The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
May 3, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #1,216 of 5,315
Thanks guys! It certainly requires some patience, but enjoyable to see the changes - interesting on the Sony note of requiring 200 hours, it sounds like a long time, but over the context of the expected product lifetime, not really that much!

W2 is more analytical, a bit cleaner. Bear in mind, my experience is with a brand new WM1A. It of course lacks the power relative to the WM1A, but does a darn fine job of driving my Z1Rs. It does a lot for the money - a perfect solution for my current streaming needs. I do see a streaming DAP in my future, however none on the market currently tickle my fancy due to issues one way or another.

@Scuba Devils has the MEST Mk2 and a W2, so he can probably give you an overview or how they match :)
I think W2 is much more powerful than the WM1A.

I like the Project Z firmware because it seems to me the perfect solution between resolution and warmth, at least with the IEMs that I currently have. It is much warmer than the official firmware.

May 3, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #1,217 of 5,315

I like the Project Z firmware because it seems to me the perfect solution between resolution and warmth, at least with the IEMs that I currently have. It is much warmer than the official firmware.
It wouldn’t totally surprise me if the W2 is more powerful than the 1A. Incredible device really!

In general I veer towards more neutral DAPs - for electronic music the W2 is pretty darn good. I’ll be in a better position to compare once I start my firmware journey. It’s almost certain I’ll be enjoying Midnight/Project Z more.

May 3, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #1,218 of 5,315

L&P W2 (230mW @ 32Ω) is twice a powerful as the WM1A (250mW @ 16Ω)

Project Z & Midnight are based on WM1Z FW hence the additional warmth.

Q-6

May 4, 2021 at 1:04 AM Post #1,220 of 5,315
That blows my mind! Also shows there is more to sound than just numbers...
Exactly. While clean measurements and greater power delivery are desirable, within reason there's a lot more to the enjoyment of music than just bigger numbers on a spec sheet. Not a fan of dongles, however the L&P W2 does very much interest :)

Paring the W2 with a Mac or Windows notebook seems a more elegant solution with no battery concerns. First and foremost the W2 has to sound great...

Q-6

Last edited:
May 4, 2021 at 2:40 AM Post #1,221 of 5,315
That blows my mind! Also shows there is more to sound than just numbers...
Sony very much wanted it's own house sound driven by proprietary hardware. The uptick is a very substantial battery life & longevity, the downside is somewhat limited power output that limits the choice of headgear and does not always bring out the best in others at times.

This is not to say the WM1A/Z are poor DAP's, very much the opposite, however like all portable devices compromises had to be made one way or the other Sony chose theirs's...

Q-6

May 4, 2021 at 5:34 AM Post #1,222 of 5,315
Sony very much wanted it's own house sound driven by proprietary hardware. The uptick is a very substantial battery life & longevity, the downside is somewhat limited power output that limits the choice of headgear and does not always bring out the best in others at times.

This is not to say the WM1A/Z are poor DAP's, very much the opposite, however like all portable devices compromises had to be made one way or the other Sony chose theirs's...

Q-6
Yeah, more power does more than just more volume.

experienced that with DMP-Z1. Suddenly a great sense of space and better control of all frequencies

May 4, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #1,223 of 5,315
Exactly. While clean measurements and greater power delivery are desirable, within reason there's a lot more to the enjoyment of music than just bigger numbers on a spec sheet. Not a fan of dongles, however the L&P W2 does very much interest :)

Paring the W2 with a Mac or Windows notebook seems a more elegant solution with no battery concerns. First and foremost the W2 has to sound great...

Q-6
Definitely worth trying the W2 - works really well with the Z1Rs. My use case it as my desk and streaming, very elegant solution and a lovely piece of hardware.

May 4, 2021 at 7:47 AM Post #1,224 of 5,315
Yeah, more power does more than just more volume.

experienced that with DMP-Z1. Suddenly a great sense of space and better control of all frequencies
And you’ll become deaf

May 4, 2021 at 8:01 AM Post #1,225 of 5,315
Definitely worth trying the W2 - works really well with the Z1Rs. My use case it as my desk and streaming, very elegant solution and a lovely piece of hardware.
I like the idea of the L&P W2 and the Khadas Tone2 Pro as they both remain to be extremely portable for use with a Notebook, measure really well, by all accounts sound very good, can pick your own style of player and don't have any battery complications.

