The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Sep 3, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #2,071 of 5,322
I knew it. Probably a version of early firmware. Not saying it’s going to be exactly right even if you can have them update to 3.01, but in many ways it’s an improvement over the 1A. The other thing is you may have listened to the 1A so much that it may take time to like the TA? Most likely the extra smoothness was older software, it will change a little.
But the DMP struck me with a long-lasting impression

Sep 3, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #2,072 of 5,322
Does the MrWalkman firmware improve the 1Z or is its sole purpose to try and bring the 1A to the 1Z sound?
Yes it does. I'm running Midnight v2, Project Z Tuning, Plus v2 and Alternate DAC mode. And it does improve it, specially the Plus V2 and Alternate DAC mode.

Sep 3, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #2,073 of 5,322
Yes, some have gone “all out” to procure various album covers to match the missing album album cover artwork. Me on the other hand have not even started to look for covers, as I really don’t care. I have a couple albums which have fallen into the “unknown” hi-res album section, but it’s nothing to worry about. Like I have a “needle drop” which is a DSD 5.6 MHz file which just sits in “unknown” hi-res......... such cases are few and far between. The thing is if I put my big memory card from the 1Z to the 1A, it’s exactly the same. Most of my music is FLAC, ALAC or hi-res. Actually I have a fair amount of hi-res, which just sits in the hi-res area and can be found by album title. I mostly listen to whole albums, so? All is fine. Actually never is something lost. Though surprisingly there are other ways of listening to music with the players, that I never use. But when I do I find stuff in strange ways like 1) Genre 2) Composer 3) Year. I would be surprised to find people who rely on 1) Genre or 3) Year?

I don’t use the SensMe Channels, never Playlists. I use Recent Transfers, Folders and Hi-Res only 99% of the time.

I'm the guy who physically scanned 242 disc sleeves from my Herbert von Karajan box sets because I wasn't satisfied by the versions available online (and then cleaned them up with photoshop). So... yeah :)

I figured, if I'm paying a premium for the larger screen over the ZX300, I'm going to utilize it to its fullest!

CD1a.jpg

20210903_133252.JPG

This photo doesn't do it justice btw, it's far closer to the original above to the eye.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #2,074 of 5,322
But the DMP struck me with a long-lasting impression
I get your point. You instantly “LOVED” the DMP-Z1! And you kept thinking about it. Haha........ Maybe the DMP-Z1 is a whole different animal from the TA. I never heard the DMP-Z1. It must be special.

Sep 3, 2021 at 10:14 PM Post #2,075 of 5,322
New update, specifically for the WM1A.

Why WM1A only? This version is made to further bridge the gap between a WM1A and WM1Z. Now, a WM1A running Midnight v2 (for 1A) will sound the closest ever to a WM1Z running Midnight v2 (with both using the same options in the settings file and the same external tuning).

Next to come will be a firmware just to get the 1Z sound on a 1A, as Midnight is a combination of WM1Z and DMP-Z1 sound characteristics and not just the 1Z sound.

Sep 5, 2021 at 10:50 PM Post #2,076 of 5,322
Would buying a WM1A and getting say the Nayparm mod and running Midnight or Dawn bring it close enough to the WM1Z that it would be more value oriented? I can afford both easily and have money set aside but with the things people have come up with that improve the 1Z do people that own either think that its worth it or do the mods etc make the 1A punch above its weight class in terms of value?

Sep 6, 2021 at 12:12 AM Post #2,077 of 5,322
Would buying a WM1A and getting say the Nayparm mod and running Midnight or Dawn bring it close enough to the WM1Z that it would be more value oriented? I can afford both easily and have money set aside but with the things people have come up with that improve the 1Z do people that own either think that its worth it or do the mods etc make the 1A punch above its weight class in terms of value?
Good question.

Sep 6, 2021 at 2:46 AM Post #2,078 of 5,322
After a Nayparm mod the only difference between a modded 1A and a modded 1Z is the copper casing and the extra 128GB storage so modding a 1A is by far better value. I have never heard a stock 1A but my modded 1Z is better than the stock 1Z. Actually mine has a 1A board as the 1Z board got destryoed when a faulty battery leaked.

Sep 6, 2021 at 5:31 AM Post #2,079 of 5,322
I would say so.
I have been fortunate enough to own both a stock WM1Z (with Midnight FW) and a WM1A modded by Nayparm (with Midnight FW too).
I sold the modded one in order to buy an IEM, which I now regret a lot.
I think the sound quality, detail retrieval and power of the Nayparm-modded WM1A was at least equal, if not superior to my stock WM1Z.

So now I have to get my WM1Z modded as well. In fairness, that was always my plan :sweat_smile:

Sep 6, 2021 at 5:52 AM Post #2,080 of 5,322
I would say so.
I have been fortunate enough to own both a stock WM1Z (with Midnight FW) and a WM1A modded by Nayparm (with Midnight FW too).
I sold the modded one in order to buy an IEM, which I now regret a lot.
I think the sound quality, detail retrieval and power of the Nayparm-modded WM1A was at least equal, if not superior to my stock WM1Z.

So now I have to get my WM1Z modded as well. In fairness, that was always my plan :sweat_smile:
Cool!

Sep 6, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #2,081 of 5,322
6000 hours of use (and 1000 more in DAC option) and my WM1A is still going strong

are you guys thinking of a successor or will you keep your wm1a until it dies ?

Sep 6, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #2,082 of 5,322
6000 hours of use (and 1000 more in DAC option) and my WM1A is still going strong

are you guys thinking of a successor or will you keep your wm1a until it dies ?
Well, I have a loooong ways to go to get to that level of usage (got mine brand new this past April, though with a Feb 2020 manufacture date according to the sticker), but I am already on the lookout for a trustworthy person to do a battery swap at some point....preferably a high capacity battery. I have been using mine at a ludicrous (for me) level the past month. Averaging ~40hrs/week over that span.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back