The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Dec 9, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #271 of 5,346
I've decided to jump to HFM Arya, which needs plenty of amplification and I want to still use wm1z (@DMP-WM1 FE) as a DAC, already ordered a Topping A90 AMP and 4.4mm to 2x XLR adapter, and want to make sure I got everything right.
So I just connect wm1z's 4.4mm headphone out to this adapter, and adaptor to inputs of the Amp, then enable DAC mode on the DAP, and then connect the DAP to a source device like a phone or PC, right? Also is it possible to skip source device part and just use the player in a DAP mode connected to the Amp? Will I get amplification this way, and should the SQ stay the same?
Would really appreciate if someone could clear this up for me! :)

Yes and yes and yes. Only caveat is that it seems that some devices have trouble connecting to the WM1 as a dac for whatever reason

Dec 9, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #273 of 5,346
I've decided to jump to HFM Arya, which needs plenty of amplification and I want to still use wm1z (@DMP-WM1 FE) as a DAC, already ordered a Topping A90 AMP and 4.4mm to 2x XLR adapter, and want to make sure I got everything right.
So I just connect wm1z's 4.4mm headphone out to this adapter, and adaptor to inputs of the Amp, then enable DAC mode on the DAP, and then connect the DAP to a source device like a phone or PC, right? Also is it possible to skip source device part and just use the player in a DAP mode connected to the Amp? Will I get amplification this way, and should the SQ stay the same?
I was looking to connect my WM1A to a iFi Zen Can which has a 4.4mm balanced input but I was told that Sony Walkmans 4.4mm don't have a ground so it is not advised and the 3.5mm is recommended. Hopefully someone else will be able to confirm or deny this.

Dec 9, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #274 of 5,346
I was looking to connect my WM1A to a iFi Zen Can which has a 4.4mm balanced input but I was told that Sony Walkmans 4.4mm don't have a ground so it is not advised and the 3.5mm is recommended. Hopefully someone else will be able to confirm or deny this.
Found this post regarding this issue: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-wm1z-wm1a.815841/page-1903#post-15037145
It seems we should be fine using balanced to balanced.

Also, could it be some people recommend against using 4.4 out because of this: https://helpguide.sony.net/dmp/nwwm1/v1/en/contents/TP0001449016.html "If you use an audio cable to connect the headphone jack (Balanced Standard) to the line-in jack of an audio device, it may damage the device."
And this has been sorted out here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-wm1z-wm1a.815841/page-1902#post-15037128
^EDITED

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #275 of 5,346

As long as you connect the 4.4 out to balanced inputs on an amp it ought to be safe as balanced signals don’t normally carry ground but a + and a - signal

Dec 9, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #276 of 5,346
Yes, you can do either. That's exactly what I did with my WM1A which I connected to my THX789 and the Atom as well. I think as long as you have a transparent amp you will get the Sony SQ.

Dec 9, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #277 of 5,346
Yes, you can do either. That's exactly what I did with my WM1A which I connected to my THX789 and the Atom as well. I think as long as you have a transparent amp you will get the Sony SQ.
Great, thanks!
And on the player, what gain/volume settings should I use? Asking because I've read some contradictory info, some suggest low gain and low volume, some high gain & max volume, so not sure what's the overall consensus on this...

Dec 9, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #278 of 5,346
Great, thanks!
And on the player, what gain/volume settings should I use? Asking because I've read some contradictory info, some suggest low gain and low volume, some high gain & max volume, so not sure what's the overall consensus on this...
Well, you should note that the standard 2V output of a DAC is reached only if you set the Walkman to high gain. Other than that, you will get lower volume with the Arya and you will need to set high gain on the Amp itself.

