The Decware TABOO MK 111 Thread
Aug 23, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #1,246 of 2,112
Quote:
My understanding is that the CSP comes standard with two RCA source input pairs and one stereo output pair and one mono output.  An option for $100 is two stereo outputs and no mono output.  I would suggest going to Decware.com and reading about the CSP 2....the CSP 3 write up hasn't been posted yet.  Also if you click on the "add to cart" link you can see the available options and their cost.  From reading here and a letter from Steve a couple days ago, another unlisted option is two XLR headphone jacks in place of the standard single ended jacks....don't know the cost.  Hope this helps....Mark.

Thanks Mark, two outputs is exactly what I need.
This really puts the pressure on me to order one of these before the site is updated...my wife is gonna kill me

Aug 23, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #1,247 of 2,112
Remember that old lucid mode was developed for speakers not headphones. It is new lucid that really had the Audeze's in mind.

Aug 23, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #1,248 of 2,112
Is your headphones plug single ended? If so the old lucid mode is not exactly as described.

Aug 23, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #1,250 of 2,112
No never. I would prefer they were removed for a cleaner path and the Taboo balanced only.

Aug 23, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #1,251 of 2,112
Is your headphones plug single ended? If so the old lucid mode is not exactly as described.

I only have a balanced cable for my HD 800 so that's the only headphone I've been able to compare with.  It just seems puzzling to me that the effect is the opposite to me of the way Steve described it, regardless of whether it was originally designed for speakers.

So far I don't see myself using either lucid mode much.  I prefer old lucid mode off and new lucid mode is too bizarre to be enjoyable.

Aug 23, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #1,252 of 2,112
Quote:
Are any of you all actually using the Lucid modes? 

The Taboo sounds so good playing regular stereo I never use them.

I use original lucid mode most of the time. I am probably 50/50 HP vs. speakers. New Lucid is too wide a soundstage for me. Particularly with the HD800's.

Aug 23, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #1,253 of 2,112
I've pretty much stopped using either Lucid Mode (never liked the new mode).  I noticed after a few days I'd forgotten to switch the old mode back on after doing some testing.  I didn't miss it so I've left it off.  You need the old mode if you are using a single ended cable though.

I've thought about, at some point, sending my Taboo in to have the New Lucid switch turned into a speaker cutoff, if that's possible.

Another week has gone by and my CSP3+ is still not here.  It appears there's a problem with stock on the walnut wood bases.  Unfortunately both my CSP3+ and ZP3 are in walnut
frown.gif

Aug 23, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #1,254 of 2,112
Quote:
I've pretty much stopped using either Lucid Mode (never liked the new mode).  I noticed after a few days I'd forgotten to switch the old mode back on after doing some testing.  I didn't miss it so I've left it off.  You need the old mode if you are using a single ended cable though.

I've thought about, at some point, sending my Taboo in to have the New Lucid switch turned into a speaker cutoff, if that's possible.

Another week has gone by and my CSP3+ is still not here.  It appears there's a problem with stock on the walnut wood bases.  Unfortunately both my CSP3+ and ZP3 are in walnut
frown.gif

There's an easy remedy to your problem.....just call and request a change to the black figured base that is preferred by those here with refined taste....hehe

Aug 23, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #1,255 of 2,112
I suppose I have the opposite opinion here about lucid mode.  Without old lucid mode the amp loses a lot of the soundstage presentation that I enjoy about the Taboo lineup.  Without the lucid mode I don't think I'd be as big a fan.  Call me crazy.  It may also depend on headphones.  Headphones I've used on the Taboo MKII, MKIII have been HE-500, TH-600, T50RP, Grado 225i.  DACs have been the W4S DAC-2 and JKenny Ciunas.  I imagine you guys with the HD800s, LCD-3, etc. may not need lucid mode like the rest of us.  Additionally, a user with a preamp + Taboo may not require initiation of lucid mode as much as non-preamp users.  Influence of DACs on soundstage?       

