The Decware TABOO MK 111 Thread
Dec 27, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #1,742 of 2,112
  Thanks for insight.  USAF-596, one of these days......
biggrin.gif

Quote:
  I had Mullard EL84's with a Genalex Gold Lion 6922 and a USAF-596 for the Taboo. The CSP2+ had the stock 6N1P and a pair of Genalex Gold Lion's with another USAF-596. Loved it.

I am amazed how that tube has just gone into orbit in cost. I got my first one for $20. Now they are $200 if you can find one.

Dec 27, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #1,743 of 2,112
  It's Friday, lets have some fun.  Friday Night Lights. 

Nice...Maybe it's just the picture? But my Taboo seems to "glow" a lot brighter than the CSP3. Is that the case with everyone who has this combo? Your looks equally bright for both. 

And.. Your question about tubes w/ HD800. CSP3 Philips 5RRGYS, Genelex 6922 in the front and a pair of Cryoset 6N1P. Taboo has RCA 5Y3GT, 6N1P in the front and a pair of Amperex Holland EL84. Pretty good, though I haven't tried a whole lot of rolling though yet with the HD800. Different choices than LCD-3

Dec 27, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #1,744 of 2,112
This thread has been lively lately.  To chime in, my Taboo 3 hums when I crank it up all the way.  I don't know if it's tubes, crappy wiring in my 80 year old building, or something with the Taboo, but I'm not really bothered because I keep it around 15 clicks, or so, and use the CSP3 for volume control.  It's just so tough to troubleshoot given my current situation.

But to be honest, I've only heard one other headphone amp that completely blew me away compared to the Taboo 3, and that was the Cavalli Liquid Gold, and you can buy 3 Taboo 3's for the cost of that beautiful beast.  Others I've heard are very good but also start getting expensive if you want comparable performance.  Given all that, I decided long ago to keep my Taboo 3 and just enjoy it.  All-in-all, my experience has been as expected or better given the early reviews (early reviewers reported the hum) and other info. I considered. 

Also, I'm jealous that none of my tubes looks blue when I photograph it like that
biggrin.gif

Dec 27, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #1,745 of 2,112
I had the Taboo MKII and the brightness is about the same for me but also a lot of the same tubes :)

I don't know much about tubes but I think brightness is more tube-dependent.  I've had some 6922s that are bright and some not so bright.  I had a EML 5U4G that was much brighter than my current 5U4s.  I'm a novice tube roller.

Thanks for the tube suggestions.  The HD800 is a little hot so looking for right tubes to do a little taming.  Will also try cables and various headphone mods.  Other than that I can tell the HD800 does pair well with the CSP/Taboo combo.

Quote:
  Nice...Maybe it's just the picture? But my Taboo seems to "glow" a lot brighter than the CSP3. Is that the case with everyone who has this combo? Your looks equally bright for both. 

And.. Your question about tubes w/ HD800. CSP3 Philips 5RRGYS, Genelex 6922 in the front and a pair of Cryoset 6N1P. Taboo has RCA 5Y3GT, 6N1P in the front and a pair of Amperex Holland EL84. Pretty good, though I haven't tried a whole lot of rolling though yet with the HD800. Different choices than LCD-3

Dec 27, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #1,746 of 2,112
I have only heard a couple lower end tube amps and the Decware by far is the best sounding one.  When I get the itch I sometimes start thinking about new amps but all I have to do is play some music through the Decware amps and it brings me back to reality.  

As for 3 Decware amps vs Cavalli Liquid Gold, I see that you do have a 3 Decware amps....
beerchug.gif

Quote:
  This thread has been lively lately.  To chime in, my Taboo 3 hums when I crank it up all the way.  I don't know if it's tubes, crappy wiring in my 80 year old building, or something with the Taboo, but I'm not really bothered because I keep it around 15 clicks, or so, and use the CSP3 for volume control.  It's just so tough to troubleshoot given my current situation.

But to be honest, I've only heard one other headphone amp that completely blew me away compared to the Taboo 3, and that was the Cavalli Liquid Gold, and you can buy 3 Taboo 3's for the cost of that beautiful beast.  Others I've heard are very good but also start getting expensive if you want comparable performance.  Given all that, I decided long ago to keep my Taboo 3 and just enjoy it.  All-in-all, my experience has been as expected or better given the early reviews (early reviewers reported the hum) and other info. I considered. 

Also, I'm jealous that none of my tubes looks blue when I photograph it like that
biggrin.gif

Dec 27, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #1,747 of 2,112

I have only heard a couple lower end tube amps and the Decware by far is the best sounding one.  When I get the itch I sometimes start thinking about new amps but all I have to do is play some music through the Decware amps and it brings me back to reality.  

