The Decware TABOO MK 111 Thread
Aug 23, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #1,261 of 2,112
Quote:

I heard the Alpha Dogs at CAS4 and liked them a lot.  I can't imagine they won't sound really, really good with the Taboo.

Yeah for the money they're very fun and I would prefer them to many other HPs at that budget.

On a side subject I am impressed how good the Taboo rig sounds with Stax. Very difficult going to sleep. I was going to order an electrostatic amplifier, but I am seriously considering not to, or delay it at the moment.

I've made a few modifications in the last few days: testing a new USB interface to my DAC - PUC2 Lite fed through the IFI Gemini USB cable which is powered by a linear regulated USB power supply connected to my regen. And finally the Philips/Miniwatt EL84s output tubes. All this together helped the system scale a lot and I am extremely pleased how transparent the Taboo is to all these changes.

Aug 23, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #1,262 of 2,112
Quote:
Oh that's a shame! Does it still work, so you can test if it fixes the hum issue before you send it back?

And about your earlier post, I also think my transformer hum varies in severity at different times of day, though I can't be sure I'm not imagining it. Think I need to send another note to Decware as I didn't get a response to my email last week.

I emailed the vendor pictures of the damage inside and he said it looks like I could fix it to try it out it by bolting down and reconnecting a this-n-that inside. No, those are not the exact technical terms. So anyway I should be able to give it a try tonight. 

Quote:
Are any of you all actually using the Lucid modes? 

The Taboo sounds so good playing regular stereo I never use them.

Here's my thought on the lucid modes. Most of the time, I keep them both off, and am perfectly happy with the sound. I'm thankful that I'm using balanced cables, because using the SE outputs you must have old lucid on. I don't mind the sound with old lucid on, but generally prefer it off. Also for the occasional binaural recording...well, I have been told by a recording engineer that crossfeed is "kryptonite" to binaural recordings. So that's something to keep in mind with either lucid mode. 

I haven't actually been able to try the Taboo yet with speakers, but when I do - I will like to try old lucid as it was designed for speakers. Good to have a switch. 

Now the new lucid mode- yes it is at times bizarre, and for most recordings I leave it off too. However, with certain recordings I have found I really like it. It is usually stuff that is very well recorded in the first place, and small scale stuff, just a couple instruments and a couple vocals, stuff like that. It can add a nice spaciousness to the performance, and move things around so it gives you a new window into the performance. Even other recordings where the overall performance sounds "off" it's sometimes a fun tool to look at the recording from another direction. For example, you may very clearly hear exactly what a rhythm guitarist is doing, where it is usually buried in the mix. So I like it. Not for everything but I really like having it. 

Aug 24, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #1,263 of 2,112
I prefer old lucid mode on, using HD800 and HE500 balanced cable.  New Lucid mode only rarely when I feel adventurous.

For CD's I have a OPPO 103, Like the USB  option, didn't need the 105, I use my Bifrost as DAC.

Aug 24, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #1,264 of 2,112
Quote:
So I just went ahead and ordered that AG500 power regenerator that Negura recommended. No idea if it will reduce the hum issues, but I guess it's worth a shot.

Give the AG500 a little time to settle in. I found it made things sound a little lean for the first few days.

Aug 24, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #1,265 of 2,112
Interesting. I have not noticed any particular changes with burn-in for the AG500. However I did find the power chords between the AG500 and the devices have a significant impact as usual with power chords. I could not hear any diference with the cable used between the mains and the AG500 though.

How are you finding the AG500 overall?

Aug 24, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #1,266 of 2,112
Quote:
I have a question for all of you here.  I am only recently getting back into High Fidelity after a 10 to 15 year hiatus.  I have recently purchased the wonderful Taboo MK III and Audeze LCD 2.2 headphones.  A Decware pre amp and  ZU Audio speakers have been ordered.  I don't want to get into computer music....I have thousands of CDs and LPs and have no desire to transfer them or to begin buying downloaded music.  I am currently using a Harmon Kardon  CD Recorder I bought in the early nineties for Red Book playback....I want to upgrade it but don't know what to get.  I read about the PS Audio Transport and DAC combo but think I'd rather just buy a simple player....ie no software, etc.....just put a CD in, press a button and enjoy the Music.  Any recommendations? Or thoughts?  Thanks, Mark.   PS...I mainly listen to small group and Big Band Jazz 80%.....the rest....Rock, Blues, Classical.

I would pick up a used Denon 3910, 5900 or 5910. They were top shelf redbook machines, but since they are used you can get them for $250-$500. They were $2000+ when new. Great devices and built like tanks.