How many users owners turn off old lucid mode?  If you do, which headphones are you using?

Aug 23, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #1,256 of 2,112
Quote:
I suppose I have the opposite opinion here about lucid mode.  Without old lucid mode the amp loses a lot of the soundstage presentation that I enjoy about the Taboo lineup.  Without the lucid mode I don't think I'd be as big a fan.  Call me crazy.  It may also depend on headphones.  Headphones I've used on the Taboo MKII, MKIII have been HE-500, TH-600, T50RP, Grado 225i.  DACs have been the W4S DAC-2 and JKenny Ciunas.  I imagine you guys with the HD800s, LCD-3, etc. may not need lucid mode like the rest of us.  Additionally, a user with a preamp + Taboo may not require initiation of lucid mode as much as non-preamp users.  Influence of DACs on soundstage?       

How many users owners turn off old lucid mode?  If you do, which headphones are you using?

It's really more a question of headphone cable.  I don't think the Taboo really works right without Lucid mode unless you have a balanced cable.

Quote:
There's an easy remedy to your problem.....just call and request a change to the black figured base that is preferred by those here with refined taste....hehe

Ha!  Tempting, but I've already got a walnut theme going.

Aug 23, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #1,257 of 2,112
I have a question for all of you here.  I am only recently getting back into High Fidelity after a 10 to 15 year hiatus.  I have recently purchased the wonderful Taboo MK III and Audeze LCD 2.2 headphones.  A Decware pre amp and  ZU Audio speakers have been ordered.  I don't want to get into computer music....I have thousands of CDs and LPs and have no desire to transfer them or to begin buying downloaded music.  I am currently using a Harmon Kardon  CD Recorder I bought in the early nineties for Red Book playback....I want to upgrade it but don't know what to get.  I read about the PS Audio Transport and DAC combo but think I'd rather just buy a simple player....ie no software, etc.....just put a CD in, press a button and enjoy the Music.  Any recommendations? Or thoughts?  Thanks, Mark.   PS...I mainly listen to small group and Big Band Jazz 80%.....the rest....Rock, Blues, Classical.

Aug 23, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #1,258 of 2,112
Quote:
It's really more a question of headphone cable.  I don't think the Taboo really works right without Lucid mode unless you have a balanced cable.

You can easily change out the Walnut base on your Taboo with the "beautiful" Black figured base.....Steve would probably throw one in for free for your extra wait.....just saying....hehe

Aug 23, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #1,259 of 2,112
Mr Speakers Alpha Dog ordered.  Will be my first balanced headphone.  

Quote:

I had the Oppo BDP-105 at one point.  Lets you go between a USB DAC and a standalone CD player depending on what you want.  Always nice to know the USB option is there for you when you want to try it.  

Quote:
I have a question for all of you here.  I am only recently getting back into High Fidelity after a 10 to 15 year hiatus.  I have recently purchased the wonderful Taboo MK III and Audeze LCD 2.2 headphones.  A Decware pre amp and  ZU Audio speakers have been ordered.  I don't want to get into computer music....I have thousands of CDs and LPs and have no desire to transfer them or to begin buying downloaded music.  I am currently using a Harmon Kardon  CD Recorder I bought in the early nineties for Red Book playback....I want to upgrade it but don't know what to get.  I read about the PS Audio Transport and DAC combo but think I'd rather just buy a simple player....ie no software, etc.....just put a CD in, press a button and enjoy the Music.  Any recommendations? Or thoughts?  Thanks, Mark.   PS...I mainly listen to small group and Big Band Jazz 80%.....the rest....Rock, Blues, Classical.

Aug 23, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #1,260 of 2,112
Quote:
Mr Speakers Alpha Dog ordered.  Will be my first balanced headphone.  

I heard the Alpha Dogs at CAS4 and liked them a lot.  I can't imagine they won't sound really, really good with the Taboo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back