sentiments are a bit incoherent at times, but the SRH1840 is still throwing me for a loop in certain respects. I find it to be a rather enigmatic headphone!

Feb 25, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #1,815 of 15,119

Quote:
Man, I always find myself gravitated toward hangout threads like this. 

Mind if I ask for some advice here?  While I'm mostly content with the gear I've got now, I'm really curious as to what I'm missing out on in the realm of soundstaging.  Muppet, as someone who owns the HD800's along with a million other quality cans, is their soundstaging really as above and beyond everything else as some have said?  Would anyone else in this thread have a strong opinion on this?

The HD800 has a huge soundstage, yeah. I actually touched on the problem this creates for me at times in the SRH1840 impressions I just posted. It can cause certain compositions to seem disjointed. The Qualia exhibits this effect more, though. It doesn't have a soundstage quite as expansive, but it has more air between notes.

I find the Stax Lambdas to have a really pleasing, open sort of presentation. It's more cohesive too. However the shortcoming there is that it lacks weight. On the other hand, it gives music a vaporous quality that is pleasing in its own right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back