The diary entries of a little girl nearing 30!
Feb 25, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #1,831 of 15,119
Quote:
Funny, I was thinking of the same thing when I read that word.

I'd bet that's where most people who didn't have to look "simulacrum" up in the dictionary learned it from.  I rarely see it anywhere else beside fantasy RPGs and serious philosophy...

Feb 25, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #1,832 of 15,119
@silence

Do you have any other method to resolve this as I paid by check and it has cleared my bank?

Feb 25, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #1,833 of 15,119

Quote:
He tends to be very confrontational, without invitation usually. Serious people can be trolls, too.

I've noticed he ends up retracting a lot of his posts, which suggests he doesn't put in enough forethought.

Music, if you're reading this, every time I see a "." post I assume it was originally made in poor taste and I wouldn't be surprised if others felt that way too.  Maybe you should take a break?

Feb 25, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #1,834 of 15,119
I'd bet that's where most people who didn't have to look "simulacrum" up in the dictionary learned it from.  I rarely see it anywhere else beside fantasy RPGs and serious philosophy...

Haha guess where muppetface got it from *gesticulate at the video game aficionado*
I first heard that in a book, and later on in ^

Feb 25, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #1,836 of 15,119
I've noticed he ends up retracting a lot of his posts, which suggests he doesn't put in enough forethought.

Music, if you're reading this, every time I see a "." post I assume it was originally made in poor taste and I wouldn't be surprised if others felt that way too.  Maybe you should take a break?

It's because he's careful not to offend. He's honestly not a bad guy. Well w.e I feel like I'm defending him haha. I'll let him speak for himself.

Feb 25, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #1,837 of 15,119

Quote:
I don't find the lambdas to lack weight or impact as most people believe. There's this sort of misconception or preconception for most people going into stats- that because of their open nature, they can't output the dynamics as a whole. Honestly, I found that Stax have more than enough slam and extension, it sort of grows on you as you listen longer. It's also worth mentioning that power source is important, I found that bass impact and soundstage was diminised with certain poor quality conditioners.

I find it's most useful to speak in a relative sense when discussing differing types of technology, and to my ears I find electrostatic transducers generally lack the sense of presence or "body" that orthodynamics and certain electrodynamics are able to convey. Every technology has shortcomings, and in my opinion that's the primary one of many 'stats. Do they have slam? Sure. I think the Omega II has plenty of slam. It has weight. For me though it's a question of degree. There's simply a lack of "there-ness" for me when listening to even the best 'stats like the SR-009. In most other regards--- tonal accuracy, imaging, separation, detail extraction--- I find 'stats to have an upper hand. The most "impactful" I've tried have been the HE60 and ESP 950, and to a slightly lesser extent the HeAudio Jade. I consider the relatively vaporous presentation even amongst 'stats of Lambdas and Sigmas a plus and one of their unique qualities.

It's all in the ear of the listener. I know some head-fiers, people I trust and respect, who feel orthos simply have a certain thickness or coloration that is artificial, and this is what contributes to their sense of weight. I can see where they're coming from, but I don't really agree.

Feb 25, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #1,838 of 15,119
Quote:
Haha guess where muppetface got it from *gesticulate at the video game aficionado*
I first heard that in a book, and later on in ^

She's also quite knowledgeable on the topic of ancient Greek and Roman philosophy too...

Feb 25, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #1,839 of 15,119
@silence
Do you have any other method to resolve this as I paid by check and it has cleared my bank?

Let me read into the details of what transpired. I am shocked at the audacity of some people though. Doesn't matter, you'll have him one way or another I'm sure.

Feb 25, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #1,840 of 15,119
This is the second time in the last 6-8 months you've called me a troll. The first time I said nothing. This time I'll say two things:

1.  Since you think Mike's English "grammar is not his strongest suit" --even after you probably soon learned he is, in fact, from Indonesia--, perhaps you should consider teaching him some proper English grammar. I wonder how you would do learning his mother tongue. I have to say I was a little surprised no-one, but me, commented on your post, but I guess since you are a HF contributor, been a HF member for 9 years, are into 'serious' full-sized-phones, and right now some people here don't seem to appreciate Mike's latest review/blog, then it's alright for you to get away with your witty post.

2.  No comment on your response to my response to MF's post

Why should I teach him grammar? He is voluntarily posting his blog (calling it what it is) in English. I'm not forcing him to use a language he's not familiar with. And no, I didn't know it wasn't his native language until afterwards.

My status, or rather lack thereof, has no bearing on what I post. I post what I want when I want.

Go away.

Feb 25, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #1,841 of 15,119

Quote:
It points out the hypocrisy and completely irrevent nature of your post. I have nothing against music nor maxvala. Both are respectable headfi'ers. However, I do have a problem when you comment "Ahahaha like a boss" in all caps. This is an intelligent discussion I believe?

its a free country cant i voice my opinion on a fun blog without Sil3nce being a kill joy?

