The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
May 5, 2021 at 1:01 AM Post #1,246 of 5,314
From memory it can take 20 times +, just keep at it.
I have found the Plus versions of the firmwares do deplete the battery more.
I sometimes don't listen for a day or 2 (24 hour auto off) and find that standby seems to consume more than I would expect it to when looking at my total week listening time.
I would recommend not to keep turning on until the screen is totally dead. Getting to the charge needed icon, or the low battery warning, is enough. The worry I have is that there is a chance of draining the Li-ion battery TOO much.
Lithium batteries must be kept above a minimum voltage, so the charge circuit attached to the battery does this function, to monitor and cutoff before the minimum voltage is reached, and keep the battery functioning.
If the battery ever falls below the minimum voltage, it will die, and not be able to charge.

So the worry I have is that forcing the battery to continue to drain, while the charge circuit is doing it's job to try to maintain the minimum voltage level, and a safety reserve margin, is a high risk action with minimal gain.
Trying to get to the absolute deadest battery, and risking killing the battery, is an unsafe practice. If the charge circuit is defective, or malfunctions, or the battery is marginal, the voltage could fall below the minimal level. Which, personally, is why I would avoid trying to totally kill a battery before charging it for the calibration.

May 5, 2021 at 1:12 AM Post #1,247 of 5,314
This doesn’t look good. Is the player in bad shape?

08D1F000-EB91-4385-A8FA-3567465DDE20.jpeg
My guess is that the charger don’t deliver enough to start the charging and that your pc did

May 5, 2021 at 1:34 AM Post #1,248 of 5,314
My guess is that the charger don’t deliver enough to start the charging and that your pc did
Weird, indeed. As long as it works, that’s what’s important. Thank you for the feedback. My USB ports on the PC are 3.1 I believe? With the blue inside meaning it’s the faster output version.

May 5, 2021 at 2:56 AM Post #1,249 of 5,314
I would recommend not to keep turning on until the screen is totally dead. Getting to the charge needed icon, or the low battery warning, is enough. The worry I have is that there is a chance of draining the Li-ion battery TOO much.
Lithium batteries must be kept above a minimum voltage, so the charge circuit attached to the battery does this function, to monitor and cutoff before the minimum voltage is reached, and keep the battery functioning.
If the battery ever falls below the minimum voltage, it will die, and not be able to charge.

So the worry I have is that forcing the battery to continue to drain, while the charge circuit is doing it's job to try to maintain the minimum voltage level, and a safety reserve margin, is a high risk action with minimal gain.
Trying to get to the absolute deadest battery, and risking killing the battery, is an unsafe practice. If the charge circuit is defective, or malfunctions, or the battery is marginal, the voltage could fall below the minimal level. Which, personally, is why I would avoid trying to totally kill a battery before charging it for the calibration.
I agree, and I actually cringed when I performed the procedure.
I was just passing on the info that was recommended to me and had saved my battery, I otherwise follow the general lithium battery health tips to keep preserve the life of the batteries in my devices.
I assumed the complete drain was an important part in reseting the memory?

May 5, 2021 at 2:58 AM Post #1,250 of 5,314
I was just passing on the info that was recommended to me and had saved my battery, I otherwise follow the general lithium battery health tips to keep preserve the life of the batteries in my devices.
Now that I read that, I’m confused as well. So how do we recalibrate them battery without making it fully dead?

May 5, 2021 at 3:08 AM Post #1,251 of 5,314
Now that I read that, I’m confused as well. So how do we recalibrate them battery without making it fully dead?
I’ve always just disabled battery care, played until it shut down and then carged to 100%, never done the keep restartingn until it no longer will turn on. And I’ve only recalibrated about once a year

May 5, 2021 at 3:10 AM Post #1,252 of 5,314
I’ve always just disabled battery care, played until it shut down and then carged to 100%, never done the keep restartingn until it no longer will turn on. And I’ve only recalibrated about once a year
Got it. So once it reaches zero and stops playing music, before that, make sure battery care is off and fully charge and that should recalibrate it. I’ll do that for my 1Z next time. But I’ll still recharge the players maybe after the 1 bar starts flashing or 5 hours after the 1 bar hits and charge it with battery care.

May 5, 2021 at 3:26 AM Post #1,253 of 5,314
Side question: can anyone recommend one of the best songs to understand soundstage and imaging? Maybe it try it on YouTube or buy the hi-res track of it? I really want to understand my DAPs better with my MDR and IER

May 5, 2021 at 3:31 AM Post #1,254 of 5,314
Side question: can anyone recommend one of the best songs to understand soundstage and imaging? Maybe it try it on YouTube or buy the hi-res track of it? I really want to understand my DAPs better with my MDR and IER
Yoshi horikawa has some really good reference tracks for imaging and soundstage also anything recorded by chesky :D. I would also recommend to you the album "Live in Eddie's Attic" by the civil wars now its not at the levels of cheskybut its a pretty fun album to test out imaging.

May 5, 2021 at 5:40 AM Post #1,255 of 5,314
Got it. So once it reaches zero and stops playing music, before that, make sure battery care is off and fully charge and that should recalibrate it. I’ll do that for my 1Z next time. But I’ll still recharge the players maybe after the 1 bar starts flashing or 5 hours after the 1 bar hits and charge it with battery care.
Yes I normally have battery care checked and recharge no later than when the last bar starts flashing

May 5, 2021 at 6:13 AM Post #1,256 of 5,314
If the calibration uses the discharged state of the battery that you are starting the charge from as the reference point, then using the point where the DAP is warning to charge is good enough, as that is the point where the charge circuit/DAP is programmed to provide the warning, and the point where the user should be charging. The best practice for good battery health is to charge between 40-80%. Deeply discharged batteries charge at high current/heat, which is bad for the battery. So charging at 30-40%, or higher, is better for the battery, as the charge current is lower.

