The Decware TABOO MK 111 Thread
Sep 9, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #1,336 of 2,115

Wow, that's pretty strange.  Needless to say, DSD's run just fine through my DAC-2 DSD/Taboo.  Really weird.

It's weird beyond my technical understanding.  I am listening to DSD files right now, using TEAC DSD player which put the TEAC in direct DSD mode, not play through PCM like in foobar and my $200 Emotiva sounds 100% perfect.  Unplug RCA and plug it into taboo with everything exactly the same will = loud static noise beyond comprehension.

Also, remember that a lot of player converts DSD files to high rate files and play it over PCM.  Please check if your DAC is in true/direct DSD mode or it's just processing a super high rate PCM.

Sep 9, 2013 at 2:52 AM Post #1,337 of 2,115

It's weird beyond my technical understanding.  I am listening to DSD files right now, using TEAC DSD player which put the TEAC in direct DSD mode, not play through PCM like in foobar and my $200 Emotiva sounds 100% perfect.  Unplug RCA and plug it into taboo with everything exactly the same will = loud static noise beyond comprehension.

Also, remember that a lot of player converts DSD files to high rate files and play it over PCM.  Please check if your DAC is in true/direct DSD mode or it's just processing a super high rate PCM.

DAC-2's display shows whether or not it's in DSD64, DSD128 or somethings else (when it's not DSD's).  I just don't know why, if your DAC is converting the DSD to analog, you would be getting static.  Hopefully you figure it out.  Let us know.

Sep 9, 2013 at 4:33 AM Post #1,338 of 2,115

Mark, one of the nice things about either the Silver Poison or the Silver Widows is the small amount of gold that is in the wire. It negates the general brightness that all silver seems to have and really makes the low end come out nice and clean. I have never considered the HD800's overly bright. Generally when a review suggests this, the rest of the chain is not up to the HD800's in quality. Once you get to the better amps, then the HD800's stay clean. The brightness seems to be a result of the lack of quality they are receiving.

I have listened to both the LCD-2's and HD800's with the Taboo MK III and I prefer the HD800's. I have used a balanced cable for both cans. I did not have SW's for the LCD 2's but I would expect nothing but improved sound from them.

Good luck with your choices!

Eric

Jazz,
Just to add with what LongBow has said.

I have owned the lcd-2's,and the he-6's-I have to say ,that imho,the hd800's are probably ,the finest headphones I've ever owned
I can't understand ,why so many ,find them bright--I do not,not,... with the type of music I listen to ,...mostly classical,,,jazz,70's rock,,,,and lately female vocals.,some opera??
My setup is:
Taboo II > Metrum Octave II.

I totally agree with what's been said here regarding the HD800's. 

Sep 9, 2013 at 5:50 AM Post #1,339 of 2,115

This is NOT a Taboo issue. It is a DAC or DSD file issue. I am playing DSD64 and DSD128 files perfectly (and beautifully) with the Taboo via my Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 DSDse. I would start with your DAC setting and also your DSD playback software's preferences. I had to tweek the settings in Audirvana+ before things played properly.

Did you read my #2?  With the same DSD playback software and preference, I unplugged the RCA cable from the taboo and plugged it into my Emotiva.  Everything sounds perfect.  I've been listening to DSD file from my TEAC 501 amped by the Emotiva for awhile now so no, it's not a DAC, DSD software issue/preferences.  If it were DAC, DSD software issue, the Emotiva will have the same problem.  This is why I am so lost without any possible technical explaination.

I did...I have no idea why you are experiencing these problems. The amp only plays what it receives. My experience is that any file type, when played successfully via the DAC/Pre-amp, come through my Taboo perfectly from either input. 

Sep 9, 2013 at 6:22 AM Post #1,340 of 2,115

Jazz,
Just to add with what LongBow has said.

I have owned the lcd-2's,and the he-6's-I have to say ,that imho,the hd800's are probably ,the finest headphones I've ever owned
I can't understand ,why so many ,find them bright--I do not,not,... with the type of music I listen to ,...mostly classical,,,jazz,70's rock,,,,and lately female vocals.,some opera??
My setup is:
Taboo II > Metrum Octave II.