Feb 25, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #1,843 of 15,119

Quote:
It really wasn't all that tasteful, honestly.

im a bit vulgar but its me being me :p i dont like being told off 
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 25, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #1,844 of 15,119
Quote:
Hmm. Mike said why he felt that the HD800 was still better in specific technical areas though; claiming that it wasn't as large in sound stage size and didn't layer as well.

I can't help but wonder what "layering" actually means in this case, or sounds like  from headphone to headphone. I see that everyone is applying there own meanings to them but it doesn't explain much. Mike even has a glossary explaining what these terms generally mean on his website if I remember. His article only serves to point out how difficult it is to write a headphone review properly...actually, what is a "proper" headphone review?

Layering is not a word I'm comfortable with seeing used as standardized vocabulary. I've always inferred it meant layers of depth, but I don't know whether that's what the author meant; they might mean how joint/disjoint instruments are from each other in the performance space, for example.

For that matter, I feel kind of ambivalent about discussions of soundstage, since headphones don't really do that (sometimes I see the word "headstage", which makes more sense to me). Soundstaging on speakers in a room, when well set-up, present the illusion of an actual stage, with instruments, in front or around you. Sound/headstaging on headphones, at best, create a different kind of spacial illusion. Not necessarily better or worse, but it's nothing like speaker soundstaging.

Quote:
Man, I always find myself gravitated toward hangout threads like this. 

Mind if I ask for some advice here?  While I'm mostly content with the gear I've got now, I'm really curious as to what I'm missing out on in the realm of soundstaging.  Muppet, as someone who owns the HD800's along with a million other quality cans, is their soundstaging really as above and beyond everything else as some have said?  Would anyone else in this thread have a strong opinion on this?

The HD 800 is a champ, to be sure. As much as I love orthos, I've never found them to be all that great in recreating space, especially when put up against the HD 800. You might do better with electrostats, but as discussed, you trade off certain qualities of sound that might be important to you. There's a certain investment required in the rest of the sound chain, since electrostats (and piezos and electrets) require dedicated amps (or transformer boxes) while dynamic/ortho/etc. headphones can run off any conventional amplifier with greater or lesser success.

I've never been able to have a good, sustained listening session with stats, though, so I can't be of much use regarding them.

Quote:
The HD800 has a huge soundstage, yeah. I actually touched on the problem this creates for me at times in the SRH1840 impressions I just posted. It can cause certain compositions to seem disjointed. The Qualia exhibits this effect more, though. It doesn't have a soundstage quite as expansive, but it has more air between notes.

I find the Stax Lambdas to have a really pleasing, open sort of presentation. It's more cohesive too. However the shortcoming there is that it lacks weight. On the other hand, it gives music a vaporous quality that is pleasing in its own right.

I've sometimes wondered to what extent the Stax house sound is predicated on the assumption that the buyer will be listening primarily to small ensemble acoustic music: chamber music, jazz trio, lieder, folk singing, etc.

Feb 25, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #1,845 of 15,119
I find it's most useful to speak in a relative sense when discussing differing types of technology, and to my ears I find electrostatic transducers generally lack the sense of presence or "body" that orthodynamics and certain electrodynamics are able to convey. Every technology has shortcomings, and in my opinion that's the primary one of many 'stats. Do they have slam? Sure. I think the Omega II has plenty of slam. It has weight. For me though it's a question of degree. There's simply a lack of "there-ness" for me when listening to even the best 'stats like the SR-009. In most other regards--- tonal accuracy, imaging, separation, detail extraction--- I find 'stats to have an upper hand. The most "impactful" I've tried have been the HE60 and ESP 950, and to a slightly lesser extent the HeAudio Jade. I consider the relatively vaporous presentation even amongst 'stats of Lambdas and Sigmas a plus and one of their unique qualities.

It's all in the ear of the listener. I know some head-fiers, people I trust and respect, who feel orthos simply have a certain thickness or coloration that is artificial, and this is what contributes to their sense of weight. I can see where they're coming from, but I don't really agree.

Yes, I have an inkling who those headfi'ers are too :wink:
Well in a sense, you are correct in keeping a clear mind on weaknesses/strengths of different "technology" albeit it's not as significant of a difference between electrostatic transducers and ortho/electrodynamic than say loudspeakers and in-ear monitors. However, I do believe a high-end electrostatic system can achieve the purported holistic "presence" of a dynamic setup. If you think about it, technology hasn't changed much. To the normal listener, running a binary file out of an ipod earphone is still going to create an illusion of imaging and soundstage. That's a tangible effect, not much more can be said for audiophile products, often times my friends have been less than enthused by my cans. So it's down to preference and perception once again. The right questions to ask are what is the right amount of "weight" and "body" that is sonically accurate to a degree, and which one do I prefer more, the more neutral or the more colored?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back