I wouldn't want to trade for a DAP as I do prefer standalone players, however I can certainly see the utility of such a device where one is static as the desk etc.and does not need the portability of a traditional DAP.

Q-6

May 4, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #1,226 of 5,315
May 4, 2021 at 8:07 AM Post #1,227 of 5,315
I like the idea of the L&P W2 and the Khadas Tone2 Pro as they both remain to be extremely portable for use with a Notebook, measure really well, by all accounts sound very good, can pick your own style of player and don't have any battery complications.

I wouldn't want to trade for a DAP as I do prefer standalone players, however I can certainly see the utility of such a device where one is static as the desk etc.and does not need the portability of a traditional DAP.

Q-6
Oh absolutely this is not a replacement - I have a 1A and am open to another streaming DAP in the future (had a M11 in the past). But I listen a lot at my desk, so it makes sense and frankly all the top end streaming DAPs have some compromise that have made me hesitant to buy any of them - especially with software. So for now the duo of the 1A and W2 is pretty good for my use cases!

May 4, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #1,228 of 5,315
Oh absolutely this is not a replacement - I have a 1A and am open to another streaming DAP in the future (had a M11 in the past). But I listen a lot at my desk, so it makes sense and frankly all the top end streaming DAPs have some compromise that have made me hesitant to buy any of them - especially with software. So for now the duo of the 1A and W2 is pretty good for my use cases!
Very much agree as I see a lot of issue's related to steaming on DAP's across the forums due to software complications. I also have an A&K SR25 that takes care of any mobile streaming need, equally I far prefer my own music loaded on the DAP. Streaming on a Mac or PC is simply a far easier affair, nor are they likely to be left behind by providers versus the Android based DAP's that all have a shelf life determined by the OS :)

Q-6

May 4, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #1,229 of 5,315
New 4.4mm..........finally!
8A49BFAE-F264-491B-AA92-62616BE24915.jpeg
PRE-ORDER TODAY
Astell&Kern A&Futura SE180 Music Player
$1,499.00
Arrives May 17, 2021

Pre-Order Here
https://www.moon-audio.com/astell-kern-a-futura-se180-music-player.html
  • Model Concept:
    • Premium model with Interchangeable All in-One DAC/AMP modules
  • Key Specs:
    • Includes SEM1 Module: Single DAC, ESS ES9038PRO, with New Generation AMP & TERATON ALPHA Technology
    • Supports 32bit/384kHz, DSD256, MQA
    • USB Type-C input; 2.5mm, 3.5mm & 4.4mm headphone ports
    • BT Sync (new!); BT 5.0, aptX™ HD & LDAC
    • 5 inch Full HD Display, 1920x1080
    • Updated UI & Adjustable Gain
    • 256GB internal memory + microSD card slot (up to 1TB)
Battery is still an issue, 10.5 hours on 16,44.1 FLAC. Per charging, 50% of my listening will be Hi-res FLAC and DSD, thus, play time my be just around 6 hours. I had my WM1Z for 4+ years with 4,500 hours of listening time. It still serve 15 hours per each chrarging.

May 4, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #1,230 of 5,315
Very much agree as I see a lot of issue's related to steaming on DAP's across the forums due to software complications. I also have an A&K SR25 that takes care of any mobile streaming need, equally I far prefer my own music loaded on the DAP. Streaming on a Mac or PC is simply a far easier affair, nor are they likely to be left behind by providers versus the Android based DAP's that all have a shelf life determined by the OS :)

Q-6
It's really frustrating the current state of streamers - I think I'll like the Shanling M8 for instance, but it seems soooo slow and on an old version of Android, so obsolete as a streamer is sooner rather than later . And still $1500 odd. Just not worth it.

And then you look at the 1A - pretty good UI, keeping it simple. Compromises....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back