Pushing the reference point lower with multiple turn on(s) may shift the calibration slightly, but that is abnormal and not worth worrying about anyways. As the calibration is for the battery doing a full charge from a low voltage (3.0v) to a fully charged (4.2V), this is the main part of the calibration. Whatever amount you manage to manually push the voltage even lower, is minor, relative to the main charge.

*********************************************************************************
https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/premature_voltage_cut_off
Premature Voltage Cut-off - Battery University

BU-802c: How Low can a Battery be Discharged?​

Discover what causes short runtimes

Not all battery energy can or should be used on discharge; some reserve is almost always left behind on purpose after the equipment cuts off. There are several reasons for this.

Most mobile phones, laptops and other portable devices turn off when the lithium-ion battery reaches 3.00V/cell on discharge. At this point the battery has about 5 percent capacity left. Manufacturers choose this voltage threshold to preserve some energy for housekeeping, as well as to reduce battery stress and allow for some self-discharge if the battery is not immediately recharged. This grace period in empty state can last several months until self-discharge lowers the voltage of Li-ion to about 2.50V/cell, at which point the protection circuit opens and most packs become unserviceable with a regular charger. ( See BU-808a: How to awaken Sleeping Li-ion )

Industrial applications aim to attain maximum service life rather than optimize runtime, as it is done with consumer products. This also applies to the electric powertrain; batteries in a hybrid cars and electric vehicle electric vehicles are seldom fully discharged or charged; most operate between 30 and 80 percent state-of-charge when new. This is the most effective working bandwidth; it also delivers the longest service life. A deep discharge to empty followed a full charge would cause undue stress for the Li-ion. Similarly, satellites use only the mid-band of a battery called the “sweet zone.” Figure 2 illustrates the “sweet zone” of a battery.

sweet-zone.png
Figure 2: Sweet zone of a Lithium-ion battery to extend life.
Operating Li-ion in the “sweet zone” prolongs battery life because a partial cycle is less stressful than a full cycle. As the capacity fades with use, the battery management system (BMS) may engage the full working range of the battery.
Courtesy of Cadex

Last edited:
May 5, 2021 at 6:29 AM Post #1,257 of 5,314
If the calibration uses the discharged state of the battery that you are starting the charge from as the reference point, then using the point where the DAP is warning to charge is good enough, as that is the point where the charge circuit/DAP is programmed to provide the warning, and the point where the user should be charging. The best practice for good battery health is to charge between 40-80%. Deeply discharged batteries charge at high current/heat, which is bad for the battery. So charging at 30-40%, or higher, is better for the battery, as the charge current is lower.

Pushing the reference point lower with multiple turn on(s) may shift the calibration slightly, but that is abnormal and not worth worrying about anyways. As the calibration is for the battery doing a full charge from a low voltage (3.0v) to a fully charged (4.2V), this is the main part of the calibration. Whatever amount you manage to manually push the voltage even lower, is minor, relative to the main charge.

*********************************************************************************

BU-802c: How Low can a Battery be Discharged?​

Discover what causes short runtimes

Not all battery energy can or should be used on discharge; some reserve is almost always left behind on purpose after the equipment cuts off. There are several reasons for this.

Most mobile phones, laptops and other portable devices turn off when the lithium-ion battery reaches 3.00V/cell on discharge. At this point the battery has about 5 percent capacity left. Manufacturers choose this voltage threshold to preserve some energy for housekeeping, as well as to reduce battery stress and allow for some self-discharge if the battery is not immediately recharged. This grace period in empty state can last several months until self-discharge lowers the voltage of Li-ion to about 2.50V/cell, at which point the protection circuit opens and most packs become unserviceable with a regular charger. ( See BU-808a: How to awaken Sleeping Li-ion )

Industrial applications aim to attain maximum service life rather than optimize runtime, as it is done with consumer products. This also applies to the electric powertrain; batteries in a hybrid cars and electric vehicle electric vehicles are seldom fully discharged or charged; most operate between 30 and 80 percent state-of-charge when new. This is the most effective working bandwidth; it also delivers the longest service life. A deep discharge to empty followed a full charge would cause undue stress for the Li-ion. Similarly, satellites use only the mid-band of a battery called the “sweet zone.” Figure 2 illustrates the “sweet zone” of a battery.

sweet-zone.png
Figure 2: Sweet zone of a Lithium-ion battery to extend life.
Operating Li-ion in the “sweet zone” prolongs battery life because a partial cycle is less stressful than a full cycle. As the capacity fades with use, the battery management system (BMS) may engage the full working range of the battery.
Courtesy of Cadex
Thank-you!

May 5, 2021 at 6:36 AM Post #1,258 of 5,314
IMG_20210505_123211.jpg

Since we are discussng chargin. This is my portale charging gear. I use 2cells lipo connected to a lipo to usb converter. Have been using this for gopros in -10Celsius as well. Everything has been working good for 5+ years, no issues what so ever.

Edit: oh and the sound is really good on wm1a, better and better :)

May 5, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #1,259 of 5,314
For the battery recalibration technique: I'd hate to pass on information that was not correct, this was the exact procedure that has been shared before in other Walkman threads. When I had the issue where my battery would drop bars from full charge and flash within 15 minutes the complete drain was the only process that worked and reset my battery, but this was an actual issue not just a drop in performance or maintenance reset.

May 5, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #1,260 of 5,314
Stop sweating on battery reset. Drain the battery until player shuts off, recharge until full capacity and leave for 30-60 minutes. Exercise the battery to keep it healthy (20-80). TBH it's a non issue as long as the device is in use.

Q-6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back