The Decware TABOO MK 111 Thread
Aug 22, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #1,231 of 2,112
Yep, I'd be tempted to get in on that, but sadly my transformer hum issue has put a bit of a damper on my Decware honeymoon. If I can get it sorted I might continue with my grand scheme of getting the pre-amp and phono stage too.

Aug 22, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #1,232 of 2,112
I wouldn't mind getting back on the list for a TORII MK IV. I think I'll show restraint this time though.

Aug 22, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #1,233 of 2,112
Yep, I'd be tempted to get in on that, but sadly my transformer hum issue has put a bit of a damper on my Decware honeymoon. If I can get it sorted I might continue with my grand scheme of getting the pre-amp and phono stage too.

Despite having the same concerns, I finalized my order today for the CSP3+. I find that I love the sound of the Taboo enough that it's worth going full-on although I'm still unsure if the hum is normal.

I've noticed the hum that I'm getting varies. Sometimes it is noticeable during quiet passages, occasionally it is almost gone, but usually it's somewhere in the middle. Because it varies, I am hoping it's a power condition issue. That conditioner I ordered should arrive today so I'll post if it helps.

Worst case is that it goes back for a checkup. I know that's worse for you Kendoji, shipping from overseas and all.

I still haven't heard any "quiet" Taboo owners respond about what happens when you plug a low impedance or sensitive IEM/CIEM into the Taboo. This seems like a good test.

I realize it may not be an ideal amp to use with IEM's, but every other desktop amp I've tried...you can use an IEM. Not much volume range, a little bit of background noise, but useable. I plug an IEM into this amp and get LOUD background hum. Unusable.

Anyway the troubleshoot continues, but I have the CSP3+ ordered up regardless. :)

Aug 22, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #1,234 of 2,112
Quote:
I still haven't heard any "quiet" Taboo owners respond about what happens when you plug a low impedance or sensitive IEM/CIEM into the Taboo. This seems like a good test.

I realize it may not be an ideal amp to use with IEM's, but every other desktop amp I've tried...you can use an IEM. Not much volume range, a little bit of background noise, but useable. I plug an IEM into this amp and get LOUD background hum. Unusable.

Anyway the troubleshoot continues, but I have the CSP3+ ordered up regardless.
smily_headphones1.gif

Really tempted by the CSP3+...

I originally put this on the HD800 thread when the question came up (Klipsch X10 is 50ohms and 100dB):
As for the IEM, I hear a hum with my Klipsch X10s that would become annoying, can still hear it in the background even with the volume turned up.  Also can hear the tubes ring when I bumped into the table accidentally.  It is quiet with other phones (HD800, HE500).

Aug 22, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #1,235 of 2,112
Quote:
Since everyone has been speculating on the new CSP3 on this thread I thought this would be the best place to give you guys the first look at CSP3 Serial No. 001. Arrived via UPS about an hour ago. Sorry for the poor photos taken with an old Motorola cellphone.  The CSP3 in photos has all of the options Steve currently offers. Notice the new headphone jacks. You can order it with dual phono's or dual XLRs, but not a mix of each (which is what I originally ordered). Before he shipped my CSP3 out he called to tell me that he decided against offering a mix of phono/xlr jacks.

So, to clarify.....Steve wouldn't let you have both a 4 pin balanced head phone jack and a single ended jack?  That's what I was going to ask for.  In addition to the Bees Wax Caps....of course.

Aug 22, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #1,236 of 2,112
Quote:
. . . .

. . . .

Anyway the troubleshoot continues, but I have the CSP3+ ordered up regardless.
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't use IEMs, but I do have and use, from time to time, Beyerdynamic DT-1350 which are 80ohms/109db sensitivity (they also have the newer Tesla drivers). When plugged into my new CSP3 they are dead quiet, no hum at all. I can't turn the stepped attenuator on the CSP3 more than 4 or 5 clicks from 0 (it tops out at 20 clicks max) without hurting my hearing. The CSP3 outputs are set to factory default (4 clicks up from 0). The same applies to my Taboo III (fed by CSP3) as far as hum is concerned with the output set a full (20 clicks) open and input levels at max as well. Dead quiet.  I hope that gives you some feedback.

I find the CSP3 works much, much better with the DT1350s than the Taboo III; it has a more dynamic and 3D sound. On the Taboo III, the DT-1350s sound flat and lifeless. The LCD-2 is the polar opposite, great on the Taboo III, not so much on the CSP3.

I imagine IEMs will be different because they couple to your ears differently and they usually have lower impedences than most full sized headphones making it tough on tube gear. I believe the CSP3 being an OTL design generally works best with dynamic high impedence headphones 250 ohms or better; although, my DT1350s sound great and have a much lower impedence. 

