The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Mar 23, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #8,778 of 21,763
Quote:
Silent, that's a nice looking amp. Does the funky rectifier tube sound different from regular rectifier tubes? I guess Glenn builds to custom specs?

Thanks kindly. Not sure what you meant by "Regular." My guess would be more so, though other rectifiers can influence the sound in combination of the drive tubes as well. 

This particular rectifier is a powerful full-wave rectifier - high-frequency, high altitude (60,000ft). Tubes where you do note see the anode wires terminating at the top are usually routed internally. Having them on the outside helps keep very high voltages away from the lower voltages inside the tube, as explained to me.

Glenn (2359glenn) builds to custom specs. On a side note, the amp shown was designed around a 3DG4 rectifier; I happen to love the USAF-596, though the 3DG4 sounds good.

Mar 23, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #8,779 of 21,763
Hey Jgray, is your new avatar that cute-but-actually-evil thing from Madoka? It's so cute.

I think after handing in this proposal I will buy Lollipop Chainsaw.

Mar 23, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #8,782 of 21,763
Quote:

There is something aesthetically pleasing about having wood in one's life. Especially a fine crafted musical instrument.

it's good stuff  to look at indeed, but another thing for its sound. I'm content w/ the current one I have, but if I got one of the higher priced ones, I'd sell it and go for a lower priced one and spend the cash on other things .

Mar 23, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #8,783 of 21,763
Quote:
Quote:

There is something aesthetically pleasing about having wood in one's life. Especially a fine crafted musical instrument.

it's good stuff  to look at indeed, but another thing for its sound. I'm content w/ the current one I have, but if I got one of the higher priced ones, I'd sell it and go for a lower priced one and spend the cash on other things .

You mean 
blink.gif
 greed is alive with instruments as well? 
biggrin.gif

Mar 23, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #8,784 of 21,763
I've never listened to a 596 rectifier tube before, only plain-vanilla AR4 rectifiers. The extra wires give it a funky look.

A_rec, that's "Kyubey". Yep, he's evil alright.

First reviews of Bioshock Infinite have hit: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/22/bioshock-infinite-xbox-360ps3-review
Awesome looking, so far.

Mar 23, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #8,786 of 21,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:
If I had skill, time and confidence, I would build a tube amp. I think I would get a lot of satisfaction from seeing something I built light-up and sound good.

I have the same thoughts; leaning this way toward the future. It will be very satisfying...

Hmm, if you guys want something cheap and easy to practice on, maybe the Oatley K272A would suffice?  It's only like $30 plus shipping for the parts.  Here's a thread on a build... http://www.head-fi.org/t/522639/oatley-k272a-build

Quote:
lolipop chainsaw? a chainsaw made of lolipops? what has the world come to. 

Seems okay to me...
smile.gif

BTW, met Jessica Nigri at E3 last year where she was doing her Lollipop Chainsaw thing.  I gotta say, very impressive.  One of the - if not the - most accurate cosplay portrayals I have ever seen

Mar 23, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #8,787 of 21,763
Quote:

Hmm, if you guys want something cheap and easy to practice on, maybe the Oatley K272A would suffice?  It's only like $30 plus shipping for the parts.  Here's a thread on a build... http://www.head-fi.org/t/522639/oatley-k272a-build

Seems okay to me...
smile.gif

BTW, met Jessica Nigri at E3 last year where she was doing her Lollipop Chainsaw thing.  I gotta say, very impressive.  One of the - if not the - most accurate cosplay portrayals I have ever seen

some horror game or something?

Mar 23, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #8,788 of 21,763
Quote:
I've never listened to a 596 rectifier tube before, only plain-vanilla AR4 rectifiers. The extra wires give it a funky look.

A_rec, that's "Kyubey". Yep, he's evil alright.

First reviews of Bioshock Infinite have hit: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/22/bioshock-infinite-xbox-360ps3-review
Awesome looking, so far.

The Mighty 596 is very rare. There's Military surpluses forgotten about somewhere (U.S. Air Force/ Joint Army Navy). And boxes do turn up now and then. When you've the chance, you should just get one...whether you can play it 
tongue_smile.gif
or not. It will only go up in price...

Mar 23, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #8,789 of 21,763
Mar 23, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #8,790 of 21,763
Quote:
some horror game or something?

TBH, I actually don't know.  I never got past the cheerleading outfit, and the game was competing for my attention with a lot of other titles, so I never looked very deeply into it.

Quote:
Quote:

Dat's what I'm talkin' 'bout - money left over for Pizza!

Yeah, I gotta say that I'm pretty intrigued as well, especially since it has portable potential! 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back