The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Mar 12, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #7,951 of 21,763
Quote:
I think the TH600 is shaping up to be ideal office headphone for me. Like the TH900 it blocks some outside noise, but overall it's not particularly isolating and thus allows me to still hear important stuff. The arc assembly isn't the most robust thing in the world, but the magnesium cups (perhaps erroneously) instill a certain sense of confidence as well.

Sonically it comes pretty close to the TH900 in key respects. So far I'm finding it to be just a bit more polite, a bit more subtle. As I said in my initial impressions, it's almost as if Fostex did this to keep the overall presentation open and clear-sounding since the bass and treble aren't quite as refined as those of the TH900. Spatially the TH600 is slightly more closed sounding, and with regard to imaging it's not quite as easy to zero-in on everything, but separation is still excellent. Presentation on these is overall above average.

The more I listen to the TH600, the more I feel as though it's not a "TH900 lite" so much as something which follows that trajectory but has its own distinct patterns.

I think i'm beginning to zero in on my potential high end headphone. Romy, if you one day ever write a book concerning audiophilia and what to look for as a music lover you'd make a million
Much respect out your way madam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6

Well, I've finally found a flaw with my HD600.

Classical music. 

My collection has grown over the last few months, and it was portrayed beautifully by my DT880. The HD600 seems so much less dynamic and open when I need it the most. The DT880's treble took the experience to another level.

Sigh.

Cheer up my friend, I've yet to ever hear gear that can do it all. If that was possible this would be one boring hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magick Man

I really can't decide which is the better FS headphone for <$1200 (there the HE-6 reigns supreme), the TH600 or the ESP-950. They're very different animals but brilliant in their own way. I guess, if you don't mind the extra weight, and limited versatility, the nod would go Koss. But, the Fostex are so easy to drive (sound great out of my iPhone), more attractive, and easier to live with. If you shop around, you can find them both for $1500, which is still a roll of cash, but you'd have just about all your bases covered. They'd be an epic combo and you wouldn't need anything else (except maybe some inexpensive Grados for Dick Dale and 80s/90s arena and glam rock).

Ratt on my modded SR60i is a guilty pleasure.
redface.gif
(Round and round, what comes around, goes around.)

You and Romy are really making it hard for me not to give the TH600 a bit more closer scrutiny. By the way, if I ever happen to be driving through your state I'm whipping by your place and taking you to a Motley Crue concert. I'll buy the tickets you provide the 80's styled mullet wigs
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording /img/forum/go_quote.gif

OH MAN OH MAN.

If all goes well I will get some HD650's and Q701's for $150 each...

SO EXCITED

Whats with you guys and all these super cheap deals on Sennheisers? Every time I do a search for a Sennheiser the prices are always up there. You guys have a crystal ball or something.

In other news, I think i owe the thread an apology for all the ranting I've been doing involving my 4A's. Sorry about that guys it's been a long wait for me. Tomorrow morning I finally pick them up and if all goes well I won't be acting like such a dunce on the diary thread. Again my apologies for sounding like such a spoiled crotchety old head-fier.

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #7,952 of 21,763
Mar 13, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #7,953 of 21,763
Quote:
I think i'm beginning to zero in on my potential high end headphone. Romy, if you one day ever write a book concerning audiophilia and what to look for as a music lover you'd make a million
Much respect out your way madam.

Make that a billion, if she uses silver ink for better readability. 
wink.gif

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #7,955 of 21,763
Guys these new soundtracks I received yesterday are really an entertaining listen. The Hobbit OST is generally pretty good but the Avatar and Inception OST's are an especially really good listen. Both the songs Becoming One Of "The People" / Becoming One With Neytiri and Mombasa are an incredible listen

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #7,956 of 21,763
Mar 13, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #7,957 of 21,763
Quote:

I just bookmarked this in the hope that it will be released in FLAC later like his other releases. This is a really cool album. Probably my favorite Jay-Z album, even.

I'm trying to work out if this guy actually got permission to do this lol. It's CC Licensed!

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #7,958 of 21,763
Quote:

I'm trying to work out if this guy actually got permission to do this lol. It's CC Licensed!

Probably not. I hope that he doesn't get hit with a nasty lawsuit, because this truly is an amazing thing he figured out. I'd love it if other hip-hop artists considered remixes like this.

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #7,959 of 21,763
There was an mashup album I really liked, called "2.0" by Audiobytes for Autobots, that did all kinds of weird mashups. I don't know where to get it now but it had lots of great video game references.

Mar 13, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #7,960 of 21,763
Quote:

Sound good and look good (IMO).
I've always wondered why people always categorized these as just a "bright" version of the HD600/650. They lack a bit of bass impact and warmth, but to my ears they sound very good, linear and non-intrusive! In fact, I posted yesterday on some guy's thread because he thought his 598s were fakes because they had bass presence! LOL (I guess that's what happens when everyone keeps repeating that the 598s are bright/cold headphones... oh well.). HD600/HD598 definitely best combo for new people looking for open-back headphones that perform well at an affordable price.

Eh? Bright and Cold? No bass? Some people confuse me. They've obviously not heard the HD700 or 800.

Quote:
HD598 bright? What the hell are they smoking, pass me some! That's insane. Even the brief time I've heard my friends' pairs suggest that they are not bright at all, more like that motherly warm embrace.

I don't know about motherly warmth, but to me it's more like hot cocoa during a cold winter night.

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:31 AM Post #7,963 of 21,763
Quote:
Maybe my ears are changing shape?

Certainly possible, you're still a strapping young lad.

Also, as you're the resident Sony expert around here, have you ever given the ear hoops on the Sony XBA-S65 a try?  The way that thing tightens looks decpetively simple bordering on ingenious.  Surely there must be a drawback to it right?  Like maybe it doesn't work or something...

Quote:
Quote:
EDIT:  BTW a_rec, you've lost more gear than any man I've ever known.

Yeah... I tend to be a bit careless. Actually, its more often the gear breaks. I've been better with my gear recently, and it helps that I've been trying to buy stuff with better build quality. It's always some unforseen disaster that kills them.

Edit: Do you think a brand new PFE 232 for $400 is worth it?

I've had the extremely good fortune of not having anything break on me yet, knock on MDF.  Lemme know the next time something dies, I'll observe a moment of silence for you.

Sorry on the PFE, I have no idea of the relative pricing on those. 
frown.gif

Quote:
I don't think I would take it outside much. For me it would sort of me a collectors acquisition like the EX1000 :3

Oh.... so that's why!  LOL, I was wondering why you didn't use the EX600 as back-up IEMs to your EX1000.  So that's why.  Their cloistered away like Manchu emperors, never to see the light of the world.

Quote:
In other news, I think i owe the thread an apology for all the ranting I've been doing involving my 4A's. Sorry about that guys it's been a long wait for me. Tomorrow morning I finally pick them up and if all goes well I won't be acting like such a dunce on the diary thread. Again my apologies for sounding like such a spoiled crotchety old head-fier.

No worries... but let's make sure they fit before we breathe a collective sigh of relief. 
smile.gif

Quote:
What's up with all the sinkhole accidents as of late?

Sorry, my bad. 
redface.gif

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #7,964 of 21,763
Quote:
What's up with all the sinkhole accidents as of late?

Mankind's inevitable destruction of the earth is accelerating, maybe? Maybe it's time to build an ark...... 

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #7,965 of 21,763

Users who are viewing this thread

Back