The Decware TABOO MK 111 Thread
Aug 31, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #1,306 of 2,115
Taboo goes big.  Never really knew the efficiency of my vintage Pioneer CS-99 because the SX-1010 powered them with ease.  Turns out they are around 98 dB/watt.  Pretty efficient.  Hooked up the Taboo and viola.  Taboo drives them well and not much to complain about.  Plenty of detail and transparency coming through.  Excellent for low level listening as well.  Definitely not high end speakers but not low end either 
tongue.gif
.  Good color match too.

Sep 1, 2013 at 4:12 AM Post #1,307 of 2,115
^ Yes good color and style match. It all looks sort of understated vintage - until you get to the Ciunas DAC! :wink:

Sep 1, 2013 at 6:09 AM Post #1,308 of 2,115
Nice system WNBC!

Sep 1, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #1,309 of 2,115
Thanks,  always fun when you can use existing equipment for new purposes.  Maybe I'll find a wood enclosure for the Ciunas to make it look more retro 
wink.gif
CS-99 will do until I can manage to get another pair of Blumenstein's but this time in maple.  

Curious to see what their ultra-fi lineup will be....
http://blumenstein-ultra-fi.com

Quote:
^ Yes good color and style match. It all looks sort of understated vintage - until you get to the Ciunas DAC!
wink.gif

Quote:
Nice system WNBC!

Sep 1, 2013 at 6:51 AM Post #1,310 of 2,115
I would love to hear the Blumenstein's. I am curious to hear what those small drivers can do.

Sep 1, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #1,311 of 2,115
If you ever make a trip out to the Pacific NW they're open to having you hear their speakers with no pressure to buy.  They are built out of a shop in West Seattle.  I was hooked when I heard them in person and bought a pair on the spot.  Wish I had kept my pair but I went the full portable route for a period of time.  They were in natural bamboo.  I would want maple now anyway 
wink.gif

I was happy without a sub but some might want a little more punch at the low end.  No problems for my main listening genre of jazz.  They make a sub as well.  Blumensteins have wonderful timbre and imaging.  Their natural tone floored the buyer of my Blumensteins.  Guy was in awe and he had some electrostatic speakers.  They will reveal as much detail your amp can put out.  It's basically a headphone experience without headphones.  Really intimate.  Easy to get lost with those speakers.  

End of the line for me:  CSP3 + Alpha Dogs + Blumenstein speakers.  Occasional tube stocking stuffer too. 

Quote:
I would love to hear the Blumenstein's. I am curious to hear what those small drivers can do.

Sep 1, 2013 at 7:29 AM Post #1,312 of 2,115
You're going to have a nice end game system there. I don't know when I would be in Seattle, but it would be a fun trip to visit their store/factory. I'd probably drop by Bottlehead as well just for fun.

Sep 1, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #1,313 of 2,115
Speaking of speakers, I tried Parker Audio again and this time got an immediate reply (David Dutill) and a fast series of follow-ups to my questions. I'm not looking to replace my main speaker system, just to find a capable home office partner for the taboo. Their baby speakers the 92dB Trolls fit the bill for desktop and/or small room use.

I've definitely decided to try these but meantime got interested in the BMC PureDAC. Has to be one or the other this year! If I opt for the speakers I'll certainly post a mini-review when the time comes.

Sep 1, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #1,314 of 2,115
Quote:
Speaking of speakers, I tried Parker Audio again and this time got an immediate reply (David Dutill) and a fast series of follow-ups to my questions. I'm not looking to replace my main speaker system, just to find a capable home office partner for the taboo. Their baby speakers the 92dB Trolls fit the bill for desktop and/or small room use.

I've definitely decided to try these but meantime got interested in the BMC PureDAC. Has to be one or the other this year! If I opt for the speakers I'll certainly post a mini-review when the time comes.

Andre, the DM945's are terrific with the Taboo. They are beautiful too. Great fit and finish as you would expect from Decware.

Sep 1, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #1,315 of 2,115
Eric, I forgot about those! More to think about... :D

Sep 1, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #1,316 of 2,115
They do sound sweet. I have them here hooked up the the Taboo....

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #1,317 of 2,115
I've been doing a little tube rolling. I'm now running with a Telefunken E88CC/6922 up front. Overall I think it favours the HD800's a little more giving the system a bit more clarity and depth.
Yet to try are one of several pairs of matched EL84's that I've had for years. They were from Chelmer Valve here in the UK and that's all I know about them.

Sep 5, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #1,318 of 2,115
Hi guys,

My taboo is coming tmr.  Quick question for current taboo MKIII owners.  Will there be any difference if I hook up my HE500 to the speaker outputs vs. the 4pin XLR, in term of power, noise, and sound quality ?  Headphone outs on the taboo should come from the same source as speaker outs with probably resistors in line or something??? Thx.

Sep 5, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #1,320 of 2,115

Users who are viewing this thread

Back