The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Oct 15, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #31 of 5,314
Bliss...

1Z50sZ1R.jpg

Oct 19, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #32 of 5,314

After all these years I really find it funny too in a way to be happy with the 1Z and IER-Z1R.

Bliss!

The reason it’s funny is the whole system is very different from the giant stereo I had at one point in my life.

Oct 19, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #33 of 5,314
After all these years I really find it funny too in a way to be happy with the 1Z and IER-Z1R.

Bliss!

The reason it’s funny is the whole system is very different from the giant stereo I had at one point in my life.

Technology is wonderful and this level of miniaturization for DAPs (and similarly cell phones) has indeed been transformative to our daily lives. I also used to have a giant stereo (stacks of mono amps!) and am glad to not have to take up living room space with that anymore. :ksc75smile:

Oct 19, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #34 of 5,314
My speakers when I was 19 were 2 15” Cerwin Vega drivers and one horn tweeter per speaker. If turned up could be heard for a city block, also the police would come every time.

So much the opposite to be loving the Walkman? Hard to believe, but it’s a progression where you start at point A and end at point B.

AC8A341F-71B6-49F3-8EB6-03C9EE3D8804.jpeg

Edit:

DMP-Z1MK2 (aftermarket firmware for the 1A/1Z) should be released any day now.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #36 of 5,314
Oct 19, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #37 of 5,314
2F3FBA24-C3D7-4B94-B33D-E1FBBDB5F393.jpeg

Welcome children!

If your reading here then you most likely know what the Sony 1Z/1A Walkman portable digital players are. One is gold and one is black; let’s find out (again) how cool they are!

Let’s keep it real! Let’s keep this thread filled with love poems for the Walkmans.

Cheers!

Though this is the most popular Walkman thread now!

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-walkman-os-fw-mods-non-android.943661/

45,000 pages back....pack a lunch.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-wm1z-wm1a.815841/
Thanks for using my photograph :sunglasses:

Oct 19, 2020 at 10:17 PM Post #38 of 5,314
Thanks for using my photograph :sunglasses:
It has this interesting quality because it shows the bottom Walkman port and card door, along with the side buttons. I’m pretty sure no one has ever photographed the 1A and made it look exactly like it looks, but also showed those aspects. Then the top goes on to delineate the Walkman logo which stands out as a non reflection area. It’s amazing! IMO There is more too, but l’ll stop. :)

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #39 of 5,314
It has this interesting quality because it shows the bottom Walkman port and card door, along with the side buttons. I’m pretty sure no one has ever photographed the 1A and made it look exactly like it looks, but also showed those aspects. Then the top goes on to delineate the Walkman logo which stands out as a non reflection area. It’s amazing! IMO There is more too, but l’ll stop. :)
Do you ever take your 1A in the go or is all your listening at home?

Oct 20, 2020 at 8:26 AM Post #40 of 5,314
I don't have it anymore but it surely is one of the best DAPs ever made.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2020 at 8:32 AM Post #41 of 5,314
Do you ever take your 1A in the go or is all your listening at home?

I had hopes of going around town with it walking. But after using it, it became too precious to take out of the house on a regular basis. Though it did go on a few trips?

Even at this point I almost can’t get my head around the fact it’s portable? :0

Oct 20, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #42 of 5,314
Oct 21, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #44 of 5,314
Hello All,
I am new here (obviously), and I created the account to ask a few questions. I am interested in the 1Z, but since it was launched in 2016/17, I am worried about a new model coming out. So my questions are: Is the 1Z likely to be replaced soon-ish? And, When should we hear about a potential 'new 1Z'?

Oct 21, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #45 of 5,314
Hello All,
I am new here (obviously), and I created the account to ask a few questions. I am interested in the 1Z, but since it was launched in 2016/17, I am worried about a new model coming out. So my questions are: Is the 1Z likely to be replaced soon-ish? And, When should we hear about a potential 'new 1Z'?

Current rumour is 1A/1Z will be replaced in 2021, so depending on your need it may be worth waiting. As for the new models only Sony really knows specs & features 1A/1Z remain to be very solid DAP's with the added flexibility of a level of software tuning via regional changes, official & custom firmware.

Right now I would say that the 1Z is a big ask at full price and could potentially devalue in the face of the new model. That said if it ticks all the boxes it's still a great DAP, just need to be mindful of the paring with headgear as the 1A/1Z upper power limit is 250 mV on the 4.4 balanced output. One aspect of the new models I do see coming is increased power output as competition is now extending battery life and pushing power output.

Q-6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back