The Decware TABOO MK 111 Thread
Aug 27, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #1,291 of 2,115
Quote:

I keep checking Ebay for 596 tubes.  When they show up they go fast, and they're not cheap.

+1...You have to jump quick on those bad boys.

Aug 28, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #1,292 of 2,115
Quote:

If I sell the Taboo in about 6 months I may have one or two of those to sell. One NOS I will keep. :)

The Sylvania 274B arrived today and is playing in the rig. It's not the WE, but a milspec Sylvania. Dated 01 - 1943. I just realized this tube is actually from the 2nd world war times. It seems to be within perfect NOS condition aestetically and functionally.

I will give it a good burn-in before commenting, but so far it's looking good. :) We'll see how it all pans out in a few days.

Aug 28, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #1,294 of 2,115
Not decided to sell yet, but if I do I will leave a msg here. I am enjoying the Taboo a lot with electrostats and speakers at the moment. Funny as that is, as it wasn't the main reasons I bought it. :)

Aug 28, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #1,295 of 2,115
Quote:
Not decided to sell yet, but if I do I will leave a msg here. I am enjoying the Taboo a lot with electrostats and speakers at the moment. Funny as that is, as it wasn't the main reasons I bought it. :)

Negura,

How is the electrostats with the Taboo
I friend of mine is getting one of the stax--think its the 007,and is having a amp custom built
Very serious  dollars.

Is it ok ,if I have him PM you?

Aug 28, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #1,296 of 2,115
Quote:
Negura,

How is the electrostats with the Taboo
I friend of mine is getting one of the stax--think its the 007,and is having a amp custom built
Very serious  dollars.

Is it ok ,if I have him PM you?

Sure np. However I can't comment on any comparison with proper high-end electrostatic amplifiers. I am on the sidelines at the moment trying to decide whether to pull the trigger on one of the end game electrostatic amplifiers. The Taboo hasn't made that any easier for me. In fact knowing there's a Tor II MKIV and a Mystery amp out there makes things more complicated. :) The SR007s are my favorite headphones out of the bunch at the moment both subjectively and objectively with the Taboo and Woo Wee. Compared to the LCD-3s and HD800s. With the latter two I always felt something's is missing with one of them, that the other one was giving me. And not only with the Taboo. I am not feeling that with the SR007s.

Aug 28, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #1,297 of 2,115
Quote:
Quote:

If I sell the Taboo in about 6 months I may have one or two of those to sell. One NOS I will keep. :)

The Sylvania 274B arrived today and is playing in the rig. It's not the WE, but a milspec Sylvania. Dated 01 - 1943. I just realized this tube is actually from the 2nd world war times. It seems to be within perfect NOS condition aestetically and functionally.

I will give it a good burn-in before commenting, but so far it's looking good. :) We'll see how it all pans out in a few days.

Fortunately, I have 2 backup 596's to go with the pair I am using now....Whew.....

Aug 30, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #1,298 of 2,115
It seems the walnut base backup has cleared.  My ZP3 and CSP3 have shipped.  Excitement is building.

Aug 31, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #1,299 of 2,115
Quote:
It seems the walnut base backup has cleared.  My ZP3 and CSP3 have shipped.  Excitement is building.

My taboo is in shipping too.  Can't wait either.

Aug 31, 2013 at 4:14 AM Post #1,300 of 2,115
Quote:
My taboo is in shipping too.  Can't wait either.

beerchug.gif

Aug 31, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #1,301 of 2,115
Congrats everyone. Can't wait to hear your impressions!

popcorn.gif

Aug 31, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #1,302 of 2,115
I take back what I said about the lucid modes recently, as I'm discovering some albums that really benefit from new lucid mode.  It generally doesn't work with busy music, but some folky stuff with a limited number of instruments can sound great with it on.  Right now I'm listening to the recent Calexico album and new lucid mode gives it a very pleasant forward presentation on the HD800s.  Doesn't sound 'weird' like it does on some albums.  

Aug 31, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #1,303 of 2,115
Quote:
I take back what I said about the lucid modes recently, as I'm discovering some albums that really benefit from new lucid mode.  It generally doesn't work with busy music, but some folky stuff with a limited number of instruments can sound great with it on.  Right now I'm listening to the recent Calexico album and new lucid mode gives it a very pleasant forward presentation on the HD800s.  Doesn't sound 'weird' like it does on some albums.  

When I was at Decware Steve and talked about Lucid mode. He said it really shined best with more intimate performances. 

Aug 31, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #1,304 of 2,115
When I was at Decware Steve and talked about Lucid mode. He said it really shined best with more intimate performances. 

Exactly what I've found- and it works very very well for such recordings. The thing that's nice about it is it sounds very natural and real. Not a cheap "digital processing" type of feel. Then the flipside is recordings it does not work well with- then it just sounds plain crazy.

I can't believe that effect is possible with the relatively small amount of parts inside the amplifier. Pretty amazing.

Aug 31, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #1,305 of 2,115
+1. Was listening to my Taboo II quietly with speakers yesterday. Normal lucid of course. Amazing how it separates and localizes instruments and performers compared to stereo mode with - yes - smaller ensembles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back