Here are the tubes I'm currently using:

Sophie 274B--Rectifier
Raytheon 5751 windmill getter---signal tube
JJ 6p15-ev stock tune ---Output tubes

There are a few other tubes that I do sometimes use ,like the Mullards,Siemens Silverplate,and recently a Mazda 12au7 Cifte.

Hope this helps,& good luck.,with the incoming taboo III

Mark, one of the nice things about either the Silver Poison or the Silver Widows is the small amount of gold that is in the wire. It negates the general brightness that all silver seems to have and really makes the low end come out nice and clean. I have never considered the HD800's overly bright. Generally when a review suggests this, the rest of the chain is not up to the HD800's in quality. Once you get to the better amps, then the HD800's stay clean. The brightness seems to be a result of the lack of quality they are receiving.

I have listened to both the LCD-2's and HD800's with the Taboo MK III and I prefer the HD800's. I have used a balanced cable for both cans. I did not have SW's for the LCD 2's but I would expect nothing but improved sound from them.

Good luck with your choices!

Eric

Thanks everyone for your input.  I think I'll give the HD 800's a shot but wouldn't ever give up the LCD 2.2s......well maybe for a LCD 3...hehe.  Nothing wrong with two flavors...right?  I have a question in to Frank of Toxic Cables to see if he could make a Silver Widow adapter so I could use my LCD SWs with the HD 800s.  I'm not sure I'm ready to spend another $490 for a second dedicated set for the HD 800s.

mikek200,  I've got a pair of those Raytheon's coming today for use in my Jolida CDP but before they go in I think I'll try one in the taboo as you are.  Is it really a 5751 if it isn't a triple mica but rather a 2 mica with a "windmill".  Below is what I read at "Joe's tube lore" on this tube.  Thanks, Mark.

"Raytheon - Well this guy is one of the happy surprises on the list. I first stumbled on him about a year ago and lived quite happily with a pair in the Thor until I finally found some of the killer Sylvanias. The great thing about this tube beyond its sound quality is its availability, but more on that later. The strength of this tube is its overall balance. Its got the 5751 sense of focus in spades, is clean, open and evenhanded in frequency response if just a little sweet on top. As a result it has just a bit less life and energy than some of the premium Sylvanias and even the GE black plate. Its also a bit less forward in terms of where it puts the performers in the soundstage compared to those tubes - but I still wouldn't call it laid back. Availability on this guy is pretty good. Tube world has been selling these for the past several months, SND has had them in the past as well, and a pair or two are on auction at ebay every few weeks. Price? Usually $15 to $18 a tube. I'd definitely track down a pair of these if I were playing around with 5751s...
In my part 3 installation above, I identified the Raytheon as a 3 mica spacer design. It is in fact a 2 mica spacer with a "windmill" getter that looks more than a bit like a 3 spacer design on quick glance - I should have checked closer." 

Sep 9, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #1,341 of 2,115
  Guys,

I really need help.  I got a huge problem with the taboo and so baffled that I couldn't think of a reason why this is happening.
I was going through my music collection one by one when I decided to put some DSD tracks on and see how fabulous it would sound from my DSD Teac 501 and the taboo.
All I got was loud static noise from both channels on top of music.  I have tried the following.

• Within the same TEAC media (DSD) player, play a regular wave file.  This = no noise, perfect sound. So interconnect is not the issue here.  I've listened the entire evening with same interconnects.
  • Same TEAC media player, play a DSD track.  This = loud static noise again.  I disconnect RCA's output from the Taboo and plug it into my Emotiva mini-X.  This = perfect sound (still same DSD track playing).

Also, the noise got very loud beyond click #12 on the volume knob while not as loud at click #11, and at click #10, it's barely audible.  What the heck could be going on?
I can't think of anything and don't want to bug Steve until Monday morning.

Any help/advise/input would be appreciated.

Do you get this with all DSD tracks or just tracks from a particular album? I don't have a problem playing DSD tracks from my Chord QX on my Taboo Mk3 so this has me puzzled.

