The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Feb 9, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #5,687 of 21,763
In other news, after some deep thought I decided to do a little experimenting and possibly open up a huge can of worms on Head-Fi. Well, hopefully not but we'll see. As you all may know I'm not a cable believer and for the most part I've kept my nose out of all the, whats a nice way of putting it, lets call it spirited debate. Even though I've made what I feel is an educated decision concerning cables on my part based upon various research and past experience involving my old 90's now gone Yamaha speakers I've decided to be open minded and let my ears and brain decide for themselves before passing final judgement. Therefore I made a sizable investment last night and purchased a pair of ALO interconnects for my CLAS -db rig. I wasn't really impressed with the CLAS LOD to USB interconnect provided by Cypher Labs and if truth be known I think their interconnects feel and look rather cheap to be included in such a pricey mobile DAC. Since I've been real world testing Raven on the go I've found the included interconnect to be a weak link in that the littlest ding while walking around can sometimes cause the connection from my iPod to Raven to be broken and it sometimes takes a few seconds or a tap of the finger on the LOD for the signal to be reestablished.

I therefore ordered myself a ALO SXC 24 30 Pin to USA  Mini A cable. I figure even if the interconnect doesn't add anything audio wise to the chain at least it will be an upgrade durability wise. From the pictures it does look rather well made and although pricey it's not the worst offender out there. Although I am trying to be open minded about all this I really don't expect this LOD to do anything for the rigs sound signature. It is only sending unprocessed bits into Raven after all and from my understanding bits are bits and nothing more and they either get there or they don't. For connecting my amps to Raven I've been using a Fiio mini to mini so I settled on trying out a Right Angle SXC 22awg Mini to Mini interconnect. From the bits and pieces I've read from the various posts made by cable lovers if there's going to be any noticeable difference it should be most apparent at this part of the chain. I will of coarse also give these cables a little time before passing final judgement and even go out of my way to take notes using very specific songs I've heard millions of times as I allow them to quote "burn in" unquote. You may all think I'm just spoiling for a fight concerning a very old world audiophile myth/belief. The honest truth of the matter is if there's anyone I want to be proven more wrong it's me. I've just spent with shipping over 260 USD of my own hard earned money and therefore nobody would be more delighted then me to find out that I haven't wasted all that money needlessly.

Compact Right angle SXC 22 Mini to Mini

Site Writeup

Compact Right Angle SXC 22 gauge mini to mini:
The Compact Right Angle SXC 22 gauge mini to mini is hand-built from three strands of 22 gauge Silver Plated High Purity Copper or 'SXC' for short.  The SXC wire is covered in a PE jacket, which provides rugged protection as well an excellent sonic quality. The Compact Right Angle mini to mini is terminated with two modified high quality Neutrik Gold right angle mini plugs.

Specs
Jacket Material : Polyethylene (PE)
Conductor Material : Silver Plated Super Annealed CDA-101 Copper (SXC)
Conductor Gauge: 22awg
Number of Conductors : 3
Cryogenic Treatment: Cryo-Fi

SXC 24 30-Pin to USB Mini A

Site Writeup
The SXC 24 cable line is engineered for superior audio performance, to bring out the inner detail of the music and recordings we love. 
Each element of the conductor used in this cable is designed from our many years of experience building high fidelity audio cables.  
The result of our effort is a highly resolving, portable cable line that will allow you to get the very best from your portable listening devices.

High Purity Silver Plated Copper
Ultra high purity copper is at the core of the SXC 24 conductors. This raw material is then 'super annealed' in a special metallurgy process that both increases its flexibility and sonic performance before being slowly drawn and plated in high purity Silver, which has the sonic quality of improving the detail retrival of the cable, without sacrificing the warmth of the music.
 ​
Twisted Conductors for improved Signal Geometry
Utilizing high strand count conductors, the SXC 24 line of cables delivers a sonic performance that is detailed, engaging and musical.  The twisted geometry reduces microphonics in demanding portable applications.