Dec 9, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #279 of 5,346
Well, you should note that the standard 2V output of a DAC is reached only if you set the Walkman to high gain. Other than that, you will get lower volume with the Arya and you will need to set high gain on the Amp itself.
Sorry, I don't quite understand the DAC part, what's the consequences of having lower than 2V output, or do you imply that whenever I go into DAC mode it will automatically use high gain on the Walkman?
And if I'm using it in a DAP mode having gain on low will just affect the volume, which I can further correct on the Amp itself?
So what will be more preferable, to have low gain on Walkman (so the signal is as purest as it can get) and higher gain on the Amp or the other way around? This Amp judging from the specs is very very powerful, so I think it should have enough juice to drive the Arya regardless of the gain level on the DAP, but obviously can't be 100% sure without trying...
Terrible sorry for so many question ITT, feel free not to answer if you don't feel like it :sweat:

EDIT: after researching the old WM1 thread for a while, I think I understand what you mean by "standard 2V output of a DAC", it basically means lower volume on the Amp, hence more heavy-lifting on it's part, I thought there might be some other not so obvious consequences I was missing.
EDIT2: the more I read this same old thread, the more I get a feeling that there're no consensus on normal vs high gain when running as a DAC, I guess I should just try it for myself, starting from the lowest and theoretically more cleaner outputs (well, maybe), i.e. low gain and something like 100 volume on the DAP, and high gain on A90 Amp (some people recommended high gain on A90 with Arya anyway, saying it will sound more dynamic and less polite), all balanced connections.

So nevermind my wall of text above. Next time I will do more researching myself before asking something out :)

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #280 of 5,346
Found this post regarding this issue: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-wm1z-wm1a.815841/page-1903#post-15037145
It seems we should be fine using balanced to balanced.

Also, could it be some people recommend against using 4.4 out because of this: https://helpguide.sony.net/dmp/nwwm1/v1/en/contents/TP0001449016.html "If you use an audio cable to connect the headphone jack (Balanced Standard) to the line-in jack of an audio device, it may damage the device."
And this has been sorted out here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-wm1z-wm1a.815841/page-1902#post-15037128
^EDITED
Good finds!

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #281 of 5,346
Sorry, I don't quite understand the DAC part, what's the consequences of having lower than 2V output, or do you imply that whenever I go into DAC mode it will automatically use high gain on the Walkman?
And if I'm using it in a DAP mode having gain on low will just affect the volume, which I can further correct on the Amp itself?
So what will be more preferable, to have low gain on Walkman (so the signal is as purest as it can get) and higher gain on the Amp or the other way around? This Amp judging from the specs is very very powerful, so I think it should have enough juice to drive the Arya regardless of the gain level on the DAP, but obviously can't be 100% sure without trying...
Terrible sorry for so many question ITT, feel free not to answer if you don't feel like it :sweat:
No problem. These forums exist precisely for these concerns. It's just a volume issue, don't worry. You can play around with the gain settings either on the Sony or the amp. I can tell you both output clean power either way.

Edit: It does not automatically go into high gain even on DAC mode. BTW, 2V output on balanced high gain.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 11:07 PM Post #282 of 5,346

EDIT: after researching the old WM1 thread for a while, I think I understand what you mean by "standard 2V output of a DAC", it basically means lower volume on the Amp, hence more heavy-lifting on it's part, I thought there might be some other not so obvious consequences I was missing.
EDIT2: the more I read this same old thread, the more I get a feeling that overall consensus is to leave high gain/max volume when running as a DAC.

So nevermind my wall of text above. Next time I will do more researching myself before asking something out :)
You shouldn't apologize. These are exactly the questions one should be asking with their gear.

Dec 9, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #283 of 5,346
No problem. These forums exist precisely for these concerns. It's just a volume issue, don't worry. You can play around with the gain settings either on the Sony or the amp. I can tell you both output clean power either way.

Edit: It does not automatically go into high gain even on DAC mode. BTW, 2V output on balanced high gain.
You shouldn't apologize. These are exactly the questions one should be asking with their gear.
Thanks again for your help and kindness! This forum is really helpful and friendly, a great place to be :)

Dec 10, 2020 at 12:15 AM Post #284 of 5,346
Great, thanks!

You can’t damage anything so experiment with the settings to see what sounds and works best for you

Dec 10, 2020 at 2:38 AM Post #285 of 5,346
Just a query on the firmware mod. If there is the same mod for the WM1z/1A, then will the 1Z and 1A sound identical?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back