Sep 9, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #1,342 of 2,115

Do you get this with all DSD tracks or just tracks from a particular album? I don't have a problem playing DSD tracks from my Chord QX on my Taboo Mk3 so this has me puzzled.

All DSD tracks were played from same TEAC dsd player software and from different albums.  Not a single issue with my Emotiva on which I've been listening to these DSD files until I receive my taboo last Friday.  I tried different DSD players last nite, including jriver and foobar.  They suffered the same issue.  Note that I am playing DSD in direct mode in which the DAC is processing the DSD data natively, not letting the dsd player sofware convert DSD to PCM and play as high rate PCM on the DAC.s

The other thing is that at click 8 or 9 on the volume know, the noise is barely audible.  At click #11 or #12, the noise is as loud as the music which is very scary.

I am puzzled as well and waiting for a reply from Steve.

Sep 9, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #1,343 of 2,115
  All DSD tracks were played from same TEAC dsd player software and from different albums.  Not a single issue with my Emotiva on which I've been listening to these DSD files until I receive my taboo last Friday.  I tried different DSD players last nite, including jriver and foobar.  They suffered the same issue.  Note that I am playing DSD in direct mode in which the DAC is processing the DSD data natively, not letting the dsd player sofware convert DSD to PCM and play as high rate PCM on the DAC.s

The other thing is that at click 8 or 9 on the volume know, the noise is barely audible.  At click #11 or #12, the noise is as loud as the music which is very scary.

I am puzzled as well and waiting for a reply from Steve.

If you reached out to Steve via email, it might take a bit.  I'd definitely try calling Sarah (or Devon) about this.  She'll put Steve on the phone.  I can assure you that direct DSD playing works just fine on the Taboo, provided of course you have a DAC that can support DSD's, which it seems you do.

Sep 9, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #1,344 of 2,115
  If you reached out to Steve via email, it might take a bit.  I'd definitely try calling Sarah (or Devon) about this.  She'll put Steve on the phone.  I can assure you that direct DSD playing works just fine on the Taboo, provided of course you have a DAC that can support DSD's, which it seems you do.

Thx OPR8R,  I will call when I have a moment.  I brought the whole set up to the office this morning to try on my system at work.  So far, same problem.
I downloaded a new TEAC DSD player but it didn't make any different.  From the TEAC 501 to my cheapo Fiio E9K = no problem just like with the Emotiva at home.
I am so puzzled.

Sep 9, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #1,345 of 2,115

Thanks everyone for your input.  I think I'll give the HD 800's a shot but wouldn't ever give up the LCD 2.2s......well maybe for a LCD 3...hehe.  Nothing wrong with two flavors...right?  I have a question in to Frank of Toxic Cables to see if he could make a Silver Widow adapter so I could use my LCD SWs with the HD 800s.  I'm not sure I'm ready to spend another $490 for a second dedicated set for the HD 800s.

mikek200,  I've got a pair of those Raytheon's coming today for use in my Jolida CDP but before they go in I think I'll try one in the taboo as you are.  Is it really a 5751 if it isn't a triple mica but rather a 2 mica with a "windmill".  Below is what I read at "Joe's tube lore" on this tube.  Thanks, Mark.

"Raytheon - Well this guy is one of the happy surprises on the list. I first stumbled on him about a year ago and lived quite happily with a pair in the Thor until I finally found some of the killer Sylvanias. The great thing about this tube beyond its sound quality is its availability, but more on that later. The strength of this tube is its overall balance. Its got the 5751 sense of focus in spades, is clean, open and evenhanded in frequency response if just a little sweet on top. As a result it has just a bit less life and energy than some of the premium Sylvanias and even the GE black plate. Its also a bit less forward in terms of where it puts the performers in the soundstage compared to those tubes - but I still wouldn't call it laid back. Availability on this guy is pretty good. Tube world has been selling these for the past several months, SND has had them in the past as well, and a pair or two are on auction at ebay every few weeks. Price? Usually $15 to $18 a tube. I'd definitely track down a pair of these if I were playing around with 5751s...
In my part 3 installation above, I identified the Raytheon as a 3 mica spacer design. It is in fact a 2 mica spacer with a "windmill" getter that looks more than a bit like a 3 spacer design on quick glance - I should have checked closer." 

