The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Mar 12, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #7,892 of 21,763
For those of you who remember The Abyss, well, here's the latest updated info:

http://www.abyss-headphones.com/abyss_ab_1266.shtml

They're calling it "Model AB-1266." For those of you who may have forgotten, the most distinguishing characteristic of these has to be the price which is 5k USD if you recall. They had another public demonstration, and two things stood out from reports:

First, they are ridiculously difficult to get a good fit with for some folks. If you look at the picture, you'll note both vertical and horizontal adjustment. Which seems like a good idea, and with headphones that beam a lot like the H2+ it may be, but apparently these would not sit well (ie. not lopsided) on some heads. The response of the Abyss guys? Something to the effect of "well, you can't just expect to get a good fit in ten minutes. It'll take a few days to dial in the fit." LOL.

Secondly, the sound was described as pretty good. $5k good? Well, my friend said he'd pay HE-500 money for one ($700-ish). But hey, don't forget you get that lovely stand, a wooden box, very high-end cables, and this...

"All main components permanently laser engraved for traceability and collectability"

Seems like they've decided in advance this is going to be a highly sought-after collectible!

It's not pink.... Why...

On the one side, I really hope this fails hard. On the other hand.... nah I'm too much of a cheapo to even wish this to succeed so that orthos can get even more popularity. So here I am hoping it'll fail really really really hard. Also looking forward to the trainwreck if this is going to fail. /cynicalme

Why not just make a regular ass headband?

Then they can't make it stand out and charge you $5k.

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:32 AM Post #7,894 of 21,763
Quote:
That's really nice ! I have a similar offer from Gavin at Tralucent who is also crazy about his :) I am going to get it and if it is enough for me, I'll sell the DX100 and just have a USB DAC. I won't get stealth I think because 120 euros extra seems unwarranted.

Maybe not as sexy as the Qualia, but way more robust. Nice attempt at the most expensive portable rig though. My TP + SE5 rig should compete. A fellow headfier says the pairing is unbelievable.

We thought that both stealth and pink fur were meant to be such a tease by Charles who just loved to fool around.

In fact, could this "rig" be the most expensive on Earth?

http://most-expensive.net/beats-by-dr-dre

http://stuarthughes.com/newdawn/product_info.php?products_id=113

I always wondered what a billionaire would do. Besides hiring musicians to play live music, what source/amp/IEM combo could a few million bucks accomplish without all that bling? That might be something like Henry Ford's game plan by asking the engineers to keep trying until something "impossible" is finally achieved.

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #7,895 of 21,763
Depends on the billionaire. New money, lotto winners / inheritance, and celebrities (and I'd include "modern royalty" in that category) tend to be the ones to blow money on showboating. Old money tends to live quite conservatively and would never spend millions on stuff like that unless they were specifically trying to buy the love of their children or something.

For millions? Screw IEMs. No, seriously. You're going to be going fullsized speakers. And you will have the rooms specifically for those speakers.

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #7,896 of 21,763
Quote:
Depends on the billionaire. New money, lotto winners / inheritance, and celebrities (and I'd include "modern royalty" in that category) tend to be the ones to blow money on showboating. Old money tends to live quite conservatively and would never spend millions on stuff like that unless they were specifically trying to buy the love of their children or something.

For millions? Screw IEMs. No, seriously. You're going to be going fullsized speakers. And you will have the rooms specifically for those speakers.

Or maybe go straight to neural implants.

Mar 12, 2013 at 5:21 AM Post #7,898 of 21,763
Quote:
Quote:
OH GOD YES!  I know it doesn't exist.  But I'm still looking for those level 50 orange handguns with infinite ammo.  Haven't found it yet.

You mean the Infinity? i have one 
size]
 It's been so useful I cannot imagine how I could survive the main campaign without one.

Yup, good 'ol Rapid Infinity.  It's kind of useless at the higher levels (i.e. YOU WILL DIE!), but the unlimited ammo was such a blessing in the beginning.

Mar 12, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #7,899 of 21,763
Do any of you have issues hearing your own heart beat while laying down with Custom IEMs in lol. That is one thing I was not happy about.... Seems to be a consistent issue while I lay down....

Mar 12, 2013 at 5:29 AM Post #7,900 of 21,763
When I lay down I'm asleep. I don't listen to customs in bed, partly because there's no way I'd hear my alarm to wake up...

Mar 12, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #7,902 of 21,763
Quote:
Do any of you have issues hearing your own heart beat while laying down with Custom IEMs in lol. That is one thing I was not happy about.... Seems to be a consistent issue while I lay down....

That's normal. Some folks even hear their heartbeat when they're sitting upright.

Mar 12, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #7,904 of 21,763

Doesn't seem better or worse for me than with other well-insulating IEMs. I thought everybody had to deal with that.

When I first wore highly-insulating IEMs (Etymotics, for what it's worth), the sound of my breathing, heartbeat and cable noise was very distracting. It took a while to learn how to ignore it all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back