The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Apr 23, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #1,201 of 5,315
Curious what is the consensus on the best sound settings?

Direct Source yes or no? EQ Yes or no? I am alternating between Direct Source and a config using an EQ setting found on here somewhere on here with DCPL on (low) and Vinyl processing on (standard) Gives a little more bass on my HD599s but I am always torn on the pros and cons of EQ

Feedback appreciated!

Apr 23, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #1,202 of 5,315
I go direct, no EQ, high gain. But it depends on your IEMs and your hearing. But for awhile I used to use a little added bass with the Encores, but now totally direct. “J” region and Midnight Plus. A lot of it for me was finding the right tips.

Also I go direct with the IER-Z1R, high gain.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #1,203 of 5,315
I go direct, no EQ, hi gain. But it depends on your IEMs and your hearing. But for awhile I used to use a little added bass with the Encores, but now totally direct. “J” region and Midnight Plus. A lot of it for me was finding the right tips.

Also I go direct with the IER-Z1R, high gain.
Yeah I am hi gain too, this may change when my balanced cable eventually turns up! The HD599s do benefit from a tad more bass IMO but I am usually wary of meddling with EQ.

Apr 23, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #1,204 of 5,315
There are times in life where the volume must be turned up to 11 this is one
600x600bb.jpg

Rammstein - Moskau

Q-6

Apr 25, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #1,205 of 5,315
I’ve been playing around with cases and I think I found my solution. I got a pelican G 40 case and it seemed to fit best of the options. But it was still a little too big so the DAP and IEMs moved around a bit. So I am working on 3D printing a solution for it. This is my second revision. I’ve got a couple ideas to make it even better for the next iteration.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 3E702DC2-5C24-4F62-82F8-5C3F2E102C45.jpeg
    3E702DC2-5C24-4F62-82F8-5C3F2E102C45.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 033BB977-8952-4AA1-B97D-DAC0212F0F7D.jpeg
    033BB977-8952-4AA1-B97D-DAC0212F0F7D.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 30, 2021 at 10:30 PM Post #1,207 of 5,315
Design complete. It is a tight fit but it doesn't seem to put undue stress on any cables or connections and the DAP and IEMs are nicely secured so there's no bouncing around.
IMG_3866.jpeg

IMG_3865.jpeg
I lied. I tweaked the design a bit to use the vertical space more efficiently. I posted this in a couple of other threads but it’s relevant here, too. I think this is the final iteration.
B89AD4F4-6594-4B5B-92EF-414CE31311F9.jpeg
8ED3430E-FAE0-40A3-BEE1-75380DE3BF83.jpeg

May 2, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #1,208 of 5,315
Brand new. I have been doing some studio work and back in the day I bought the HD265 linear, some hate it, some say it`s muddy, I have no problem with it honestly. It`s a very true sound, for me :p

Thing is. Back in the day (i`m 42), I think I was like 25 years old with a german girlfriend. I visited media markt in berlin, tried loaaads of headphones and price didn`t matter, I landed on those of all headphones I tried. Wierd though, alot of people hate them hehe.
Haha, glad to hear somebody else agrees with this! Totally my sentiments. I think many people are clueless and listen to too many headphones with totally warped frequency response (especially too much mids and highs - virtually all headphones), so they no longer know what neutral or true sound is anymore! HD265s are very accurate and don't distort when driven loud. I'm also a producer.

May 3, 2021 at 6:08 AM Post #1,209 of 5,315
Well my WM1A arrived a few days ago and music has been all loaded up! Initial impression was a very nicely built device, I can see this lasting a very long time - which was exactly why i bought the thing, despite its 'age'. Sound wise, I have to say, out of the box I was not impressed with the Z1R. Personally preferred the W2. But burn-in is real, and already a significant improvement after 20 hours - everything is just a lot tighter - I should add the Z1Rs also need some more burn in, so that may also be an effect.

I'm gonna let it burn for 30-50 hours to see how things change up more before going custom. Exciting!

May 3, 2021 at 6:16 AM Post #1,210 of 5,315
Well my WM1A arrived a few days ago and music has been all loaded up! Initial impression was a very nicely built device, I can see this lasting a very long time - which was exactly why i bought the thing, despite its 'age'. Sound wise, I have to say, out of the box I was not impressed with the Z1R. Personally preferred the W2. But burn-in is real, and already a significant improvement after 20 hours - everything is just a lot tighter - I should add the Z1Rs also need some more burn in, so that may also be an effect.

I'm gonna let it burn for 30-50 hours to see how things change up more before going custom. Exciting!

I found it way too bright out of the box and was initially disappointed... certainly changed as the hours clocked up but especially once I started trying custom firmware.

May 3, 2021 at 6:18 AM Post #1,211 of 5,315

Come back with 100 hours! Also region change and custom FW. You haven’t heard nothing yet!

May 3, 2021 at 6:21 AM Post #1,212 of 5,315

I loved it with my Z1R. Give it time. It’s going to give you a lifetime of joy.

May 3, 2021 at 6:49 AM Post #1,213 of 5,315

Sony recommend 200 hours of burn in on each output you intend to use

May 3, 2021 at 7:35 AM Post #1,214 of 5,315

What differences do you mainly find between the WM1A and the W2?

I was considering buying the W2, but the truth is that I love the WM1A with the Project Z firmware. I have compared it with several other sources, and none have come to like me as much as the WM1A, due to the scene and separation that get with my favorite IEMs (Mest and Clairvoyance mainly).

May 3, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #1,215 of 5,315
Thanks guys! It certainly requires some patience, but enjoyable to see the changes - interesting on the Sony note of requiring 200 hours, it sounds like a long time, but over the context of the expected product lifetime, not really that much!

What differences do you mainly find between the WM1A and the W2?
I was considering buying the W2, but the truth is that I love the WM1A with the Project Z firmware. I have compared it with several other sources, and none have come to like me as much as the WM1A, due to the scene and separation that get with my favorite IEMs (Mest and Clairvoyance mainly).

W2 is more analytical, a bit cleaner. Bear in mind, my experience is with a brand new WM1A. It of course lacks the power relative to the WM1A, but does a darn fine job of driving my Z1Rs. It does a lot for the money - a perfect solution for my current streaming needs. I do see a streaming DAP in my future, however none on the market currently tickle my fancy due to issues one way or another.

@Scuba Devils has the MEST Mk2 and a W2, so he can probably give you an overview or how they match :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back