As for 3 Decware amps vs Cavalli Liquid Gold, I see that you do have a 3 Decware amps....
beerchug.gif

Wellll, I wouldn't count the phono pre, but touche
biggrin.gif

To my ears the Taboo + CSP3 gives most setups I've heard a run for their money.  I have to admit though, I am curious about how the CSP3 would sound with something like the GSX 2, which I found to be very good (but pricey).  That would still be lots less than the Liquid Au.

Dec 27, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #1,748 of 2,112
Only hum I ever heard (beside when I tried IEMS on it for kicks) from the Taboo MKIII was when I had it over at my sisters house, I attribute it to the wiring in her place, as I have not heard it since.

Dec 27, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #1,749 of 2,112
This could technically be done externally if the right resistors were used.
Mouser # 71-CW005150R0JE73 which is a 150 ohm exactly matches what’s on the inside.  You could go as high a 1K with some phones or IEMs.

Steve said the above. Do you have any idea what he meant with "externally" ? :p 

Dec 27, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #1,750 of 2,112

Mouser # 71-CW005150R0JE73 which is a 150 ohm exactly matches what’s on the inside.  You could go as high a 1K with some phones or IEMs.

Steve said the above. Do you have any idea what he meant with "externally" ? :p 

He meant if you did it yourself or it was done locally rather that at Decware....

Dec 28, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #1,751 of 2,112
If I was outside of EU I would ask Steve to mail me the correct resistors with instructions to have a local technician fix. 

My builder sent me this simple picture with instructions and some resistors to adjust my headphone output to better suit low impedance cans.
Maybe Steve can do something similar for his overseas owners.

This is my little amp: Abraxas Spud by Jef Larson...

Good Luck!

Dec 28, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #1,752 of 2,112
This is what I am trying to do now. 

Steve said something :

Hope this helps!

Steve Deckert

Maybe adding another one of these in series would be ok?

Anyway...humm and all...it is still an excellent amplifier. I stress so much about it because it is so good. After I get this off my head...I will be extremely happy! I just love it. The transparency with it is just amazing!

Dec 28, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #1,753 of 2,112
  This is what I am trying to do now. 

Steve said something :

Maybe adding another one of these in series would be ok?

In my case I could tack another resistor across the existing resistors to change the load but you need to know the equations. 
This way you can return the amp to original spec by snipping out the additional resistors you added.
You need to get exact instructions and specifications from Steve for your amp.

These are the instructions I received to go with image Jef sent of my amp:

In the second pic showing 2 x 330 ohm.
these are the "lift" resistors, which help reduce noise.
These can also be changed, but probably not shorted out.
I suggest leaving existing ones in place and tack solder either another 330 or
a 270 or even a 220 ohm unit across each.
330 will yield 165 ohms.
270 = 148 ohms
220 = 132 ohms (considered about "normal")
1/2 watt resistors are enough. Don't use carbon film here.
I can send you some resistors if you need to take this step.

Again, good luck. 

Dec 28, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #1,754 of 2,112
  In my case I could tack another resistor across the existing resistors to change the load but you need to know the equations. 
This way you can return the amp to original spec by snipping out the additional resistors you added.
You need to get exact instructions and specifications from Steve for your amp.

These are the instructions I received to go with image Jef sent of my amp:

In the second pic showing 2 x 330 ohm.
these are the "lift" resistors, which help reduce noise.
These can also be changed, but probably not shorted out.
I suggest leaving existing ones in place and tack solder either another 330 or
a 270 or even a 220 ohm unit across each.
330 will yield 165 ohms.
270 = 148 ohms
220 = 132 ohms (considered about "normal")
1/2 watt resistors are enough. Don't use carbon film here.
I can send you some resistors if you need to take this step.

Again, good luck. 

It would be just awesome if Steve would give some accurate instructions on the matter. For example specifying what resistors to chose, how and where to put them, maybe in a way to keep the right side(with the single output and 4pin xlr balanced output) with lower gain and the left one with the default gain.

Dec 28, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #1,755 of 2,112

It would be just awesome if Steve would give some accurate instructions on the matter. For example specifying what resistors to chose, how and where to put them, 

Yes, this is what I received from the gentleman who built my amp - and I am not even the original owner!
I think it is reasonable given Decware's lifetime warranty and the obvious risks and costs to ship from overseas...
I suspect Steve does not want to prescribe fixes without investigating the actual unit.
Perhaps you need someone in the US, who has the same issue, to get their amp fixed and inform you the remedy.
Again, Good Luck. I know I would be frustrated in our shoes...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back