The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
May 20, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #1,351 of 5,314
Wow. So it makes a lot more sense to use the USB and cradle with the walkman versus the side port. That doubling up I’m sure makes a huge difference
Only if you have these. 768 kHz, 705.6 kHz and 22.4 MHz.

May 20, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #1,353 of 5,314
image.jpg

May 20, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #1,354 of 5,314
Does anyone know if it drains the battery when left plugging in (4.4mm port)?
Stand by drains a bit and it does not matter if anything is plugged in or not

May 20, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #1,355 of 5,314
@Redcarmoose @nc8000 @Queen6 thank you for your posts.
99.9999999% of my Walkman use has been playing from sdcard using 4.4mm output to iems so I have probably not paid attention to posts over the years regarding it's other features and assumed I could use it as a bluetooth receiver outputting to the amp.
I currently use a Fiio BTR5 with iems (small and light) for connecting to my Nvidia Shield for movies or TV with music blu-rays but had the idea to extract more value from my TA amp and MDR-Z1R - I was interested how a movie soundtrack would sound.
Fiio BTA30 or Topping BC3 offer relatively low cost ways to achieve this although I was wanting to test the set up first as my current set up is so lightweight I might find the MDR-Z1R with Sony Kimber too bulky for couch potatoing.
I was rushing to see if a reinstall of Midnight might fix the bluetooth issue, but in haste I forgot to check if bluetooth worked on stock 3.02, I guess I don't need it now.

Last edited:
May 20, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #1,356 of 5,314
@Redcarmoose @nc8000 @Queen6 thank you for your posts.
99.9999999% of my Walkman use has been playing from sdcard using 4.4mm output to iems so I have probably not paid attention to posts over the years regarding it's other features and assumed I could use it as a bluetooth receiver outputting to the amp.
I currently use a Fiio BTR5 with iems (small and light) for connecting to my Nvidia Shield for movies or TV with music blu-rays but had the idea to extract more value from my TA amp and MDR-Z1R - I was interested how a movie soundtrack would sound.
Fiio BTA30 or Topping BC3 offer relatively low cost ways to achieve this although I was wanting to test the set up first as my current set up is so lightweight I might find the MDR-Z1R with Sony Kimber too bulky for couch potatoing.
I was rushing to see if a reinstall of Midnight might fix the bluetooth issue, but in haste I forgot to check if bluetooth worked on stock 3.02, I guess I don't need it now.
My WM1A is becoming an all-in-one device: BT stream for movie, DAP for music, DAC/AMP for PC, phone distractor, and battery saver for my phone. Loving the long battery life.

May 20, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #1,357 of 5,314
My WM1A is becoming an all-in-one device: BT stream for movie, DAP for music, DAC/AMP for PC, phone distractor, and battery saver for my phone. Loving the long battery life.
I'm happily getting value for money as a straight up Walkman but the dac and bluetooth capabilities truly make it an all in one audio device - I feel ashamed for under using it.

May 20, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #1,358 of 5,314
Save your $$$$ with @MrWalkman custom firmware the WM1A is easily 90% the same as the WM1Z, unless you just want that big copper block in the hand :) The sonic differences between the two players has never added up, as the changes in hardware are minimal. Now it's confirmed as predominantly being a different tuning profile applied in software. @MrWalkman Chameleon 2.0 custom firmware allows the user to load both WM1A stock & WM1Z stock unmodified Sony firmware on either player...

Just updating your WM1A to Sony 3.01 or 3.02 will be a revelation to what you currently have, let alone the likes of custom firmware such as DMP-WM FEv2 which takes the WM1A way above anything Sony offers and many others for that matter, other than the DMP-Z1 itself. The 1A/1Z can now take advantage of the DMP-Z1 tuning profile which easily exceeds the stock WM1Z by a wide margin. Doubts? ask the guy's with access to the DMP-Z1.

screenshot_20210520_202626502.png
Wanna do it right, you can :) Your coin, your call...

Q-6
I am leaning toward the Lotoo Paw Gold Touch. The Titanium would be really cool.

May 20, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #1,359 of 5,314
I'm happily getting value for money as a straight up Walkman but the dac and bluetooth capabilities truly make it an all in one audio device - I feel ashamed for under using it.
IDK if it's just me, or the DAC function is really laggy, whereas the BT receiver mode is perfectly strong and doesn't have that much latency.

May 20, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #1,360 of 5,314
IDK if it's just me, or the DAC function is really laggy, whereas the BT receiver mode is perfectly strong and doesn't have that much latency.
I've never used the dac function and in the past opted for more powerful portable dac amps with more input options, probably the lag was another motivation too. I've only recently adopted bluetooth for convenience with movies/YouTube etc.
If I can get my Bluetooth connecting I'll give it a go one day.

May 20, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #1,361 of 5,314
There is maybe an issue with Midnight sending Bluetooth I read. It works until the screen goes off then Bluetooth goes off. Though you will be fine of course in stock mode. It will send Bluetooth and receive it, and playing locally, or sending to Bluetooth to a device.

May 20, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #1,362 of 5,314
There is about a 1 second lag in DAC mode. Though a player like VLC lets you sync the video even in DAC mode so the vocals are fine. You adjust the lip-sync when the movie is playing.

May 20, 2021 at 10:59 PM Post #1,364 of 5,314
.DP

Last edited:
May 20, 2021 at 11:01 PM Post #1,365 of 5,314
I am leaning toward the Lotoo Paw Gold Touch. The Titanium would be really cool.
Your choice, your coin, equally you can have something very special at zero cost. The audiophile guys here are astonished at what the WM1A can deliver with CFW and they are also frequently proponents of the LPGT...

Your conservatism only serves to kill your enjoyment of the WM1A; your 1A today likely competes with $300 DAP's, mine $3/$4KK DAP's. That's just a click away, compare early Sony firmware to @MrWalkman custom firmware, night & day man. Got to know the game and how to play it, or be played...

Q-6

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back