The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Dec 4, 2013 at 7:06 AM Post #19,877 of 21,761
Wasn't google fiber supposed to save us all from the telecom companies? At the rate they are moving, I'm guessing sometime after the next millennium... :rolleyes:

Dec 4, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #19,878 of 21,761
"Wasn't google fiber supposed to save us all from the telecom companies? At the rate they are moving, I'm guessing sometime after the next millennium...
rolleyes.gif
"

Give Peace I meant Capitalism a chance
tongue.gif

Dec 4, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #19,881 of 21,761
Network performance has two primary components: bandwidth and latency. Bandwidth is what everyone focuses on, but it's only half the story. Consider a pipe. The width of the pipe represents the bandwidth - a larger pipe allows you to stuff more bits in your end of the pipe and also get more bits out of the end of your pipe. Latency is the length of the pipe - how long it takes the bits you shove in one end to come out the other end. No matter how many bits you can stuff into your end, it still takes a finite amount of time for each of those bit to get from one end of the pipe to the other.

Latency becomes critically important because the typical TCP/IP connection is very "chatty". Every packet exchange actually requires a request to be sent asking if the other computer is ready, then an acknowledge, then the actual packet, then an acknowledge, then another data packet, then acknowledge, rinse, repeat. Every one of those requests and acknowledgements has to wait for the travel time - the latency. So, the ping time is actually much more than just one round trip, it's a series of round trips for all the requests, data and acknowledgements.

The farther you are to the server, and the more hops you take in-between, the worse all of this chattiness gets.

That's all happening at the packet level. There can also be a whole other level of chattiness that happens at the application layer.

Add some instances of dropped packets into the mix, and now you have to repeat packets and acknowledgements that have already been sent once.

Bottom line: Your available bandwidth can be high, and your connection can still "feel" slow.

Now - what can you do about it? Not much. Connect to servers that are closer to you and/or require less hops to get there. Make sure your own LAN is not dropping packets and has very, very low latency. Get your ISP to test your signal levels and the latency from your house to their POP.

Good luck!

Great info! Happily learned something new this morning.

lol - NOW I'll shut up.

Haha wow, I tested the connection at the client I'm currently on in the evening after staff had left and it was:
190 Mbits down / 50 Mbits up
which I thought was great, but wow lol.

My home connection is like 25 down / 5 up and that's usually enough for me. Most servers I've downloaded stuff from won't let me go the whole 25 down anyway. What I really need is a better router for my home WAN to be able to stream video to devices.

"Wasn't google fiber supposed to save us all from the telecom companies? At the rate they are moving, I'm guessing sometime after the next millennium... :rolleyes: "

Give Peace I meant Capitalism a chance:p

Am I the only one who would rather google nor especially the government have access to, in this day and age, what amounts to virtually all my information for the price of faster throughput. On principle of not making it too easy for them?

Dec 4, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #19,882 of 21,761

Great info! Happily learned something new this morning.
Haha wow, I tested the connection at the client I'm currently on in the evening after staff had left and it was:
190 Mbits down / 50 Mbits up
which I thought was great, but wow lol.

My home connection is like 25 down / 5 up and that's usually enough for me. Most servers I've downloaded stuff from won't let me go the whole 25 down anyway. What I really need is a better router for my home WAN to be able to stream video to devices.
Am I the only one who would rather google nor especially the government have access to, in this day and age, what amounts to virtually all my information for the price of faster throughput. On principle of not making it too easy for them?

190 down and 50 up is pretty damned spectacular. Don't forget I work at a university, these places usually have huuuuge bandwidth for obvious reasons.

Tomorrow I'll probably work late at night instead of during the day, so I'll test our speed one last time, when most people have gone home. I'll see if that will affect the speed a lot. I came pretty early this mornign and TBH, the speed hasn't changed all that much during the day, but it'd be fun to know what kinds of numbers I'll get tomorrow night. I was around 400 Mb/s earlier today, so I'm optimistic that I can bump it up a notch when I'm all alone here.