Transparent and Durable Outer Jacket
The SXC 24 conductors are covered in a clear Fluoridated Ethylene Propylene (FEP) outer jacket, custom formulated to be microphonic resistant, durable over the lifetime of the cable and still be musical in its performance.

Specs
Jacket Material : Fluoridated ethylene propylene (Lux FEP)
Conductor Material : Silver Plated Super Annealed High Purity Copper
Conductor Gauge: 24 awg
Number of Conductors : 4

@Currawong

Amos, I figure I'll probably start a thread up concerning my findings, haven't really decided in which specific forum yet, in maybe a month or so. When i finally get the ball rolling would you mind to much if i sent you a PM notifying you of the thread? I'm hoping you'll keep a slightly closer eye on the thread and keep the trolls at bay and keep any and all infighting at bay. These things tend to get a little out of hand at times and I'm hoping you keeping a little closer eye on the thread will keep both parties posting cordially. I'm going to try and be as truthful as I can about all this and I'm fearing some feathers are going to be ruffled about it.

Feb 9, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #5,688 of 21,763
I look forward to those comparison. I'm one of the weird ones who does hear differences even between LOD cables on my portable rigs :). While not as apparent as the actual cable itself on the IEM or say adding a higher quality amp to the mix it is enough of a difference for me to like or not like the particular kit based on synergy (with silver cable it can become harsh and fatiguing for me).

Feb 9, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #5,689 of 21,763
In other news, after some deep thought I decided to do a little experimenting and possibly open up a huge can of worms on Head-Fi. Well, hopefully not but we'll see. As you all may know I'm not a cable believer and for the most part I've kept my nose out of all the, whats a nice way of putting it, lets call it spirited debate. Even though I've made what I feel is an educated decision concerning cables on my part based upon various research and past experience involving my old 90's now gone Yamaha speakers I've decided to be open minded and let my ears and brain decide for themselves before passing final judgement. Therefore I made a sizable investment last night and purchased a pair of ALO interconnects for my CLAS -db rig. I wasn't really impressed with the CLAS LOD to USB interconnect provided by Cypher Labs and if truth be known I think their interconnects feel and look rather cheap to be included in such a pricey mobile DAC. Since I've been real world testing Raven on the go I've found the included interconnect to be a weak link in that the littlest ding while walking around can sometimes cause the connection from my iPod to Raven to be broken and it sometimes takes a few seconds or a tap of the finger on the LOD for the signal to be reestablished.

I therefore ordered myself a ALO SXC 24 30 Pin to USA  Mini A cable. I figure even if the interconnect doesn't add anything audio wise to the chain at least it will be an upgrade durability wise. From the pictures it does look rather well made and although pricey it's not the worst offender out there. Although I am trying to be open minded about all this I really don't expect this LOD to do anything for the rigs sound signature. It is only sending unprocessed bits into Raven after all and from my understanding bits are bits and nothing more and they either get there or they don't. For connecting my amps to Raven I've been using a Fiio mini to mini so I settled on trying out a Right Angle SXC 22awg Mini to Mini interconnect. From the bits and pieces I've read from the various posts made by cable lovers if there's going to be any noticeable difference it should be most apparent at this part of the chain. I will of coarse also give these cables a little time before passing final judgement and even go out of my way to take notes using very specific songs I've heard millions of times as I allow them to quote "burn in" unquote. You may all think I'm just spoiling for a fight concerning a very old world audiophile myth/belief. The honest truth of the matter is if there's anyone I want to be proven more wrong it's me. I've just spent with shipping over 260 USD of my own hard earned money and therefore nobody would be more delighted then me to find out that I haven't wasted all that money needlessly.

Compact Right angle SXC 22 Mini to Mini

Site Writeup

Compact Right Angle SXC 22 gauge mini to mini:

The Compact Right Angle SXC 22 gauge mini to mini is hand-built from three strands of 22 gauge Silver Plated High Purity Copper or 'SXC' for short.  The SXC wire is covered in a PE jacket, which provides rugged protection as well an excellent sonic quality. The Compact Right Angle mini to mini is terminated with two modified high quality Neutrik Gold right angle mini plugs.