Here is the Raytheon I have:

5751 Raytheon blackplate windmill getter, Premium industrial grade 12AX7.--it stays on my Taboo 90% of the time--Brent Jesse is selling them for about $125.00 each
Check his website.
To my ears,they are an exceptional tube

Nick Dangerous,recommended a few tubes to me ,and they have proven to be outstanding choices.
Sylvania JHS 5751 black 3 -mica
Sylvania 5751 yellow label,3-mica

Another one ,you might consider is :
GE 3-mica 5751 D-Getter

Sep 9, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #1,346 of 2,115
Update on my DSD problem :

I talked to Steve today and he happens to have the exact same DAC (Teac ud501) that he plays his DSD files through in the exact same way I do; comp> TEAC DSD Player>Teac ud501 in direct DSD mode>taboo.  How cool is that?  Steve took the time to hook everything up just to verify his TEAC DAC with a sample Taboo he has on the floor.  He didn't have the noise problem like I do.  So he suggested that I might have a defective TEAC DAC. 
I already contacted Amazon and have the replacement unit coming on Wednesday.  Until then, let's wait and see.  I do hope that it's the DAC causing the problem even though it's very interesting how the problem doesn't exist with my 2 other amps, only with the taboo.  I'll keep you guys posted on Wednesday when I find out.

Sep 9, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #1,347 of 2,115
  Update on my DSD problem :

I talked to Steve today and he happens to have the exact same DAC (Teac ud501) that he plays his DSD files through in the exact same way I do; comp> TEAC DSD Player>Teac ud501 in direct DSD mode>taboo.  How cool is that?  Steve took the time to hook everything up just to verify his TEAC DAC with a sample Taboo he has on the floor.  He didn't have the noise problem like I do.  So he suggested that I might have a defective TEAC DAC. 
I already contacted Amazon and have the replacement unit coming on Wednesday.  Until then, let's wait and see.  I do hope that it's the DAC causing the problem even though it's very interesting how the problem doesn't exist with my 2 other amps, only with the taboo.  I'll keep you guys posted on Wednesday when I find out.

Wednesday's not too bad.  Good luck.

By the way, I think TEAC did a really nice job on the design of that line of devices.

Sep 9, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #1,348 of 2,115

By the way, I think TEAC did a really nice job on the design of that line of devices.

I agree 100%.  Can't wait till Wed to find out which piece is the problem in this situation, taboo or TEAC.  I am afraid it's a 50/50 at this point cuz DSDs have been playing fine from the DAC feeding into my Emotiva and E9K.  But as Steve said, TEAC 501 is a very complicated machine.  Being a handbuilt product, the taboo does have higher room for error.  I just finished building a bottlehead crack yesterday.  I know exactly how easy it is to make a mistake.

Sep 9, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #1,349 of 2,115

I agree 100%.  Can't wait till Wed to find out which piece is the problem in this situation, taboo or TEAC.  I am afraid it's a 50/50 at this point cuz DSDs have been playing fine from the DAC feeding into my Emotiva and E9K.  But as Steve said, TEAC 501 is a very complicated machine.  Being a handbuilt product, the taboo does have higher room for error.  I just finished building a bottlehead crack yesterday.  I know exactly how easy it is to make a mistake.

Sometimes two pieces of gear just don't work together. Glad my DAC-2 is happy with my Decware!

I hope you get things resolved soon.

Sep 9, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #1,350 of 2,115

Sometimes two pieces of gear just don't work together. Glad my DAC-2 is happy with my Decware!

I hope you get things resolved soon.

Me too!  After talking to Steve, I felt better cuz I know the taboo/TEAC 501 DSD DAC will work because that's what Steve has too and did verify today that it should not be an issue.  I like both a lot at this point so choosing between the 2 will be tough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back