The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Jan 21, 2024 at 6:28 PM Post #5,011 of 5,314
When I had a 1A I looked at the price of the mod and it was the same price, or more with shipping, than the sale price on a new WM1Z. Covid had driven shipping prices high, and there were also significant delays and a backlog in our courier system, with talk of thefts so I wasn't willing to risk it. Another thing that put me off was that nc800 had a battery leak - I understand it was an unfortunate incident and the quality of the mods is outstanding, but it was another factor to consider. (sure it could happen to a new device but it would have been faster replacement without having to pay import duties again).
I just got back from Japan and saw quite a few used WM1A at e earphone. If I ever get some extra funds to play with I may get one and go for the mod, and potentially sell my 1Z if it knocks my socks off. Otherwise I have a pride and satisfaction in owning a stock WM1Z.

Jan 21, 2024 at 6:38 PM Post #5,012 of 5,314
When I had a 1A I looked at the price of the mod and it was the same price, or more with shipping, than the sale price on a new WM1Z. Covid had driven shipping prices high, and there were also significant delays and a backlog in our courier system, with talk of thefts so I wasn't willing to risk it. Another thing that put me off was that nc800 had a battery leak - I understand it was an unfortunate incident and the quality of the mods is outstanding, but it was another factor to consider. (sure it could happen to a new device but it would have been faster replacement without having to pay import duties again).
I just got back from Japan and saw quite a few used WM1A at e earphone. If I ever get some extra funds to play with I may get one and go for the mod, and potentially sell my 1Z if it knocks my socks off. Otherwise I have a pride and satisfaction in owning a stock WM1Z.
I'd personally rather invest the money into an M2. There is an significant improvement in sound and in most areas (almost all) even the A-Version beats an WM1Z.

If you want to mod an WM1A, feel free to do so, just saying that you could invest the money into an potentially bigger upgrade

Jan 21, 2024 at 7:11 PM Post #5,013 of 5,314
I'd personally rather invest the money into an M2. There is an significant improvement in sound and in most areas (almost all) even the A-Version beats an WM1Z.

If you want to mod an WM1A, feel free to do so, just saying that you could invest the money into an potentially bigger upgrade
I had literally a 2 minute demo of both recently at e earphone, I was in a hurry and had my intentions on other purchases but didn't want to pass on the opportunity of having the experience of at least having one in my hand. I didn't compare with my 1Z but could potentially see what you are saying.
The issue for me with the new models is that they are larger and heavier (1ZM2) and it would be a stretch for my small hands. The 1A/1Z are a perfect fit and we'll balanced, but still I have a deep anxiety of having an awkward moment with a pricey dap. The other factor is that I like, and benefit from simplicity ie. the Sony OS. I just got the Android-based A306 for work/portability and as much as I am embracing a change and getting added use from podcasts, audiobooks etc, the research and time to streamline the settings is something that makes me appreciate the Sony OS more.

Jan 22, 2024 at 1:41 AM Post #5,014 of 5,314

Respectfully agree to disagree. I prefer the sound of the original WM1Z, as do several people I've recently spoken to who are currently demoing the M2. There's going to be a run on used originals soon because they're becoming very hard to find. Sony really managed to botch up the Android implementation on the M2, which is also brighter and more 'digital' sounding than the original, which, admittedly, many people also prefer.

Jan 22, 2024 at 2:09 AM Post #5,015 of 5,314
Respectfully agree to disagree. I prefer the sound of the original WM1Z, as do several people I've recently spoken to who are currently demoing the M2. There's going to be a run on used originals soon because they're becoming very hard to find. Sony really managed to botch up the Android implementation on the M2, which is also brighter and more 'digital' sounding than the original, which, admittedly, many people also prefer.

Agree with @gLer , the M2 didn't sound as great to me compared with the Mr Walkman mod installed on WM1Z/WM1A. Sounds quite digital. YMMV.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2024 at 3:11 AM Post #5,016 of 5,314
man i need to get a modded wm1a at some point

i mean , i like how the 1a sounds as is , clocked more than 10,000 hours of usage and this little ****er is still going strong

impressive build by SONY

Jan 22, 2024 at 3:36 AM Post #5,017 of 5,314
Then the shipping price would have had to be well over $1000 if that plus the price of the mod would have exceeded the new price of a 1Z. To me the modded device is better than the stock 1Z though only by fallible memory as I never had them at the same time to do a propper comparison. And yes Steve had a bad batch of batteries that leaked and destroyed the board so he had to get a replacement board in and redo the mod which he did at no cost to me and this is still going strong after 3 1/2 years now