Specs
Jacket Material : Polyethylene (PE)
Conductor Material : Silver Plated Super Annealed CDA-101 Copper (SXC)
Conductor Gauge: 22awg
Number of Conductors : 3
Cryogenic Treatment: Cryo-Fi

SXC 24 30-Pin to USB Mini A

Site Writeup
[COLOR=808080]The SXC 24 cable line is engineered for superior audio performance, to bring out the inner detail of the music and recordings we love. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=808080]Each element of the conductor used in this cable is designed from our many years of experience building high fidelity audio cables.  [/COLOR]
[COLOR=808080]The result of our effort is a highly resolving, portable cable line that will allow you to get the very best from your portable listening devices.[/COLOR]

High Purity Silver Plated Copper
[COLOR=808080]Ultra high purity copper is at the core of the SXC 24 conductors. This raw material is then [COLOR=333333]'super annealed'[/COLOR] in a special metallurgy process that both [COLOR=333333]increases its flexibility and sonic performance[/COLOR] before being slowly drawn and plated in [COLOR=333333]high purity Silver[/COLOR], which has the sonic quality of improving the detail retrival of the cable, without sacrificing the warmth of the music.[/COLOR]​

Twisted Conductors for improved Signal Geometry
[COLOR=808080]Utilizing high strand count conductors, the SXC 24 line of cables delivers a sonic performance that is [COLOR=333333]detailed, engaging and musical[/COLOR].  The twisted geometry [COLOR=333333]reduces microphonics[/COLOR] in demanding portable applications.[/COLOR]

Transparent and Durable Outer Jacket
[COLOR=808080]The SXC 24 conductors are covered in a clear [COLOR=333333]Fluoridated Ethylene Propylene (FEP) outer jacket[/COLOR], custom formulated to be microphonic resistant, durable over the lifetime of the cable and still be musical in its performance.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=808080]Specs[/COLOR]
Jacket Material : Fluoridated ethylene propylene (Lux FEP)
Conductor Material : Silver Plated Super Annealed High Purity Copper
Conductor Gauge: 24 awg
Number of Conductors : 4

@Currawong

Amos, I figure I'll probably start a thread up concerning my findings, haven't really decided in which specific forum yet, in maybe a month or so. When i finally get the ball rolling would you mind to much if i sent you a PM notifying you of the thread? I'm hoping you'll keep a slightly closer eye on the thread and keep the trolls at bay and keep any and all infighting at bay. These things tend to get a little out of hand at times and I'm hoping you keeping a little closer eye on the thread will keep both parties posting cordially. I'm going to try and be as truthful as I can about all this and I'm fearing some feathers are going to be ruffled about it.

I'm looking forward to it, since I also don't believe in it, but just act apathetic about it. I'm trying to keep my post in check of anything demeaning as of time of wrting, since writing posts about things I don't like while I just woke up (means right now) tends to end up like that. And rambling. I should get some coffee.

Feb 9, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #5,690 of 21,763
Cable thing on IF yesterday is interesting:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/headphone-cable-measurements-part-one

Feb 9, 2013 at 3:53 AM Post #5,691 of 21,763
Cable thing on IF yesterday is interesting:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/headphone-cable-measurements-part-one

I'm curious. How many people have measured it like this? There's been lots talks of ABX tests and measurements of the cables themselves, but I haven't seen anyone brought out measurements done for cables through headphones.

Thanks for the link.

Feb 9, 2013 at 5:49 AM Post #5,692 of 21,763
Pretty interesting results so far, but I am not too surprised by the results. Differences between sensibly constructed cables are very subtle. You really need something obnoxious like a 16wire cable with massive capacitance to hear a clear difference.

Feb 9, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #5,693 of 21,763
digitalfreak: The only safe forum to post about cables in is Cable, Power, Tweaks, etc. Unless you're talking about building them, in which case DIY.

On a whim a couple weeks ago I measured the resistivity of all the IEM cables I had at hand. They all measured differently (the highest was over 100% of the lowest-measuring cable), although each individual line in each cable measured similar to each other (±5%). Capacitance is probably more audibly relevant than resistivity, but I didn't have the means at the time to measure that.