Aug 24, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #1,267 of 2,112
Well I never thought I would be saying this but my time with the Taboo mk2 has come to an end. I never really expected that to happen. I moved and there is really no room at all in my current place, and no real way that I can use my speakers either. I'm instead picking up a Bakoon Products HDA-5210mk3 which fits a little better into my tiny desk area.  I'll be listing my taboo up within the next month or so, but I need to send it in for repairs first.  If anyone is interested feel free to shoot me a pm with any questions. I will still list the item even if we work something out just for safety/protocol reasons. I could possibly have them send it straight to you after repair.

TY

Aug 24, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #1,268 of 2,112
Quote:
I would pick up a used Denon 3910, 5900 or 5910. They were top shelf redbook machines, but since they are used you can get them for $250-$500. They were $2000+ when new. Great devices and built like tanks.

Thanks, I'll do some research and be on the look out for one in good condition.  Looks like a low risk way to start my search.  Do you have any experience with using a Zen Tube Gain Stage or Buffer in front of a CD player?  Also, I know you follow Decware here and on their site....I recently saw a post from Steve showing the internal layout of the Torii  mk III and the New Torii MK IV but I can't remember where I saw it....can't find it this morning.  I'm very close to ordering one with the improvements and about $500 price increase soon to come....any thoughts? Thanks, Mark.

Aug 24, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #1,269 of 2,112
The Torii is fantastic. I wish I could hear it along side the SLI-80 since they are in the same basic price range. I have never heard the Zen Tube stage. I have always been pleased with the Denon players. I have both the 3910 and 5900. The 5910 is the top of the line but they are harder to find used. Audiogon and ebay usually have a couple up for sale. There is a 3910 on Audiogon right now but the price is wrong. Top for a 3910 or 5900 should be $400 or so and $500-$600 for a 5910.

Nice Denon DVD-3910 find on Audiogon.com

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/cd-sacd-players-denon-dvd-3910-dvd-player-plays-cd-sacd-dvd-a-w-remote-was-1500-2013-08-19-digital-91732-el-monte-ca

Aug 24, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #1,270 of 2,112
Quote:
The Torii is fantastic. I wish I could hear it along side the SLI-80 since they are in the same basic price range. I have never heard the Zen Tube stage. I have always been pleased with the Denon players. I have both the 3910 and 5900. The 5910 is the top of the line but they are harder to find used. Audiogon and ebay usually have a couple up for sale. There is a 3910 on Audiogon right now but the price is wrong. Top for a 3910 or 5900 should be $400 or so and $500-$600 for a 5910.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/cd-sacd-players-denon-dvd-3910-dvd-player-plays-cd-sacd-dvd-a-w-remote-was-1500-2013-08-19-digital-91732-el-monte-ca

What do you mean "the price is wrong".....$280 plus shipping seems pretty cheap to me!

Aug 24, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #1,271 of 2,112
Quote:
Interesting. I have not noticed any particular changes with burn-in for the AG500. However I did find the power chords between the AG500 and the devices have a significant impact as usual with power chords. I could not hear any diference with the cable used between the mains and the AG500 though.

How are you finding the AG500 overall?

Overall I find the AG500 just makes things clearer and easier to listen to. There's an improvement even when my Chord QX DAC's powered from the MCRU linear power supply.
Somewhat to my surprise I also find the AG500 helps make sibilance less obvious.

Aug 24, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #1,272 of 2,112
Quote:
Quote:

What do you mean "the price is wrong".....$280 plus shipping seems pretty cheap to me!

Ooppss. there was another one for $1500...Crazy that. The $280 is perfect.

Aug 24, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #1,273 of 2,112
Quote:
Overall I find the AG500 just makes things clearer and easier to listen to. There's an improvement even when my Chord QX DAC's powered from the MCRU linear power supply.
Somewhat to my surprise I also find the AG500 helps make sibilance less obvious.

I also came to find my mains voltage is all over the place, fluctuating in the course of a few days anywhere between 240-256V.
All my devices sound improved with the use of the regen, including the Taboo.

Aug 25, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #1,274 of 2,112
Quote:
Ooppss. there was another one for $1500...Crazy that. The $280 is perfect.

Longbowbbs,  Just to let you know....yesterday I bought a used Jolida 100A  Tube CD Player for $535 shipped.  After reading several reviews, it seemed this might be what I was looking for.  If I find it is, I am thinking I'll buy a new one for a second system since it appears that Jolida has discontinued this model without announcing a replacement.  
It will probably come with the stock tubes... two Chinese 12AX7...if anyone can recommend an upgrade to use, I'm all ears.   Mark.

Aug 25, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #1,275 of 2,112
Nice get for the price Mark! Let us know what you think of it. I would enjoy it for a bit with stock tubes then see what some rolling will do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back