Aug 22, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #1,237 of 2,112
Jazzgas,

Quote:
Jazzgas,

So, to clarify.....Steve wouldn't let you have both a 4 pin balanced head phone jack and a single ended jack?  That's what I was going to ask for.  In addition to the Bees Wax Caps....of course.

Yes, you have it right. But, I sensed that if I pushed and begged a little more he might have relented. So, by all means, you can ask him for the "mix" and see if he changes his mind. He's not an unreasonable fellow and really wants, and goes out of way, to please all of his customers. BTW, IMO, the Jupiter caps are an absolute must have addition to the CSP3.

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #1,238 of 2,112
Regarding CIEM's and hum. I do not have an adapter for my CIEM's to try. I do not hear hum with my HD650's or HD800's....

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #1,239 of 2,112
Quote:
Jazzgas,

Yes, you have it right. But, I sensed that if I pushed and begged a little more he might have relented. So, by all means, you can ask him for the "mix" and see if he changes his mind. He's not an unreasonable fellow and really wants, and goes out of way, to please all of his customers. BTW, IMO, the Jupiter caps are an absolute must have addition to the CSP3.

I'm glad to hear that.  I don't feel like such a boob for asking him to add the Jupiter caps after he'd already finished it.

Aug 22, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #1,240 of 2,112
Steve told me the two headphone outputs could be both xlr or both 1/4. The reason, he said, is that it just looks funny and off-kilter with them mixed. So he is offering either or.

....but..I get the feeling that if you really wanted them mixed he would do it. Form following function, and such. Mine is on for xlr but I may still ask for mixed.

On another note, my power conditioner thing came and wouldn't you know it...it arrived damaged. There's some bolts and washers and a couple stand-off posts broken off and rolling around inside. So I got to open it up and see what's what. Maybe return it. Ugh...Thanks to all for the comments on hum and thanks for putting up with all my posts regarding..

Aug 22, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #1,241 of 2,112
Quote:
Steve told me the two headphone outputs could be both xlr or both 1/4. The reason, he said, is that it just looks funny and off-kilter with them mixed. So he is offering either or.

....but..I get the feeling that if you really wanted them mixed he would do it. Form following function, and such. Mine is on for xlr but I may still ask for mixed.

On another note, my power conditioner thing came and wouldn't you know it...it arrived damaged. There's some bolts and washers and a couple stand-off posts broken off and rolling around inside. So I got to open it up and see what's what. Maybe return it. Ugh...Thanks to all for the comments on hum and thanks for putting up with all my posts regarding..

Ugh.  I hate it when stuff comes damaged.  At least it's not something large.

Aug 23, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #1,242 of 2,112

Oh that's a shame! Does it still work, so you can test if it fixes the hum issue before you send it back?

And about your earlier post, I also think my transformer hum varies in severity at different times of day, though I can't be sure I'm not imagining it. Think I need to send another note to Decware as I didn't get a response to my email last week.

Aug 23, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #1,243 of 2,112
Quote:

Hey jazzgas does that CSP3+ have 1 rca and input and 2 rca output?

Edit:
Nevermind Decware site has it listed as 2 inputs and 1 output

Aug 23, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #1,244 of 2,112
Quote:
Hey jazzgas does that CSP3+ have 1 rca and input and 2 rca output?

Edit:
Nevermind Decware site has it listed as 2 inputs and 1 output

My understanding is that the CSP comes standard with two RCA source input pairs and one stereo output pair and one mono output.  An option for $100 is two stereo outputs and no mono output.  I would suggest going to Decware.com and reading about the CSP 2....the CSP 3 write up hasn't been posted yet.  Also if you click on the "add to cart" link you can see the available options and their cost.  From reading here and a letter from Steve a couple days ago, another unlisted option is two XLR headphone jacks in place of the standard single ended jacks....don't know the cost.  Hope this helps....Mark.

Aug 23, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #1,245 of 2,112
So I just went ahead and ordered that AG500 power regenerator that Negura recommended. No idea if it will reduce the hum issues, but I guess it's worth a shot.

Another question - I was reading Steve's explanation of what old lucid mode is, and he described it as 'almost like mono' with a clearer center-image. My experience of it isn't like that at all. I find the center-image much stronger when old lucid mode is off. Turning it on seems to expand the soundstage, and if anything, make it 'more stereo'. Is it just me?

Also, received a new rectifier the other day - an RCA 5Y3GT, as recommended in this thread. There's a seller on eBay who has a bunch that are tested to '95%', and are cheap. He even threw in a second one in my package for free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back