The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Mar 20, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #8,536 of 21,763
I prefer selecting music that changes my mood, but maybe I'm odd.

Mar 20, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #8,538 of 21,763
Quote:

Nope, I wouldn't say that makes you odd at all. Music has a very powerful effect on one's mood, in my experience....all it takes is a workplace where different people get the chance to play what they want to hear (and everyone else is subjected to their choice) to see that.

Mar 20, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #8,539 of 21,763
Quote:
Quote:

Nope, I wouldn't say that makes you odd at all. Music has a very powerful effect on one's mood, in my experience....all it takes is a workplace where different people get the chance to play what they want to hear (and everyone else is subjected to their choice) to see that.

I concur.  As much as I enjoy and appreciate all music for what it is, and while I often enjoy being surprised by new things (even if the surprise takes the form of disgust), I often use music as a tool to help me achieve specific goals.  Sometimes it's an emotional state (Soundtracks), sometimes it's recalling nostalgia (Slow Jams), and sometimes its just getting Schiit done (Trance).  I obviously can't say whether utilizing music is right or wrong.  But FWIW, I do it quite often as well.

Mar 20, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #8,540 of 21,763
Quote:

I concur.  As much as I enjoy and appreciate all music for what it is, and while I often enjoy being surprised by new things (even if the surprise takes the form of disgust), I often use music as a tool to help me achieve specific goals.  Sometimes it's an emotional state (Soundtracks), sometimes it's recalling nostalgia (Slow Jams), and sometimes its just getting Schiit done (Trance).  I obviously can't say whether utilizing music is right or wrong.  But FWIW, I do it quite often as well.

Yes! The energy is infectious, especially if you're tired or lacking motivation (or both).

And as far as whether it is right or wrong to utilize it, I look at it this way....it's a lot healthier than all the various substances I used to partake of in the old days...lol.

Mar 20, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #8,541 of 21,763
Quote:

Quote:

Ideally you could configure the playlists for the response, so you could set it to play either good-night music or driving dance numbers when it registers that you're sleepy.

Looks like this thing is made by Neurowear. A little more practical (and less otaku-oriented) than the mind-controlled cat ears, but a little limited, yet.

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #8,542 of 21,763
I remember for the longest time people were insisting (and some still do) that the K701 is neutral / uncolored / whatever.

There is no truly neutral gear, but the K701 isn't even close.

I think I've run across some of those people and their humorous posts. Off the top of your head you wouldn't remember any gear that was known to synergize well with the Q can? I remember there was this one guy who had a K who used to comment about good mobile amp pairings. Can't seem to find his posts I was hoping maybe you remembered his handle cause I sure don't

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #8,543 of 21,763
I thought the K702 worked really well with the TU-882R and stock tubes. With GE tubes, not so much. On pretty nearly every other amp, the K702 didn't do as much for me.

I have a gut feeling it'd probably work well with the MAC4100, but I sold the phones on the same day I bought the receiver so I'll probably never know for sure. I want to sell the TU-882R, too -- it's a good amp, especially for the price and its synergy with the K702, but I didn't want headphones that only work on one amp and I don't want an amp that only justifies its existence for one model of headphone.

Mar 20, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #8,545 of 21,763
I'll delight in the occasional surprise with music. But, I often enjoy setting the mood, pace and direction with music. Has sort of a ceremonial feel to it. 

Mar 20, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #8,547 of 21,763
Quote:
Quote:

Yes! The energy is infectious, especially if you're tired or lacking motivation (or both).

And as far as whether it is right or wrong to utilize it, I look at it this way....it's a lot healthier than all the various substances I used to partake of in the old days...lol.

I would figure the same goes for you, but there are times when I've got plenty of energy and still throw on some Trance.  The monotony of the rhythm actually provides me with a good and fast pace at which to do things... particularly repetitive tasks.

Quote:
I'll delight in the occasional surprise with music. But, I often enjoy setting the mood, pace and direction with music. Has sort of a ceremonial feel to it. 

LOL, Silent MC. 
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Sweet irony

LOL, what was it advertising?  A special kind of wallet?

Quote:
The Q701 is an easier load compared to the K701; tonally there's a bit more bass emphasis. As a result I actually think the Q701 sounds fine straight from a lot of DAPs w/o an additional external amplifier.

Hmm... I don't remember if I ever tried that.  I think I just went into the Q701 with the expectation that it'd be harder to drive.  So as a result, I just amped it from day one.  I'll give that a shot later and see what happens.  Right now, I'm spazzing on a pair of modded T50RP.

Mar 20, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #8,549 of 21,763
Boy, Michelle Shocked really stepped in it: http://movies.yahoo.com/news/michelle-shocked-addresses-anti-gay-comments-twitter-recording-210218386.html
She's the last person I would have expected this from.

I didn't know who Michelle Shocked was before this incident started making news, but once again someone has demonstrated that very public forums (and almost every forum is hyper public now) are not conducive to advancing nuanced (or not so nuanced) views.

I don't think the discussion can go very far on this thread (no politics!) but for the record I'm gay, I support gay marriage rights, but I don't feel like it's in good spirit to compel religious institutions to perform marriage ceremonies against their beliefs. I also don't really understand that aspect of the debate: why would anyone would want to hold their marriage ceremony at a venue that would begrudge them?

Mar 20, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #8,550 of 21,763
FedEx arrived and I have the Weiss MAN301, gonna hook it up and see what's what. I'm really curious about the interface. And no, it doesn't come with its own iPad, sad to say, but I do have a Mini that will do well as a controller.

The dCS Vivaldi won't arrive until first week of April, but that should give me enough time to get acquainted with the Weiss (my wife and I will be in NZ for a week, but we'll be back by then).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back