Jan 22, 2024 at 3:53 AM Post #5,018 of 5,314
Then the shipping price would have had to be well over $1000 if that plus the price of the mod would have exceeded the new price of a 1Z. To me the modded device is better than the stock 1Z though only by fallible memory as I never had them at the same time to do a propper comparison. And yes Steve had a bad batch of batteries that leaked and destroyed the board so he had to get a replacement board in and redo the mod which he did at no cost to me and this is still going strong after 3 1/2 years now
I said sale price, also I was factoring in me selling my WM1A. I got my new WM1Z when the price dropped when the new models were released - I paid AU$2470. The current mod price is around AU$1500, covid shipping to UK was around $100. Also from reading local forums there was a good chance I'd pay $250+ at customs as I'd probably lose the battle proving it was only mod work.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2024 at 9:33 AM Post #5,019 of 5,314
Hi all, stopping by here as I have quite nice offer for a used WM1A (OG aka Mk1).
Last time I didn't think about WM1A as BT receiver so I can stream the streaming apps (spotify and apple music) through LDAC codec.

The question is the Mr Walkman firmware have good BT receiver functionality as original sony firmware, as I heard there are some issues with BT function with Mr Walkman Firmware? I'm planning to use the WM1A (with Mr Walkman firmware) as BT receiver with LDAC codec from my phone.

And is it possible to go back to sony original firmware if the BT functionality don't work as good as the original firmware?

I admit I didn't read all the posts here and the previous thread since there are hundreds / thousands of posts, but I have read some that don't have problem with streaming.

Thanks in advance guys

Jan 22, 2024 at 10:18 AM Post #5,020 of 5,314
Hi all, stopping by here as I have quite nice offer for a used WM1A (OG aka Mk1).
Last time I didn't think about WM1A as BT receiver so I can stream the streaming apps (spotify and apple music) through LDAC codec.

The question is the Mr Walkman firmware have good BT receiver functionality as original sony firmware, as I heard there are some issues with BT function with Mr Walkman Firmware? I'm planning to use the WM1A (with Mr Walkman firmware) as BT receiver with LDAC codec from my phone.

And is it possible to go back to sony original firmware if the BT functionality don't work as good as the original firmware?

I admit I didn't read all the posts here and the previous thread since there are hundreds / thousands of posts, but I have read some that don't have problem with streaming.

Thanks in advance guys
I’m not aware that there are any more issues with BT reciever in WalkmanOne than there is in stock fw but it has been a long time since I last used it. You can easily revert to stock fw if you for any reason don’t like WalkmanOne

Jan 22, 2024 at 10:28 AM Post #5,021 of 5,314
I’m not aware that there are any more issues with BT reciever in WalkmanOne than there is in stock fw but it has been a long time since I last used it. You can easily revert to stock fw if you for any reason don’t like WalkmanOne
So the BT receiver mode with LDAC works flawlessly with MrWalkman One on any setting? Thanks a lot

Jan 22, 2024 at 10:57 AM Post #5,022 of 5,314
So the BT receiver mode with LDAC works flawlessly with MrWalkman One on any setting? Thanks a lot
I’ve just tried again (though with aac not ldac as I only have iOS devices) and it works fine, however I now recall one issue and that is that the screen has to stay on, as soon as the screen turns of the connection cuts out. I can’t recall if this is related to a specific setting in the settings file or is for all settings

Jan 22, 2024 at 6:04 PM Post #5,023 of 5,314
I’ve just tried again (though with aac not ldac as I only have iOS devices) and it works fine, however I now recall one issue and that is that the screen has to stay on, as soon as the screen turns of the connection cuts out. I can’t recall if this is related to a specific setting in the settings file or is for all settings
This happens with Plus mode turned on. Simply turn off plus mode (I use hold button) and there shouldn’t be any issue with the BT receiver

Jan 22, 2024 at 9:04 PM Post #5,024 of 5,314
This happens with Plus mode turned on. Simply turn off plus mode (I use hold button) and there shouldn’t be any issue with the BT receiver
THanks for the info. What is actually Plus mode (V1 and V2) do aside from less consuming battery?

Jan 22, 2024 at 9:31 PM Post #5,025 of 5,314
You’ll have to try it out yourself :D according to the mod’s info:
Plus v1" - a different flavor of the normal chosen sound signature;
"Plus v2" - usually better than the Plus v1 mode, and it also consumes less battery;
"Normal" - provides the normal chosen sound signature;
So it may sound better or worse than normal. simply install the mod fw, and flipping between the modes is just as simple as toggling the hold button while the player is booting

Users who are viewing this thread

Back