Dec 4, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #19,884 of 21,761
And the UCI isn't there to regulate...

Wonder what this means for audio: http://techcrunch.com/2013/12/04/the-next-gen-usb-plug-to-be-smaller-and-finally-reversible/

Silicon is a metalloid element; while silicones contain silicon as a component, they are oxysilicate polymers. Silicon used in semiconductors have nothing to do with silicone CIEMs.

Silicon Valley and Silicone Valley are very different from each other, and situated on different poles of California.

Dec 4, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #19,888 of 21,761

Yea, for a one (large) floor office, it was pretty shocking. And it's not even a packed office. I'm still trying to figure out why it lists your university and this client's name as it's own ISP. :confused:

Re: the Nepresso machine-
I tried it at the store and it was a solid little machine. Smaller than you would expect. I usually get cappuccino when I go for an espresso drink and that's where those machines fail. In New York, the best espresso beverages I've had have been made on one of the higher end La Marzocco machines, at different places no less. The only consistency is the machine.

(sorry, couldn't resist) :wink: :ph34r:  

Let's go James, whip it out.

It's more interesting to me than anything else really.

Dec 4, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #19,889 of 21,761

QUESTION:
What is the correct formula for T.M.I.?

ANSWER
Excellent question, young go-getter. According to the U.S. Surgeon General, the correct equation for T.M.I. is "Length times Girth over Angle of the Shaft (aka YAW) divided by mass over WIDTH."

However, there are a few followers of the Marsh Method who still belief the Surgeon General's formula is flawed. To calculate, you'll need a tape measure, a protractor, and of course, a penis. Here is Randy's formula: "Length times Diameter plus Weight over Girth divided by Angle of the Tip squared."

Dec 4, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #19,890 of 21,761
Reading pages from an accounting book is very appropriate. ..and utterly boring
smily_headphones1.gif
I think I would even prefer actual penis size comparison.

You're right. Let's do it. 

Yea, for a one (large) floor office, it was pretty shocking. And it's not even a packed office. I'm still trying to figure out why it lists your university and this client's name as it's own ISP.
confused.gif

Re: the Nepresso machine-
I tried it at the store and it was a solid little machine. Smaller than you would expect. I usually get cappuccino when I go for an espresso drink and that's where those machines fail. In New York, the best espresso beverages I've had have been made on one of the higher end La Marzocco machines, at different places no less. The only consistency is the machine.
Let's go James, whip it out.

It's more interesting to me than anything else really.

Personally I like the cappuccino it makes. It's actually a darned solid cappuccino. Especially for a little machine like this. Much better than I would've ever gotten with a mocha pot and a milk frother. But I'm with you there, I usually go for a cappuccino too. I find it to be the perfect balance between the strength of the espresso, and the smoothness of the frothed milk. However, having tasted this machine's espressos, I'm kind of warming up to them. Owner's bias perhaps, but perhaps also a pinch of good ol' gettin' used to it as well. 

AFAIK, my university is it's own ISP, however, there's another service provider in the picture called Sunet. I'm not sure we can call Sunet an ISP though, and I'm not sure about what service they really provide, if it's the internet, infrastructure or a WAN, etc.

QUESTION:
What is the correct formula for T.M.I.?

ANSWER
Excellent question, young go-getter. According to the U.S. Surgeon General, the correct equation for T.M.I. is "Length times Girth over Angle of the Shaft (aka YAW) divided by mass over WIDTH."

However, there are a few followers of the Marsh Method who still belief the Surgeon General's formula is flawed. To calculate, you'll need a tape measure, a protractor, and of course, a penis. Here is Randy's formula: "Length times Diameter plus Weight over Girth divided by Angle of the Tip squared."

Now that's the question we've all been wondering about. If I did my calculations correctly, I have the answer 42. Is this correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back