So it's definitely not true that cables are all the same, even with that crude test. To the extent the difference is audible is another matter. The one I thought sounded worst was also the outlier in terms of measurements; of the rest I've found the ergonomics to be at least as relevant as sound quality.

This is all I'm going to say about cables for the week because holy cats I don't want this thread devolving into a cable argument. If you have specific questions or criticisms bring it up with me in PM or start a thread in a relevant forum.

(edited a couple times for clarity)

Feb 9, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #5,694 of 21,763
Ahh crap repeating myself my bad.

Feb 9, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #5,695 of 21,763
Quote:
I keep finding myself staring at the Woo WA7 Fireflies:

As I want to get a small tube amp for my office, this kind of seems ideal (includes a DAC too). Seeing that last picture with a pair of CIEMs has me hopeful that there wont be any audible background noise. Thing is, I really don't care for the other Woo dynamic amps I've tried (including the WA22 which I owned briefly), so I'm a bit hesitant to go that route.

There is zero background noise. It's a great amp, if more on the warm, "tubey" side of things. I'm waiting for the tube upgrade to arrive as I like a bit more zing. Will have a review up sometime soon.

Quote:
Today I'll be visiting my ENT doctor to get my ears professionally cleaned. I've been doing this once a year, and I feel it makes quite a difference. Really one of the best "audiophile upgrades" I can think of doing. It's also a good idea to get it done before taking ear impressions.

Good plan. I think people are always surprised how much earwax affects their hearing. Had a friend who always turned the TV up and annoyed people until he found out his ears were full of wax.

Quote:
Why do no Italian places around me serve risotto????? My favorite dish and I can't find it locally. So maddening. It seems excessively rare for a 'staple' dish.

I made one the other night and it took me 2 hours. It needs as long as the rice needs to cook, making it unsuitable for restaurants where the cooking needs to be done quickly.

Quote:
@Currawong

You know it sucks to read threads to see if you are going to have to moderate them? I'm interested in reading what you have to say though.

Quote:
Pretty interesting results so far, but I am not too surprised by the results. Differences between sensibly constructed cables are very subtle. You really need something obnoxious like a 16wire cable with massive capacitance to hear a clear difference.

The comments after that thread were predictable.

Feb 9, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #5,697 of 21,763
Quote:

There is zero background noise. It's a great amp, if more on the warm, "tubey" side of things. I'm waiting for the tube upgrade to arrive as I like a bit more zing. Will have a review up sometime soon.

Looking forward to reading your thoughts. Woo's house sound seems to be on the warmer, richer side from my experience (WA22, GES, WES), as is Red Wine Audio's. Really the question at the forefront of my mind is how the Fireflies compares to the new Schiit stack. Both the Fireflies and the M&M are just so cute it's ridiculous.

Feb 9, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #5,698 of 21,763
Also if any of you guys haven't checked out the Stax factory tour thread yet, do so. Kudos to Amos, Arnaud, and Scott for their report. Also to Stax for making such inspiring equipment.

Speaking of which, I can't stop ogling this picture from their tour:

That, ladies and gents, is the original T2. The legendary DIYT2 is based off of it. Stax originally made it to be paired with the SR-Omega:

As I've mentioned before, I personally like the SR-Omega more than the SR-009 and even the SR-007mk1 (depending on my mood). The original T2 is one of the ultimate pieces of unobtainium for me. I'd rather have the SR-Omega + SRM-T2 combo than an Orpheus set.

Feb 9, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #5,699 of 21,763
I saw the Stax interview highlighted on the mobile site yesterday, otherwise I would have missed it entirely.

@currawong -- any reason why sometimes different threads are featured on the mobile and desktop versions of the site?

(The Cavalli announcement also only appeared on the mobile site. I half wonder whether Jude is shunting featured high-end posts to mobile users and mid/hi-fi to desktop users, but I suspect it's mostly coincidence.)

Feb 9, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #5,700 of 21,763
Stax makes such smexy phones. The Omega and especially the 007 are beautiful

Users who are viewing this thread

Back