The Custom Art's Flagship - Harmony 8 and 8pro CIEM - discussion thread
May 18, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #17 of 519
  I had a quick listen to someone else's custom Harmony, so take these impressions with a grain of salt, as the sound will be different from what it'd sound like with a truly-customized fit.

Overall, it sounds very nice; quite organic and cohesive. It's not an "ultimate neutrality" kind of sound, though, so strike those notions from your heads. Basically, it has a somewhat relaxed treble shelf, just without roll-off, so the treble ends up sounding more like that of the RE-262 (a bit more presence than the 262, though). It seems designed for zero harshness, while preserving a lot of intrinsic detail. Overall, the midrange is warm, with slightly (and I really do mean just slightly) relaxed upper-mids, but has very good presence and transparency. What really makes the Harmony stand out, however, is that from the lower midrange down, it's so composed and resolving. The woofers achieve a kind of layering and texture that is truly on TOTL level. At the same time, while it does have a little bit of bass shelf elevation, it's measured and controlled, and I doubt it'd ever feel overwhelming for anyone, even so-called "bass haters" like me (that's really a misnomer). If I had to characterize the Harmony in terms of CA's other products, I'd say it possesses the tonal balance of the Music series, but the separation and transient speed of the Pro series. Vocals are a hybrid of the two.

So would you recommend for classical lovers? And if possible, can you compare that with his domestic brand's flagship - SE5way in terms of resolution, bass, mid, treble, soundstage, imaging, etc? Thanks a lot.

May 19, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #19 of 519
Thanks for the impression Tom. How do their lows and mids hold up agaisnt that of the TG334, or any product of FitEar you can recall? 

May 19, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #22 of 519
  Thanks for the impression Tom. How do their lows and mids hold up agaisnt that of the TG334, or any product of FitEar you can recall? 

I like the lows a lot better than those of the TG334 (and even the demo MH334); it's some of the best bass I've heard in a while.

As for the mids, my personal opinion is that the 334 manages this "perfect balance" of upper mids to lower mids, and that's why it does so well with head-fiers; it's hard to really compare without a direct A/B test. I'd say that personally, I crave just a tiny bit more in the upper mids with the Harmony, but not a huge amount. Center imaging on the Harmony is superior to the 334, though. It's close to the quality of the JH13FP center imaging IIRC.

Again, you need some of this with these impressions.

May 19, 2014 at 6:24 AM Post #23 of 519

I like the lows a lot better than those of the TG334 (and even the demo MH334); it's some of the best bass I've heard in a while.

As for the mids, my personal opinion is that the 334 manages this "perfect balance" of upper mids to lower mids, and that's why it does so well with head-fiers; it's hard to really compare without a direct A/B test. I'd say that personally, I crave just a tiny bit more in the upper mids with the Harmony, but not a huge amount. Center imaging on the Harmony is superior to the 334, though. It's close to the quality of the JH13FP center imaging IIRC.

Again, you need some of this with these impressions.

Thanks. So you are saying that their imaging can come close to that of the JH13FP? That's really cool!

May 19, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #24 of 519
  Thanks. So you are saying that their imaging can come close to that of the JH13FP? That's really cool!

Well, it's not as razor sharp and holographic as the 13FP, but I actually find that kind of presentation too aggressive for my tastes, so I find the Harmony more "reasonable".

Mostly, it's with the center imaging, where vocals just come across as big and planted and has the ability to stand out suspended "in front" of the rest of the instrumentals. I found that the Nuforce Primo 8 also had a bit of that quality as well, and it also has a flat phase tuning.

May 19, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #25 of 519

Well, it's not as razor sharp and holographic as the 13FP, but I actually find that kind of presentation too aggressive for my tastes, so I find the Harmony more "reasonable".

Mostly, it's with the center imaging, where vocals just come across as big and planted and has the ability to stand out suspended "in front" of the rest of the instrumentals. I found that the Nuforce Primo 8 also had a bit of that quality as well, and it also has a flat phase tuning.

Isn't that what we call forward/upfront vocal? Personally I found the JH13FP's vocal more laidback than most IEM out there and that piqued my interest when you brought them up for comparing with the Harmony. 

May 19, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #27 of 519

Really? I found the JH13FP to be very upfront with its vocals. Everything was pressed close to my ears.

That's interesting. Anyways thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back